PDA

View Full Version : Simple Question - Bulge

digitalimagery
02-02-2015, 08:29 AM
I'm using LW 10 and need to bulge the face of a rounded square which is slightly extruded. This will have a UV map for a logo element.

I've meshed the shape (probably over kill) to give me a smooth curve. What's the process of actually getting the front face to bulge out?

Thanks
DI

JoePoe
02-02-2015, 10:13 AM
How about Magnet Tool (draw out influence range with RMB).

Or

Move tool with a radial (or weight) falloff.

digitalimagery
02-02-2015, 10:55 AM
I'm sure it will work, Never used those before. Thanks!

DI

How about Magnet Tool (draw out influence range with RMB).

Or

Move tool with a radial (or weight) falloff.

jeric_synergy
02-02-2015, 10:58 AM
Aiyiyi, that's a lot of points. You may have painted yourself into a bit of a corner.

While Magnet and Move:Falloff may work fine, and Move:Falloff=WeightMap even better, you might CONSIDER remaking this geometry using spline patching. You can get some nice curved surfaces in a pretty straightforward, REPEATABLE fashion w/spline patching, just take care to not accidentally lose the splines themselves.

EDIT: or form it with Subds and FREEZE them for polys, if necessary.

JoePoe
02-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Jeric brings up a good point.

How big is this bulge going to be? Smoothing on a poly mesh can handle only so much. SubD would help.

But if no SubD the original mesh might need to be in a more friendly form to accommodate a bulge.
Rather than a square (triangulated) grid, consider something like this.

faulknermano
02-02-2015, 12:14 PM
The Pole tool might also give you a more spherical effect than Magnet.

Surrealist.
02-02-2015, 07:56 PM
I am also more in favor of a SubD version if I was asked to do this. Much more ultimate smoothing at render time:

Explanations on the theory of it on the wiki subD tutorial in my sig:

Many variations as well depending on how sharp you want the crease to be at the base of the bulge.

jeric_synergy
02-02-2015, 11:15 PM
The Pole tool might also give you a more spherical effect than Magnet.
Good reminder of a neglected tool. :thumbsup:

It occurs to me that a spline patch would be a good way to prototype the bulge at various levels of bulgosity, since you could C&P the splines to various layers and use, say, Magnet on them before patching to test various looks.