PDA

View Full Version : Some personal thoughts about 3D, VFX and video editing from a hobbyist...

CaptainMarlowe
02-07-2015, 04:10 AM
Hi there. I shouldn't have drunk so much whisky yesterday night, because I've thinking a lot afterwards, and I wrote this paper this morning while taking my third barrel of coffee, and even took a long time to translate it into English.
I don't know if it's of any kind of interest, but I'm looking forward to comments and own thoughts.
It's basically, about how I came to 3D from a job that has nothing to do with it, and how I see the future as a hobbyist, and maybe in a few years as a freelancer.
In two words, I came to 3D from video editing, and after a few years, I am quite tempted to go back to video editing again as a primary hobby, and reducing my modeling focus to a more animated artistic approach.

http://bit.ly/1AEPEdh

Cheers,

Paul.

adrian
02-10-2015, 08:22 AM
Hi Paul, an interesting read. For me I came into 3D by accident after discovering TrueSpace from a completely unrelated search. As a kid I'd always wanted to be able to draw but having no artistic talent always left me disappointed. I could use tracing paper to re-create existing artwork which felt good for about 2 seconds until the realization that people could tell how I did it. I then had the idea of using a really sharp pencil to trace onto drawing paper. Again this felt great until I realized that doing this not only ruined my existing comics/sci-fi books but if you turned the paper over it was still obvious how I did it because of the deep indentations in the paper!

3D finally allowed me to create my favourite space ships and allowed me to "fly" them and fire lasers!!! Not only that as my confidence and skill set grew 3D allowed me to create what is in my imagination so I can create out of nothing for the first time in my life!!! Up until Zbrush came along, I was limited to anything not related to realistic characters/faces.

Like you I also like video creation from the filming to the editing to the soundtrack/effects - and doing this for clients and getting paid for it is for me anyway, living the dream. Sadly I only do commercial work on an adhoc basis as I don't know how to market myself properly and quite honestly I haven't got the inclination to learn. I'd rather sculpt in ZB or model in LW!!

There seems to be a deep yearning to be creative that is in my inner core. If I go a day without being creative in some way, I feel as if I have wasted that day of my life.

A very thought-provoking article, thanks for sharing :-)

CaptainMarlowe
02-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Hi Adrian thanks for your thoughts.

3D finally allowed me to create my favourite space ships and allowed me to "fly" them and fire lasers!!! Not only that as my confidence and skill set grew 3D allowed me to create what is in my imagination so I can create out of nothing for the first time in my life!!! Up until Zbrush came along, I was limited to anything not related to realistic characters/faces.

Sounds quite familiar to me, except that in my case it's 3D-Coat instead of Brush. ;)