PDA

View Full Version : Bring Messiah to Mac Campaign!!

tumblemonster
12-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Alright, I finally received a reply from PMG about messiah for Mac. Here it is:

Porting messiah to the Mac really depends on if we get enough requests for a MAC version to be able to justify the
development resources, and at this point it really hasn't happened.
Best regards,

Paula Comensky
pmG Worldwide, LLC
[email protected]
www.projectmessiah.com <http://www.projectmessiah.com

So, here is what we need to do. This plugin is FANTASTIC. I have been looking forward to it for years. I've seen it in action and it rocks. Paula said she needed requests for a Mac version, so lets make those requests!! Please send e-mails requesting a port to:

[email protected]

This plugin rocks! I know we can get it ported, we're good at this kind of stuff! Chuck, Mac programmer guy (sorry, forgot your name at the moment), it would be a great motivator for PMG to hear from you guys, if you wouldn't mind. The ATI problem got fixed a lot faster once you got involved.

Ade
12-01-2003, 05:01 PM
requested....

What pricing are we looking at ?

drclare
12-01-2003, 06:22 PM
On their site right now it says its $600.

JackDeL
12-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Requested! :)

I really expected to see Messiah on the Mac by now. maybe soon!:D

policarpo
12-01-2003, 06:52 PM
Have you guys tested out Motion Builder yet? It rocks on OSX!!! Not to mention that it works well with XSI, 3dsmax, C4DXL, Maya and LightWave.

:)

www.kaydara.com

tumblemonster
12-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Xlr8 is going to post a news item for us as well.

Thanks!

-tm

Triple G
12-01-2003, 11:01 PM
I gave up on Messiah coming to the Mac long ago. I've used v. 1.57, I think it was, for the PC. It's good, but it's not the be-all and end-all solution for character animation. For my money, I'd rather go with Motionbuilder when I need to (due mostly to the fact that it only cost me $200), but I still prefer to keep as much as possible native within LW itself.

drclare
12-02-2003, 01:11 AM
Has anyone seen this new Animanium? It looks pretty good too, but of course is PC only, and more than likely isn't even considering the Mac.

Ade
12-02-2003, 07:52 AM
Its made by Sgea just for 3ds ppl...More for games, mesiah rules otherwise.

mlinde
12-02-2003, 08:34 AM
When PMG was an extension of the animation studio that developed it, rather than a stand-alone business, they claimed that the mac version was in development, just behind the PC version, as I recall. I (and two co-workers at the time) all put down our credit cards for what was (then) a $300 plug-in. That was around the turn of the century. Really. Now the folks developing Messiah are skilled, one of them is the developer of the original puppetmaster plugin for character animation. But last time I checked, they were pushing further from plug-in towards application status. As you make that big leap, you make it hard to develop cross-platform because you are building a UI and getting deeper into system calls.

I'm putting on my frowning naysayers cap, and wishing you all the best of luck, but I gave up on Messiah two years ago. At least they aren't promising the Mac version any more, they have taken the common "if there's interest" stand. Cop out, IMHO, since they originally claimed to have the Mac version in development (way back in the pre 1.0 cycle). Today it costs twice as much and they still don't have even a Mac beta? Three years guys. Good Luck.

js33
12-02-2003, 12:02 PM
Sorry about no Mac version guys. I downloaded the demo and it is pretty sweet. But I'm waiting for 8 because it looks like 8 has alot of the same features coming in it.

But Messiah does offer the realtime playback like MotionBuilder.
So if LW8 has that feature as well there may not be much reason to get Messiah.

Cheers,
JS

tumblemonster
12-02-2003, 02:25 PM
I've just started playing with Motionbuilder, and while I find it powerful, I think it lacks some very useful tools Messiah has, especially in the character rigging and animating area.

-tm

silvergun
12-03-2003, 08:24 AM
I've seen a few demos of Segas animanium and it looks pretty good. I emailed them a few months back enquiring about a mac version and what they basically told me was a bit like project messiah. If they got enough requests from the mac community they would concider porting it to the mac. I had a few friends who are also 3d artists and mac users to email them to much the same response. I think we should all put some hard work in and email all these companies and make them aware that theres a big 3d market out there on the mac.

PeteS
03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
Is it me, or should revisit this push?
I never really hear any solid positive news about motionbuilder 7 and LW.

And Messiah has such a positive hitory that kinda died off a bit. Isn't it time there was a good solid companion package for LW character animation?

...A MAC Version that is!

eblu
03-30-2007, 08:55 AM
why do we need a companion product? why can't lightwave itself have the tools we need for character animation?

messiah is dead. motionbuilder is ok. but I'm Me centric, i'd rather not Have to buy 2 3d apps, when 1 SHOULD be all I need.

TomT
04-03-2007, 08:33 AM
The studio I work at uses Maya for CA work. For various reasons the CA animators like it better. With LW, we experimented Mestro and a couple other tools that made endomorphs a little more sophisticated, but we couldn't get the results we wanted in the long haul. Most of our problems were traced to the very poor performance of OGL, bone, endomorphs and other tools which the animators need to be very interactive to be productive.

With the improvements to underlying framework in LW9 and LW9 UB, this may turn around for LW, but we'll have to see. LW9 UB is still in beta and there is probably some refinement of core animating tools (bones, expressions, timeline) that could stand to be done.

kfinla
04-07-2007, 06:54 AM
I wanted Messiah for mac years ago.. i remember emailing PMG about it, and then the flase hope it was being worked on. I dont know if Messiah is dead.. ill have to look into that, but it would be nice if LW 9.5 or so Marginalized its advantages with a good CA update.

cresshead
04-07-2007, 06:06 PM
one of the main guys developing messiah left a couple of months back...not sure the future of messiah as result of that...so the windows version is currently uncertain...not sure where he went...we could hope he went to newtek eh!

so if you want to be only on osx and not using bootcamp the maya is your only option really...
if you can bootcamp then maybe xsi foundation could be a budget option as it has mdd file import/export
for lw.