PDA

View Full Version : Creating cloth with knots?

Svenart
01-30-2015, 01:43 PM
For my current work I need to create a couple of special curtains, knotted to a bedpost. Unfortunately I have no Idea how to do this. Should I try it with lw cloth, blender or maybe marvelous designer? Can anyone give me a advice, knows a turorial or maybe an artist who can easily create this kind of work?

I have attached a small image to show how it should look like.126753

01-30-2015, 01:58 PM
Rope Editor comes to mind as an easy to work with solution.
I think Norm is still selling it.

Sensei's spline editor also might do the trick and it, too, is interactive.

Looks like fun work.

Surrealist.
01-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Yeah that kind of thing you can do with a cloth modifier and bones. However I have never done a knot specifically, I would probably in that case premodel the knot. I don't know, but with some experimentation I could do it. It is just a process of figuring out a good startinig position and then moving things into place with the bones to create the effects. Kind of like doing it as if it was in real life, how it would be draped etc. The other option, simply model it by hand. Zbrush would be a very good option in this case.

Here is a discussion on this general technique for cloths and I show some of what I am talking about with bones:

http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?337994-how-to-correctly-deal-with-blender-cloth-sim

Works in LW also. :)

01-30-2015, 03:32 PM
Ha,
Never thought of it along that line. Makes sense.

Nice tute. Yours?

Surrealist.
01-30-2015, 04:09 PM
On the Blender forums, yeah that is me. And me here on a LightWave forum sending you to a link on the Blender forums for some examples I did in Maya. :D

But I did start out learning how to do this in LightWave and it works basically the same. You can fix the cloth to weights that are driven by bones and you can then animate the object into positions. This is great for things like curtains or the character examples I showed there.

vonpietro
01-30-2015, 04:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ACslURz1Go
this is a good starting point for the curtain, it lets the sim make the pleats.

Once you get the pleats - then try deforming it with the bones as mentioned. (in the closed form of the curtain it's nice and pleaty a bone chain should do just nicely, just make the curtain extra long)

awesome job on your medieval stuff by the way.