PDA

View Full Version : Which of the best GPU GTX980 ?

benedict_ilagan
02-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Hi otoy octane render,

Please help me decide which of the GPU GTX series card brands is mostly prefered and is compatible by octane renders for lightwave 3D and 3ds max. Cause i've been searching on the net which of the nvidia GTX is sutiable on the 2 3D packages. Can you give me idea which of these GTX card family is most likely the right compatible for octane renders? So i can plan my way on buying an octane render packages for the above mentioned 3D.

Which is best....
Is Palit GTX 980 SuperJetstream good?
Is Evga GTX 980 good?
Is Asus GTX 980 strix good?
You can state other brand...

Looking forward on any suggestions and ideas is highly appreciated.
Thanks for your help in advance. :help: :thumbsup:

lightscape
02-02-2015, 07:39 PM
780 gtx is the best. But you need atleast 2 to get good render time. :D

3dworks
02-04-2015, 11:28 AM
in my setup, the new GTX 980 is noticeably faster than any of my GTX 780 cards, and consumes much less energy... but you need to use octane latest builds to get out everything of the newer card, as older versions are not opimized for it. using an evga branded card here in a mac pro 2010.

HenrikSkoglund
02-04-2015, 11:43 AM
I hear the gtx 980 will be available with 6 and 8 gb ram in March?

benedict_ilagan
02-04-2015, 05:29 PM
in my setup, the new GTX 980 is noticeably faster than any of my GTX 780 cards, and consumes much less energy... but you need to use octane latest builds to get out everything of the newer card, as older versions are not opimized for it. using an evga branded card here in a mac pro 2010.

Yeah, I've read that gtx980 performs faster and in low consumption that needed to make sure,
But which of the gtx980 brand do you use?
Does it have to be in geforce brand or can i use other brands like asus strix or even palit both on gtx980?

I hear the gtx 980 will be available with 6 and 8 gb ram in March?

Happening now... :)
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-290x-tri-x-oc-8gb-review/

HenrikSkoglund
02-05-2015, 01:35 AM
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/sapphire-r9-290x-tri-x-oc-8gb-review/

This is R9 290 card and not a GTX980? There's Titan cards with 6,8 and 12 GB's already too, but as far as I know you can't use AMD's chipsets with Octane, no? Haven't used Octane yet but I'm about to soon.

3dworks
02-05-2015, 03:21 AM
Yeah, I've read that gtx980 performs faster and in low consumption that needed to make sure,
But which of the gtx980 brand do you use?
Does it have to be in geforce brand or can i use other brands like asus strix or even palit both on gtx980?

just read my post more carefully...

Ernest
02-06-2015, 10:18 AM

GeForce is the brand of the actual GTX 980 chip. ASUS, Palit and EVGA all put that same GeForce chips on their cards.

EVGA has been excellent in Customer Service with us. With ASUS, we've had some "rough" troubleshooting experiences, but technically their products are great.

Mr_Q
02-06-2015, 10:21 AM
ASUS Strix is the best for a couple of reasons. It's easy to OC, stays cool, it's quiet.

Gigabyte also offers a fairly intense, easy to OC, quiet card. It's actually quitter than the ASUS by a small bit. They do run a tiny bit warmer though.

EVGAs continue to let down. This generation specifically has been plagued with issues. They are also insanely loud and run HOT.

Sekhar
02-06-2015, 11:11 AM
I doubt the different brands will make much difference, notwithstanding each vendor's bold/wild claims to the contrary. I suggest you just go with whatever brand you trust and gives you a price you like. I have the EVGA GTX 980, and it has been great so far: dead quiet and flawless.

benedict_ilagan
02-06-2015, 06:06 PM
EVGA has been excellent in Customer Service with us. With ASUS, we've had some "rough" troubleshooting experiences, but technically their products are great.

Thanks ernest on your thoughts, i guess issues comes depending on our workstation setup. Currently, im in asus x79 sabertooth motherboard with 64gb memory, i needed to make sure on keeping things right especially without issues.

ASUS Strix is the best for a couple of reasons. It's easy to OC, stays cool, it's quiet.

Gigabyte also offers a fairly intense, easy to OC, quiet card. It's actually quitter than the ASUS by a small bit. They do run a tiny bit warmer though.

EVGAs continue to let down. This generation specifically has been plagued with issues. They are also insanely loud and run HOT.

In 2012 & in 2013, i got a chance to worked on a movie production using the EVGA GTX 700s ti series & it's just great to see us work on a faster workflow specially on realtime & no issues. EVGA are in INTENSE HIT & noisy too..

Thanks Mr. Q

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt the different brands will make much difference, notwithstanding each vendor's bold/wild claims to the contrary. I suggest you just go with whatever brand you trust and gives you a price you like. I have the EVGA GTX 980, and it has been great so far: dead quiet and flawless.

I agree with you Sekhar on the brand trusted & gives good price within the budget. Thanks too.

spherical
02-06-2015, 11:51 PM
I've always run ASUS motherboards. When selecting a video card, I tend to choose one made by ASUS. Pretty much guaranteed to be tested to the max to perform with their own stuff. In a few instances, I've chosen video cards by PNY.