PDA

View Full Version : lw brush last day for 129 - then its 169

vonpietro
01-31-2015, 11:52 AM
lw brush - has great tool sets for modeler.
the slide - with wrinkle option tool is for me the stand out feature, worth the price alone.
suddenly you can make your clothing look fantastic, quickly. wrinkles intuitively where you want them.

That one feature alone is worth it, but they give you 14.

The demo doesn't do the usefulness of the tools justice. This tool set was much needed in modeler.
way to go 3rd powers - thanks again for all these super tools.

their sale is till jan 31 today - so today is a great day to support 3rd powers.
their pay pal option allows for credit card - so don't worry if you don't have pay pal, it didn't matter, you can still use your credit card no problems.

IF you get it, you wont regret it - they also have a REFUND policy I saw, but honestly I didn't read it, theres no way i'd return it.
=)

Ryan Roye
01-31-2015, 12:12 PM
The LWbrush tools have replaced almost all of the most common tools I use in modeler. IE:

- Drag net is made obsolete by the LWB grab; no surprise there.

- Translate/Rotate is combined into a single tool with the LWB translate function, and have several advantages such as multi-direction rotations and polygon-island manipulations that don't require selecting things first. The normal translate/rotate functions are still however needed for selection-based manipulations.

- LWB Unweld replaces the drag, weld, and unweld tools in native LW (it combines all three into a single tool)

- Like shown in videos, the Knife tool is vastly superior to LW's native implementation. It can also be made to work on subdivided geometry and works predictably.

- The Bandsaw tool can interpolate the cuts it create (make the cut curve between the difference of connected polygons).

- LWB Bandglue is easier to use and requires less clicking that LW's bandglue.

- LW's native smooth tool is made obsolete by LWB smooth due to interactivity.

- The tools are being made to work with symmetry; few of the above said replaced native tools actually work with symmetry. Speaking of which, the way symmetry works in LWB is smarter in approach and does not demand that every point be 100% identical... in fact an asymmetric mesh can be edited symmetrically along the X plane... pretty cool.

... and that's on top of the tools that allow the user to do things normally reserved for beefier modeling programs. I really like how all of these tools are geared towards making the modeling workflow a much more artist friendly process. Highly recommended, the tools are more than worth their asking price.

brent3d
01-31-2015, 01:04 PM
LW Brush is a must-have tool! In Modeler the ability to Mesh Sculpt your object alone will accelerate your creative workflow. But check the common Modeler tools that LW Brush replaces as beautifully listed by Ryan Roye :thumbsup: if you still have doubts.
14 tools and I'm still amazed by Pull/Push, Grab, and Smooth...Crazy:D (The tactile feel you get from using the brush tool is amazing!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J41F1u1PYOg

brent3d
01-31-2015, 01:09 PM
The LWbrush tools have replaced almost all of the most common tools I use in modeler. IE:

- Drag net is made obsolete by the LWB grab; no surprise there.

- Translate/Rotate is combined into a single tool with the LWB translate function, and have several advantages such as multi-direction rotations and polygon-island manipulations that don't require selecting things first. The normal translate/rotate functions are still however needed for selection-based manipulations.

- LWB Unweld replaces the drag, weld, and unweld tools in native LW (it combines all three into a single tool)

- Like shown in videos, the Knife tool is vastly superior to LW's native implementation. It can also be made to work on subdivided geometry and works predictably.

- The Bandsaw tool can interpolate the cuts it create (make the cut curve between the difference of connected polygons).

- LWB Bandglue is easier to use and requires less clicking that LW's bandglue.

- LW's native smooth tool is made obsolete by LWB smooth due to interactivity.

- The tools are being made to work with symmetry; few of the above said replaced native tools actually work with symmetry. Speaking of which, the way symmetry works in LWB is smarter in approach and does not demand that every point be 100% identical... in fact an asymmetric mesh can be edited symmetrically along the X plane... pretty cool.

... and that's on top of the tools that allow the user to do things normally reserved for beefier modeling programs. I really like how all of these tools are geared towards making the modeling workflow a much more artist friendly process. Highly recommended, the tools are more than worth their asking price.

Totally agree with you Ryan, you said it all :thumbsup:

lightscape
01-31-2015, 11:20 PM
The sale is extended to Feb 2.
http://www.3rdpowers.com/index_store.html

I'm really tempted. But I already have zbrush and 3dcoat for sculpting and modo is not bad either.
I keep looking at the lwb grab used on anime character. Is it really that smart that it can affect the groups of polys and try to keep the shape of surrounding areas intact? When its grabbing the hair, why isn't the polys behind it(the face) getting affected? That seems impossible without masking capabilities.

spherical
01-31-2015, 11:38 PM
We have ZBrush and 3DCoat and Modo and just tonight ordered a second seat of LWB. Not that we have deep pockets, mind you. We don't.

My SO/partner is just learning LW, after having a seat since v9.6! She attempted yesterday a, for me (and I'm far from what would be labelled accomplished in this circle), simple object using native tools and experienced significant difficulties. We got through them together (with me losing a few more hairs and doing a lot of deep breathing), but LWB would have made the operations so much more intuitive. We're also going to get a second seat of LWCAD, because... duh.

lightscape
02-01-2015, 12:01 AM
So are you able to do what I mentioned? Brush away a foreground poly without affecting the polys behind it? Like that hair with the characters face at the back not being affected. That's something other brush engine can't do easily without masking.

lightscape
02-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Less than 48 hours left.

jeric_synergy
02-01-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm in. Now, I should really do some modeling.....

lightscape
02-01-2015, 09:10 PM
Still on the fence especially now i found out obj export is broken.

jeric_synergy
02-01-2015, 09:39 PM
Still on the fence especially now i found out obj export is broken.
??? Is there some sort of export tool in LWBrush?? That doesn't seem to apply....

lightscape
02-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Nope. But my main purpose of getting lwb was to do morphs in modeller.
I still use modeller for organic poly modelling even if I have modo, etc. Gizmoless modeller is still the fastest for organic poly modelling.

Now, if the obj export in modeller is broken, might as well do the morphs in zbrush.
I could open the file in lw 9 and export from there but that's a hassle.

Btw since you bought it can you test brushing a foreground poly without affecting the polys behind it?

jeric_synergy
02-01-2015, 10:09 PM
Btw since you bought it can you test brushing a foreground poly without affecting the polys behind it?
So, it's LWM's export that's broken. OK.

Still waiting on registration: lw3d.com didn't cooperate w/ 3dP's servers and we had to do it manually, and it's Sunday night in Japan. No hurry, someone else here can do it.

Also, I'm still on 11.6.3, so if the OBJ exp is a 2015 thang, I'm no use anyway.

lightscape
02-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Its both lw 11 and 2015 that's broken. I never noticed before because I always did the base in modeller and did morphs in zbrush and exported from zbrush. Modo's obj export also works so its a modeller issue. Lw 9 works as well.

jeric_synergy
02-01-2015, 11:18 PM
Sucks. ****** about it on the replacement for fogbugz, I know it'd be a big thing for studio pipelines (not so much for me), it should get fixed.

VermilionCat
02-02-2015, 05:22 AM

There's an option which determines effect area. Global or Surface(and this is what you mentioned. Only connected polys are effected.)

CaptainMarlowe
02-02-2015, 12:15 PM
What's broken in .OBJ export in 11 ? I export .OBJ all the time without too many problems.

bobakabob
02-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Obj export works fine in LW 2015.

You can't export morphs from LW in obj format but you can in fbx.

Not sure why this should be a problem. I'm creating facial morphs in LW Modeler with LW Brush and exporting to Maya in fbx (as creating blendshapes in Maya is a pain by comparison). It all works great. Shame cause it sounds like you're missing out.

sudac20
02-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Use FBX... works fine

jasonwestmas
02-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Use FBX... works fine

That won't work with UV Layout :D

I actually recommend having interactive sculpting capabilities in all applications, it's useful for so much stuff. Get this LWBrush toolset! ;)

lightscape
02-02-2015, 07:33 PM
Obj export works fine in LW 2015.

You can't export morphs from LW in obj format but you can in fbx.

Not sure why this should be a problem. I'm creating facial morphs in LW Modeler with LW Brush and exporting to Maya in fbx (as creating blendshapes in Maya is a pain by comparison). It all works great. Shame cause it sounds like you're missing out.

You can I just did in lw 9 obj export.
Not missing out using fbx, newtek did a decent job there. Not all apps support fbx import though. There's one checkmark in the obj export that did fix it in lw 11.

For the lazy peeps attached a menu branch of lwb.
Still testing it out but seems the symmetry gets off from time to time using grab, move, smooth. Just like Modo. :devil:

lightscape
02-02-2015, 08:19 PM

I actually recommend having interactive sculpting capabilities in all applications, it's useful for so much stuff. Get this LWBrush toolset! ;)

I'm pretty impressed with the feel of the brushes. Glad I got it with the discount but even without I think its worth it. I think this will lessen the need to go to zbrush for creating morphs.

jeric_synergy
02-02-2015, 11:22 PM
??? That's ambiguous: you mean that LWLayout doesn't support UV mapping via FBX import?

Hail
02-03-2015, 04:16 AM
I guess he is refering to "Headus UV Layout"
It is an app dedicated to laying out UVs.

jasonwestmas
02-03-2015, 07:18 AM
yeah Headus still only imports obj. it's a minor annoyance seeing as I can send my model to zbrush or LW11.6.

jeric_synergy
02-03-2015, 05:12 PM
Sounds like it's not LWDev's problem.

jwiede
02-03-2015, 09:55 PM

OBJ is still a very broadly-used interchange format in 3D. That is more than enough justification why LW needs to have reliable, fully-featured OBJ import/export capabilities.

lightscape
02-03-2015, 10:02 PM

Anything coming out from lightwave like obj, fbx, alembic should work.
Anything imported into lightwave should work.
And there should be presets created by newtek for each format and each source.

Anyway back to LWB

Requests.

Smooth - function like a skinwrap. In 3dmax there's a brush skinwrap function that will contrain a mesh to a background object. So its an interactive heatshrink in lightwave. Lwbrush would be perfect for something like that.

Vertex color map brush - the airbrush in modeller is very slow. Maybe LWB can improve this workflow. Maybe add some brush preset in the future and you have atleast painting capability in modeller that you can bake to texture later.

jeric_synergy
02-03-2015, 11:22 PM
Anyway back to LWB

Requests.
Did you purchase?

lightscape
02-04-2015, 01:52 AM
Did you purchase?

Post 21, 22