PDA

View Full Version : Email scam directed at artists!

shrox
01-31-2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah, something's not quite right...

"Rob art world Inc.
112 st. Mary's road,
liverpool L192 JG,
UNITED KINGDOM
TELE:+447031968928
{[email protected]}

My name is Robert kane, I am an artist with my wife Susan Kane,We own Rob Art World in London(United Kingdom I live in London United Kingdom,with my two kids,four cats, one dog and the love of my life. I have been doing artwork since I was a small child That gives me about 23 years of experience I majored in art in high school and took a few college art courses Most of my work is done in either pencil or airbrush mixed with color pencils.

I have recently added designing and creating artwork on the computer, I have been selling my art for the last 3 years and have had my work featured on trading cards, prints and in magazines,I have sold in galleries and to private collectors from all around the world.I am always facing serious difficulties when it comes to selling my art works to other countries,they are always offering to pay with checks and Bank transfers, which is difficult for me to cash here in London United Kingdom.

I am looking for a representative in the states who will be working for me as a part-time worker and i will be willing to pay 10% for every transaction,which wouldn't affect ur present state of work,someone who would help me receive payments from my customers in your country,i mean someone that is responsible and reliable,because the cost of coming to the state and getting payments is very expensive,i am working on setting up a branch in the state,so for now i need a representative in the united state who will be handling the payment aspect for our company.

These payments are in checks and bank transfers and they would come to you in your name if you are willing to assist as a representative, so all you need do is cash the check or withdraw if its bank transfer deduct your percentage and Western Union Charges then wire the rest back.

But the problem i have is trust,But i have my way of getting anyone that gets away with our money,i mean the FBI branch in Washington gets involve It wouldn't cost you any amount,you are to receive payments which will be sent to you by FedEx or ups from my business partners, which would come in form of a check or bank transfer then u are to cash it and send the cash to me via Western Union or Money Gram.

NOTE:All charges will be deducted from the money so you are rest assured that you wouldn't send a dime out of your personal money.

If you are interested,please get back to me by sending the following
1.Full Name
2.Home Address
3.Mobile and Home Phone Number
4.Profession, age and marital status.
as soon as possible via email at ( [email protected])

Regards

Robert and Susan Kane."

pinkmouse
01-31-2015, 03:08 PM
Well, he's certainly not British.. :D

shrox
01-31-2015, 03:13 PM
Well, he's certainly not British.. :D

Aye!

jasonwestmas
01-31-2015, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't do that even if it was legal lol!

RebelHill
01-31-2015, 05:41 PM
I never knew Liverpool was in London.

roboman
01-31-2015, 06:12 PM
Sounds like the very old scam where the checks you get are fake, but will take a while to come back as fake. You deposit the check thinking it's good and wire the funds Western Union. A week or two later your bank informs you the check was no good and you are majorly over drawn. You contact Western Union and are informed that the funds have been collected by the person you sent them to and you can not get them returned. So you are left holding the bag for how ever much you sent.

This gets done a lot on CraigsList http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

shrox
01-31-2015, 06:44 PM
Sounds like the very old scam where the checks you get are fake, but will take a while to come back as fake. You deposit the check thinking it's good and wire the funds Western Union. A week or two later your bank informs you the check was no good and you are majorly over drawn. You contact Western Union and are informed that the funds have been collected by the person you sent them to and you can not get them returned. So you are left holding the bag for how ever much you sent.

This gets done a lot on CraigsList http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

But this is different, it's art!

Surrealist.
01-31-2015, 08:31 PM
Here is a long list. This one is in there someplace:

http://interfraud.org/ni_fake_jobs.htm

Oedo 808
01-31-2015, 09:17 PM
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126789&d=1422764105

spherical
01-31-2015, 11:20 PM
Yeah, something's not quite right...
--snip--
I am an artist with my wife Susan Kane,We own Rob Art World in London(United Kingdom I live in London United Kingdom,with my two kids,four cats, one dog and the love of my life.

This is a BIG CLUE. Same introduction used on countless scams. The "love of my life" is ubiquitous... to say the very least.

Markc
02-01-2015, 04:39 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126789&d=1422764105
Phonejacker - loved that show :thumbsup:
The sad thing is a lot of people are still gullible to this sort of thing (you get nothing for nothing).

caustics
02-01-2015, 05:53 AM
Hi, just out of curiosity ... is there any reason not to use PayPal for this?

I think it's a great way to do business (at least from a consumers point of view) and became my preferred (and by any means most secure) payment method over the years.

Once I used it to receive and amount of money ... and had no problem receiving it.

Just a thought.

Regards.

Markc
02-01-2015, 06:51 AM
Because it's a scam!

shrox
02-01-2015, 12:21 PM
Hi, just out of curiosity ... is there any reason not to use PayPal for this?

I think it's a great way to do business (at least from a consumers point of view) and became my preferred (and by any means most secure) payment method over the years.

Once I used it to receive and amount of money ... and had no problem receiving it.

Just a thought.

Regards.

It's a scam. The checks they send to you to cash are fake. When the bank finds out, you are stuck owing the amount back to the bank.

caustics
02-01-2015, 12:45 PM
As far as I can remember there are no checks involved ... it's a direct bank transfer ... the money should simoly appear on your account after a couple of days following the withdrawal.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ2316&topicID=ADD_WITHDRAW_MONEY&m=TCI

I even used PayPal to buy Lightwave a couple of months ago.

As I said ... my experience with it are very good ... I have nothing to complain. The best thing is you have access to you complete transaction history several months back. I bet on that even your bank doesn't have this ;-)

Regards.

shrox
02-01-2015, 12:55 PM
As far as I can remember there are no checks involved ... it's a direct bank transfer ... the money should simoly appear on your account after a couple of days following the withdrawal.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?solutionId=FAQ2316&topicID=ADD_WITHDRAW_MONEY&m=TCI

I even used PayPal to buy Lightwave a couple of months ago.

As I said ... my experience with it are very good ... I have nothing to complain. The best thing is you have access to you complete transaction history several months back. I bet on that even your bank doesn't have this ;-)

Regards.

This one is obviously a scam, stay away!

caustics
02-01-2015, 01:05 PM
Ok, perhaps it is really not the right thing for the business you're after ... good luck then ;-)

shrox
02-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Ok, perhaps it is really not the right thing for the business you're after ... good luck then ;-)

I am kind of concerned, you really think this particular email is legit?

caustics
02-01-2015, 02:26 PM
Well I am not a PayPal consultant ... but hey they have accounts for constituted companies which are different from those for private persons. You certainly can file for one.

The company I am working for has one too and is it used primarily to pay software license fees for foreign companies. Everything legit with invoice number, transaction number and such. Of course there apply fees and this may vary from country to country. Here in Brazil it's most complicated I think.

I'm just speaking from my personal experience ... but if you don't know it or don't have experience with ... I would suggest you to definitely have a deeper look in it to see if it suits your needs.

The only drawback I can remember of is that one has to sign up first before beeing able to use the service and make purchases. They even validate the credit card before you can use it for payments over paypal. They perform a pseudo transaction which generates a random number which appears on your card account that you have to enter later to assure the card is yours.

Regards.

Skonk
02-01-2015, 02:36 PM
lol @ this entire conversation and it's misunderstandings....

@caustics they aint saying paypal is a scam. They're saying what is being requested in the email posted in post #1 is a scam.

Also, I suspect you may just be a troll

cagey5
02-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Yep. I've pulled up a chair and beer for this one... It just gets funnier. :)

Oedo 808
02-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Phonejacker - loved that show :thumbsup:
The sad thing is a lot of people are still gullible to this sort of thing (you get nothing for nothing).

Ha, I don't actually remember having seen the show, I just know that image pops up from time to time when a scam is the topic of conversation. I just watched this clip on Youtube :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA3zhzT1wDo

caustics
02-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Hahaha ... shame on us (me) non-native english speakers ... I should have looked up 'scam' before replying to the post ... couldn't he've used 'fraud' as this is already in my vocabulary ;-)

Regards.

c.1
02-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Ok i checked, the member of the Nigerian Royal Family that is going to deposit $5,000,000,000.00 into my bank account ( I get 10% just for helping out) says that this is not a scam, it is real............hahahahahaha! Sorry, these kind of douchebags take advantage of way too many naive people!

Markc
02-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Funny thing is, that youtube video includes a clip of the Albert Dock, Liverpool :lol:

shrox
02-01-2015, 03:18 PM
Hahaha ... shame on us (me) non-native english speakers ... I should have looked up 'scam' before replying to the post ... couldn't he've used 'fraud' as this is already in my vocabulary ;-)

Regards.

Yes, it's fraud, and the requested action is illegal, and I am glad you learned a new word!

scam
rip-off
conman

All these can mean fraud.

BokadCastle
02-01-2015, 03:19 PM
I Google Earth'd the address given.

The full address should be:
112 st. Mary's road,
Liverpool, Merseyside, L19 2JG,
UNITED KINGDOM

And this is what it looks like, the street number is visible in 3 places:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Iq8yk8dpjRUGV5UXNSd0liS2c/view?usp=sharing

Caveat Emptor.

danielkaiser
02-01-2015, 04:40 PM
I googled the Liverpool address and this little tidbit came up.

http://www.crime-research.org/news/12.12.2004/843/comments/?p=118

bobakabob
02-02-2015, 02:51 PM
I googled the Liverpool address and this little tidbit came up.

http://www.crime-research.org/news/12.12.2004/843/comments/?p=118

Unbelievable... There's a forum full of people who've actually replied to these emails.

spherical
02-02-2015, 03:40 PM
Heh, we decided to lead one on once, just to see how far they'd go and what they would send as payment. This was one of the "We want to buy your artwork and our shipper will come by to pick it up -- we'll send extra money to pay the shipper & you keep the rest" scams. Said he was in the UK and moving to South Africa, so the goods will be shipped there. We'd be obtuse about things he wanted and he'd ramp up with "enticements", then eventually started calling here. The calls became increasingly threatening, as he saw a mark slipping through his fingers when we weren't jumping right on board. We strung him along for a couple of weeks. I began running the scenarios and, recognizing that this is a person who has no regard for anyone, identified that he could send a hit man to rough us up, or worse. So, we told him that his calls had been traced, the police and FBI knew where he was and want to talk with him about mail fraud, which is a Felony. Calls and emails stopped.

The USPS Money Orders they sent were laughable. Real ones have a watermark in the paper and they printed it in halftone. Serial numbers were in the wrong location and not in sequence. Cutting was off, IOW, borders didn't match by a lot, nor did the dimensions. Paper was obviously just copier paper having no embedded threads and certainly not any rag content. We sent them and a journal of all that transpired to the FBI.

shrox
02-02-2015, 04:02 PM
Heh, we decided to lead one on once, just to see how far they'd go and what they would send as payment. This was one of the "We want to buy your artwork and our shipper will come by to pick it up -- we'll send extra money to pay the shipper & you keep the rest" scams. Said he was in the UK and moving to South Africa, so the goods will be shipped there. We'd be obtuse about things he wanted and he'd ramp up with "enticements", then eventually started calling here. The calls became increasingly threatening, as he saw a mark slipping through his fingers when we weren't jumping right on board. We strung him along for a couple of weeks. I began running the scenarios and, recognizing that this is a person who has no regard for anyone, identified that he could send a hit man to rough us up, or worse. So, we told him that his calls had been traced, the police and FBI knew where he was and want to talk with him about mail fraud, which is a Felony. Calls and emails stopped.

The USPS Money Orders they sent were laughable. Real ones have a watermark in the paper and they printed it in halftone. Serial numbers were in the wrong location and not in sequence. Cutting was off, IOW, borders didn't match by a lot, nor did the dimensions. Paper was obviously just copier paper having no embedded threads and certainly not any rag content. We sent them and a journal of all that transpired to the FBI.

Excellent!