PDA

View Full Version : EPS Import, make polygon creates undesired results

perkley
02-06-2015, 09:52 AM
I create a circle in Illustrator and add the border pattern which creates fun designs and then I save as Illustrator EPS version 8. When I import into Lightwave it all looks good, but whenever I try to make a polygon from it then I get undesired results. I have tried all the different import options and haven't found something that works yet. Any thoughts on why it looks good when just points but the polygon wants to jump across the entire thing?

Danner
02-06-2015, 10:05 AM
it seems the shape is too complex for the make polygon algorithm to process, you could cut one segment and use the array tool set to radial to complete the shape.

Wade
02-06-2015, 02:50 PM
You might have to so do clean up. Try just cutting it in half then re-weld it may take care of the point order. Danner's idea is a good one as well.

JoePoe
02-06-2015, 03:35 PM
not really your question....

Are you bringing in the shapes as poly lines on purpose? What happened when trying to bring in closed polys?
Did you use pathfinder in illustrator to knock out the design?

With a correct eps and Auto Axis Drill checked in the eps loader, the object should come in as a polygon with a cutout in the first place.

As to making what you have work.... you could also try:
1) make a poly out of the outside ring only.
2) make a poly out of the inside shape.
3) Boolean subtract or stencil and subtract.

(oh, and always do a merge after an import.... just as a precautionary clean up)

Remember you will have the two point poly still there.

Edit: care to post the eps?

Surrealist.
02-06-2015, 09:02 PM
JoePoe's suggestions are spot on. Just looking at the shape I would not expect pressing p to have the result I was looking for. If you can not get it to import with poly and drill then Boolean as JoePoe suggests.

perkley
02-11-2015, 06:08 PM
Thank you all so much. That really helps me understand the tools a little bit better and what to expect. I just didn't know if I was doing something wrong or not understanding the tools available to me. I can see I just need to do it more correctly and understand the tools a little bit better.