PDA

View Full Version : Houdini Ocean Toolkit 4 LW

maxim capra
02-06-2015, 10:44 AM
Just wanted to inform you, I've recompiled the existing hotocean4lw (https://code.google.com/p/hotocean4lw (https://code.google.com/p/hotocean4lw/)).

Main reason for that was the absence of x64 for Mac.

I've updated all the libraries, used the newest HOT version (https://code.google.com/p/houdini-ocean-toolkit/) and packed everything in one plugin file, so there is no extra DLL to copy around anymore.

Compiled and tested for LW11 and up.

Comes in all flavours: Win32, Win64, MacUB

Feel free to download here in case you need it:
http://www.maximcapra.com (http://www.maximcapra.com/?page_id=81)

Source files and binaries should become available on the authors Google Code site soon, too.

Have fun with it,

Cheers,
Philipp

Greenlaw
02-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Fantastic! Thank you Phillip. I used HOT on a handful of film productions last year and it performed brilliantly. Happy to hear it's still being supported. It sounds like this new compile should simplify installation for multiple computers in a studio environment. Will give it a spin soon.

G.

spigolo
02-06-2015, 02:34 PM
I used it a lot in the past and also recently for some yacht animations...Is great to see that is still supported it seems in these days new plugins are coming out and some old revamp, great!

jeric_synergy
02-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Yikes, have y'all looked at the other plugins there!?

THANKS, PHILIPP!

omichon
02-07-2015, 12:08 AM
Nice update, thank you Philipp for taking up the torch ! Glad to see it updated and easier to install on a render farm :thumbsup:

Oedo 808
02-07-2015, 01:10 AM
Thank you for this, Philipp :thumbsup:

dballesg
02-07-2015, 01:32 AM
Hi,

Thanks Philipp,

I got all your files and I'll try to do my best to update the repository with it.

The repository was created with Mercurial, I need to see if it can be converted to .git only because I think is what everyone is using this days!

Cheers,
David

maxim capra
02-07-2015, 01:56 AM
No problem guys, that's how open source should work :)

Main thanks should go to David (dballesg) as he did the hard work and without him, there would be no hot4lw. And Mike Wolf, too, for his amazing LWPP wrapper. I just did the easy stuff.

@omichon: yes, easy render farm plugin management was the second reason, why I decided I had to do this ;)

@dballesg: hey :) git would be awesome, I think! But the way it is now, is fine, too....

Philipp

Oedo 808
02-07-2015, 01:58 AM
I was just going to post that I read the "Feel free to head over to the Google Code site for the source code and give a big thanks to the guys, who did the main work: David Ballesteros and Mike Wolf."

And so thanks to David and Mike also :)

erikals
02-07-2015, 03:59 AM
yes, big thanks Philipp, David and Mike http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

CaptainMarlowe
02-07-2015, 05:07 AM
Awesome ! I had been forced to bake some mdd's from the old 32 bits version. Having it native in LW mac 64 is a very nice option.
Thanks a lot !

lardbros
02-07-2015, 05:24 AM
AWESOME!!!!
I use this all the time... Brilliant news to see an update!

Thanks sooo much for the effort guys!

JohnMarchant
02-07-2015, 06:01 AM
Thanks Phillip, glad HOT is still being supported.

ianr
02-07-2015, 06:56 AM
Well done for the hard git- coding, it is good to see
a continuing hook for Houdini. Nice One.

Lets hope for more connections,as I have said
before LW is a great frontend for Houndini.

zapper1998
02-07-2015, 09:23 AM
Thank you

sirmikd
02-08-2015, 02:37 PM
Can you give quick guidance on installing this.
I tried copying the hotocean4lw_x64.p file to :
bin/
bin/plugins
support/plugins

where is the correct location and where will it show up in Lightwave interface ?
Very eager to try this !

Greenlaw
02-08-2015, 02:59 PM
The original plugins required that you install the main plugin as normal and some .dlls in the Bin but, unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like this new release only requires the main plugin to be installed.

As with any regular plugin, you can install it from any directory you like. I like to keep my third party stuff in a third party plugins folder outside of the main Lightwave directory. I find this much easier to manage, but there are many opinions about this. Some users prefer to keep all their plugins in the Support folder for each version of Lightwave they have installed and others prefer to keep them in a common shared folder so that the same files can be used by all users on a network, including the render controller.

Using HOT is easy...just apply it to your mesh in the Object Properties panel, under Deform Add Displacement. If you use network rendering, be sure to bake the HOT animation to .mdd and remove HOT, as HOT is not network render compatible.

There's even more to HOT involving generating textures for foam and particle emission, but that gets a little more advanced. Do a search here in these forums for more info.

G.

sirmikd
02-08-2015, 07:50 PM
Thank you - I was not adding the HOT file to the plug in "list" at least I think that was the problem because now it shows in the displacements.
Again thanks for your help.l

dickbill
02-09-2015, 12:38 PM
thanks,
I downloaded it and it looks very nice and simple to use. I just have 2 questions.
1) The ocean depth is the depth at the level of the animation, that is, for a beach it should be shallow, less than a meter right?
2) this toolkit doesn't produce bubbles or foam, just waves, correct?

Greenlaw
02-09-2015, 12:49 PM
thanks,
I downloaded it and it looks very nice and simple to use. I just have 2 questions.
1) The ocean depth is the depth at the level of the animation, that is, for a beach it should be shallow, less than a meter right?
2) this toolkit doesn't produce bubbles or foam, just waves, correct?

Yes on both, but additionally, the kit can can be used generate a texture than can be used to generate foam. You can use this data to create foam texturally or use it to emit particles (or both.) I've mainly used HOT just for displacement and generated 'foam' passes with procedurals. This was because of time constraints which severly limited R&D time on those jobs but the results looked pretty good.

G.

dickbill
02-09-2015, 01:10 PM
oh yes I remember that brilliant foam texturing thread/tutorial. I recall it was some bubbly soapy foam around a straw, done in node editor of course.

Back to Hot Ocean, I see in the node editor there are 2 HotOcean toolkits, one is 2D.
Can you give me the principles for how to make foam from there, briefly?

Greenlaw
02-09-2015, 01:20 PM
I only got to skim the docs regarding the nodes and never got around to using them on those jobs. I'm probably not remembering this correctly but it seemed like there was a node to detect creasing in the mesh and generate a image when it hit a certain threshold. Also, I thought there was another node for rendering a displacement image sequence of what HOT is doing.

I believe somebody in these forums demonstrated the former to create a texture to generate hypervoxels bubbles. Do a search for HOT or H.O.T.--an explanation of the technique should turn up.

G.

dickbill
02-09-2015, 01:28 PM
ok I'll start from there. Thanks
Richard

omichon
02-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Philipp, it seems that HOT Ocean Toolkit shader node is not using all available CPU threads. My tests shows it uses roughly 50%.
If I replace this node by a 3D texture, CPU is at 100% again when rendering.
Is there a way to improve HOT performance on that regard ?

dballesg
02-27-2015, 01:04 AM
Philipp, it seems that HOT Ocean Toolkit shader node is not using all available CPU threads. My tests shows it uses roughly 50%.
If I replace this node by a 3D texture, CPU is at 100% again when rendering.
Is there a way to improve HOT performance on that regard ?

Hi,

If I remember it right, that was due a problem I found when I create HOT between threads provided by LightWave and threads created by the FFTW, if I tried to use all the threads provided by LightWave, the shader node produced an unusable texture. So IIRC I locked the LW thread (making it not multithreaded). And sorry to say I do not have the knowledge to modify the FFTW to make it cooperate.

That is why I added the option of a HOT Node in 2D, so you could bake to textures as you're doing with Dennis Pontonnier Image Node Editor and the Pixel Filter Node Editor.

Just to be sure did you tried to use my original version (the one that needs the dll) and Philipp one? Just in case was something else.

Hope that helps,
David

omichon
02-27-2015, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the clarification, David. I tried your original version and it has the same limitation unfortunately, which makes sense regarding your explanation.
I tried the node in 2D mode to see if there is a performance difference but so far, it has the same performance issue and not the expected result (but maybe I don't use it correctly ?).
Regarding baking a foam texture, I am afraid it can't be a solution in my current case (it will required a really huge texture map).

Edit : that said, if you could develop a little regarding the 2D node and the Node/Pixel filter workflow, it would be nice.

dballesg
02-27-2015, 06:57 AM
Edit : that said, if you could develop a little regarding the 2D node and the Node/Pixel filter workflow, it would be nice.

The idea is that when you're happy with the proper settings on the Displacement plug-in, you save a preset with them. Or take note of them.

On a new clean scene, set the render size to the size you want to bake your texture. Lets say 1024x1024.
Press Ctrl + F8, on the Processing tab > Add Image Filter add the Node Editor - Node Image Filter.
Add a HOT Ocean Toolkit 2D nodes to it, and connect the Displacement Output to the Color One.

Be sure the Resolution parameter is the one that will produce an image of 1024x1024 pixel, 10 in this case.
There is a table on the HOT Guide page 6. See the attached image.

Then render an image sequence with as many frames as you need.
Later you can use that rendered sequence instead of the Displacement plug-in.

The nice thing is you can generate foam sequences as well, or use the Nodal image editor to combine the results of 2 different HOT Ocean Toolkit 2D nodes.

Possibilities this way are quite endless! :)

Hope that helps,
David

omichon
02-27-2015, 07:05 AM
David, thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. Sure it will help and be tested during the week-end.

Davewriter
02-27-2015, 10:36 PM
No problem guys, that's how open source should work :)

Main thanks should go to David (dballesg) as he did the hard work and without him, there would be no hot4lw. And Mike Wolf, too, for his amazing LWPP wrapper. I just did the easy stuff.

@omichon: yes, easy render farm plugin management was the second reason, why I decided I had to do this ;)

@dballesg: hey :) git would be awesome, I think! But the way it is now, is fine, too....

Philipp

Well a Bit THANKS! to all involved!!
Had a little thing niggling away in the back of my head, and this would be of great help.

lightscape
03-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Thanks for this.

OT.
Your mc_saveregions looks really useful and interactive. I do get a crash when I click preview.
http://s12.postimg.org/b88tzvj0t/saveregions.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

stevecullum
08-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Is there an instruction manual for this plugin?

erikals
08-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Yeeeees...! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

download the H.O.T. Ocean Tool-kit for LW Beta V 1.0

you'll find a HOT LW.pdf inside http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

mav3rick
08-20-2015, 02:51 PM
hmm am i under stone .. file date is 2010

dballesg
08-20-2015, 03:04 PM
hmm am i under stone .. file date is 2010

From Philips 1st post on this thread.
http://www.maximcapra.com

And this remembers me I didn't moved the repository!! :cursin:

Cheers
David

stevecullum
08-21-2015, 06:12 AM
Ah! ok got it now - cheers!

seghier
08-21-2015, 07:52 AM
very nice ; quickly create animated sea

prometheus
08-22-2015, 07:59 AM
a lot of this hot ocean topic is overlapping in two threads here...also in the houdini15 thread, where you can find a link to yet another thread with Thomas Leitner showcasing som hot ocean in lightwave and some nice foam imagery...

leitner hot ocean in lightwave
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?137377-Help-motion-baker

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=116688&d=1377784965

houdini 15 thread...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?147555-Houdini-15/page3

lardbros
08-22-2015, 09:51 AM
Whoah... Thanks Prometheus!
That looks incredible... Will subscribe to that thread!

spigolo
11-07-2015, 02:23 AM
I might be missing something but I have installe d the new version and im not getting the node for surfacing anymore..where is it gone?
Another question: I read now that it is not compatibible for network rendering..But I have used it for many animations without any problem..Are you sure?

Thanks

spigolo
11-07-2015, 02:45 AM
It's funny if I load old scenes and I open the surface editor I find the surface node working with all the outputs.. but if I want to create a new one the ocean toolkit node for surfacing shows only the displacement output and nothing more...

Thomas Leitner
11-07-2015, 02:53 AM
It's funny if I load old scenes and I open the surface editor I find the surface node working with all the outputs.. but if I want to create a new one the ocean toolkit node for surfacing shows only the displacement output and nothing more...

Hi,
you have to check "Jacobian" to get the outputs.

ciao
Thomas

spigolo
11-07-2015, 03:11 AM
Ciao Thomas!
Many thanks! I'm a complete idiot!

Greenlaw
11-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Each node on your farm may start the simulation from the same point but different frames, and it's likely you'll wind up with a lot of chattering.

However, you can bake the deformations to MDD for full compatibility with network rendering. You should disable H.O.T. after baking of course to avoid pointless calculations during rendering.

So, even if you are somehow getting it to network render, it's still recommended that you bake the result for speed and efficiency.

G.