PDA

View Full Version : RPC failed... any suggestions? I want Trees in my scenes

AbsoluteDesign
12-01-2003, 01:51 PM
Hi,

I used to use RPC (Archvision) in my animations years ago, since I have updated to Lightwave 7 they no longer support RPC.

My goal is to have photo realistic trees and shrubs in my scenes... with out the bog of having geometric objects.

RPC used a poligon with an image map of a tree with a alpha, and every time the camera moved if recalulated wich of the 360 degrees of images to use for that rendered shot... pretty engenious.

So... any suggestions of what to use now?

Thanks

email: [email protected]

ursa
12-01-2003, 03:14 PM
i still use a similar method as u describe for placing large numbers of distant trees. Fore more highly detailed images, i use 3d trees and hd instance to create randomly scaled and tinted copies.

ursa

AbsoluteDesign
12-01-2003, 03:33 PM
But is there some kind of plugin available, instead individually applying each texture? I mean, with RPC I had people walking by and trees up close and fountains, it was really quite photorealistic.

I guess you could do that manually, but it would take a while, if you wanted to add 50+ bushes and 100+ trees and 20+ people.

Hervé
12-01-2003, 11:50 PM
www.polas.net

Hervé
12-02-2003, 01:12 AM
haaaaa, forgot..... it is called "face2camera"

Matt
12-02-2003, 02:13 AM
www.marlinstudios.com have a good range, all come with LightWave models that fit the images.

You can then place points in Modeler (instead of proxy items like in RPC) then use a script called 'Layout Clone' by Nir Hermoni.

This loads objects from disk into Layout where the points are. You can put random scale / rotation, but as already mentioned best to set the objects (the trees) to target the camera, but only set the heading value to target, leave the rest (pitch, bank) to 'Keyframes'.

AbsoluteDesign
12-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Thank you all very much!!! This has been a huge help. I will let you all know how it goes.