PDA

View Full Version : Clearer Renders and Fog Circles

Columbo24
01-30-2015, 04:12 PM
Hi
1.I'm lighting a scene with an area and distant light. When I render it it's still a little grainy, not as sharp as when I'm using point lights and spots. i can't seem to remember what setting I use to up the quality. Is it aliasing? What are tips for settings to get the best renders?
2.I'm also using the fog setting in volumetrics and I'm supposed to be seeing fog circles in layout to help use it. I have it checked in properties under show fog circles but none are appearing . Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill

prometheus
01-30-2015, 05:06 PM
Hi
1.I'm lighting a scene with an area and distant light. When I render it it's still a little grainy, not as sharp as when I'm using point lights and spots. i can't seem to remember what setting I use to up the quality. Is it aliasing? What are tips for settings to get the best renders?
2.I'm also using the fog setting in volumetrics and I'm supposed to be seeing fog circles in layout to help use it. I have it checked in properties under show fog circles but none are appearing . Any ideas?
Thanks
Bill

fog settings in openGL, those are really not much of help, it simply shows two radius circles to display the min and max distance around the camera, can only be seen in orto views, but I think you are off scale with your models?

try and zoom out in the top view to see if the circels show up, but they are really not helpful for you anyway.

Grainy renders, what you showcase is VPR previewer, and you are probably using draft settings for that, and you have to go to vpr settings and uncheck draft, but you should use the final render for final results..not vpr.
area lights, you have to go to render tab and increase light samples.

not sure why you want to add fog for such product shot it seems you are trying to do?

Columbo24
01-30-2015, 08:27 PM
It's a 2010 Alban tutorial.

prometheus
01-31-2015, 12:54 PM
It's a 2010 Alban tutorial.

doesnīt say much ..don īt have it, nor why you should use fog?

Skip the fog, setup a proper cyce background instead in white and some additional lights, and follow my suggestions on the light sample increase, and unceck draft in VPR settings, and also ..use a proper final render when finished tweaking..the grain will be fixed if you set enough light samples, and it also depends on camera AA settings.

If you for some reason need fog for giving some depth, or blend background ...you really can do without the openGL circles to display the min max radius, you do have vpr and can see in realtime the effect when you tweak it.

Michael

spherical
01-31-2015, 11:46 PM
Skip the fog, setup a proper cyce background instead in white and some additional lights, and follow my suggestions on the light sample increase, and unceck draft in VPR settings, and also ..use a proper final render when finished tweaking..the grain will be fixed if you set enough light samples, and it also depends on camera AA settings.

If you for some reason need fog for giving some depth, or blend background ...you really can do without the openGL circles to display the min max radius, you do have vpr and can see in realtime the effect when you tweak it.

In order for the majority to understand this, a short tutorial would be really great. I've had some issues with fog that I just had to find workarounds for that ultimately weren't all that successful, but instead an acceptable compromise. Having a better/predictable solution would be cool.