PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush 4R7 available

djwaterman
01-29-2015, 06:29 AM
Yay!

http://pixologic.com/

adrian
01-29-2015, 07:08 AM
Great stuff, I hope Panel Loops work in this version.

jasonwestmas
01-29-2015, 07:11 AM
lol, site is overloaded. No surprise.

djwaterman
01-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Yeah, right in the middle of my download. I guess I'll wait a few days and try again.

bobakabob
01-29-2015, 09:16 AM
Once the servers have recovered it will be great to have even more tools after the excitement of LW Brush and fun pushing ZB to its 64 bit limit. Instancing also looks interesting.

jasonwestmas
01-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Once the servers have recovered it will be great to have even more tools after the excitement of LW Brush and fun pushing ZB to its 64 bit limit. Instancing also looks interesting.

I've been waiting forever it seems for 64 bit. That will speed my process a great deal. Splitting up models constantly and trying to merge them later can be a pain.

Greenlaw
01-29-2015, 12:30 PM
I've been trying to download all morning but no luck. Apparently everybody else on the planet is hitting their site too.

G.

jasonwestmas
01-29-2015, 12:38 PM
I've been trying to download all morning but no luck. Apparently everybody else on the planet is hitting their site too.

G.

Yup everybody and their dog's mom.

01-29-2015, 02:53 PM
Dog's mom's boyfriend is still at it...

jasonwestmas
01-29-2015, 05:46 PM
Do try the 64 bit version. I have a 28millon poly model with several subtools, 32bit version of 4R6 couldn't even rotate it with all the subtools visible. 64 bit Zbrush didn't even break a sweat.

Edit: Wow even the 32 bit version of 4R7 is super fast too!

pming
01-29-2015, 11:20 PM
I'm still flabbergasted that Pixologic is still giving it away to users as a FREE upgrade. o_O How do they even make money? Well, however they do it, thank Fu-Xing they do! :D

I'm most interested in the 64-bit and ZModeler! I've only played about 10 minutes with ZModeler...and I'm blown away by it's potential. Once I learn the hot-keys and muscle-memory layout of where things are, I can see ZBrush turning into my primary modeler. Period.

So excited!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

djwaterman
01-29-2015, 11:33 PM
Yeah, just downloading now, this latest incarnation is going to make me want to stick with ZBrush and learn it proper, because of ZModeler. Download complete. Yippee.

adrian
01-30-2015, 02:25 AM
Can't wait to try it for myself. I think the biggest model I've ever had was around 3 million polys, so hearing that ZB4.7 doesn't even flinch at 28 million is very exciting!! Although how the heck would you get that into LW?

djwaterman
01-30-2015, 02:40 AM
I have a basic question which i figured I'd also ask here because I may get a quicker response. I just want to start out with a simple cube as I see in some of the demo videos, but I can't find that cube anywhere, a basic six polygon box. In the videos it looks pink and blue. Anyone? And is there a specific place to ask these newbie questions of the ZBrush forums?

01-30-2015, 03:20 AM
That's a tool so it's on the tool palette.
The color scheme you speak of isn't going to be present in the tools area as what you describe sounds like the cube has been placed on the canvas with polygroups turned on.

I would suggest more reading than asking questions. Grab the manual and have a look. There are A LOT of things going on in ZB where the manual is better than the thousand questions you need to ask to get the same info.

With that said, your questions might get more traction here; the zbforums are great, just very dense.

djwaterman
01-30-2015, 03:51 AM
It's a new feature called Quickmesh, you open a cube tool, in the geometry tab, you take down its levels to the lowest and delete it's higher levels. Then you look down the tool list for Initialize, open that and choose Qcube (if doing a cube), it will convert the geometry to a polygon cube, there are sliders to reduce or raise the amount of segments, in my case I set the X,Y and Z to one to get a basic 6 sided cube. There is the same function for Qsphere and Qcylinder. This is so you can create basic primitives to start a model with Zmodeler.

Definitely hoping for a good video walk through of some of this stuff at some point soon as people start using it.

gordonrobb
01-30-2015, 04:13 AM
I cannot download it. When I enter my details into the 'request link' window, I get just lots of text. Have aksed on their website. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Really want to play with it :(

tonymax99
01-30-2015, 09:13 AM
hi, has anyone gotten LW2015 and Zbrush R7 to work via GoZ, Zbrush doesn't seem to find LW2015 when I force a reinstall

thanks for any help

Tony

djwaterman
01-30-2015, 09:20 AM
hi, has anyone gotten LW2015 and Zbrush R7 to work via GoZ, Zbrush doesn't seem to find LW2015 when I force a reinstall

thanks for any help

Tony

Have you gone to Preferences and opened GoZ and manually chosen the program you want to send stuff to? However I'm still using 11.6.2.

djwaterman
01-30-2015, 09:22 AM
I cannot download it. When I enter my details into the 'request link' window, I get just lots of text. Have aksed on their website. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Really want to play with it :(

I doubt you're doing anything wrong, it could just be something to do with the demand of people downloading. What do you mean lots of text?

tonymax99
01-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Have you gone to Preferences and opened GoZ and manually chosen the program you want to send stuff to? However I'm still using 11.6.2.

yes but Lw2015 doesn't show in the list, modo 801 does and poser, but not LW

T

Surrealist.
01-30-2015, 10:17 AM
I have a basic question which i figured I'd also ask here because I may get a quicker response. I just want to start out with a simple cube as I see in some of the demo videos, but I can't find that cube anywhere, a basic six polygon box. In the videos it looks pink and blue. Anyone? And is there a specific place to ask these newbie questions of the ZBrush forums?

There are two forums under "Support" about half way down that you can get answers to questions.

jasonwestmas
01-30-2015, 12:37 PM
yes but Lw2015 doesn't show in the list, modo 801 does and poser, but not LW

T

I'll check when I get home but I would imagine NT will have to update their GoZ functionality with R7.

tonymax99
01-30-2015, 12:42 PM
I'll check when I get home but I would imagine NT will have to update their GoZ functionality with R7.

thanks jason,

its strange as it indicates cinema 4d and 3dsmax both of which i dont have and have never installed a demo etc, and the GoZ menu is in lightwave from the 4R6 version

T

MAUROCOR
01-30-2015, 01:07 PM
I just did the download! And this upgrade is FREE!!! Thanks, Pixologic!;)

tonymax99
01-30-2015, 01:07 PM
well, i pressed GoZ in LW after loading a model, it went to zbrush ok but from zbrush to LW, this seems borked or im not doing it right, worked great in modo 801 tho
T

edit, think its sorted now...T

saranine
01-30-2015, 04:08 PM
In ZR7 under preferences you set the paths for GOZ and when it LW 2015 isn't in the list just browse to layout and modeller.

jasonwestmas
01-30-2015, 04:56 PM
Yeah if you were using R6 with layout and modeler all you have to do is update the paths inside of Preferences>GOZ section inside of R7. Then just send objects back an forth as usual.

bobakabob
01-31-2015, 02:53 AM
Downloaded and installed last night... 64 bit version is a beast. You can keep subdividing to crazy levels which should result in far more detailed models and normal maps in LW.

I've never used GoZ (just importing / exporting and applying displacement nodes manually works well enough) so may I ask a silly question... Do you point ZB to Layout, Modeler or both? I assume if you're making changes in ZB they automatically update in both LW apps? With LW being split it's a tad confusing so any dos and don'ts greatly appreciated.

jasonwestmas
01-31-2015, 07:16 AM
Zbrush simply views lightwave as two entirely separate applications. If you have never used GOZ before you have to press the I/O> GoZ button for your Layer1 model first to install the Lightwave plugin into Zbrush. This can be done in layout or modeler. You can see the current directories that GoZ is using inside of Preferences>GoZ inside of Zbrush and also in the 'R' button inside the tool palette.

When you update the model using GoZ, it saves over the lwo file that modeler and/OR layout was reading from which causes it to update in both applications if you want it to.

Note that GoZ in Zbrush does not view lightwave layers as separate objects, it only respects layer one. . . even though you can now send objects to zbrush from any lightwave layer.

tonymax99
01-31-2015, 01:30 PM
Note that GoZ in Zbrush does not view lightwave layers as separate objects, it only respects layer one. . . even though you can now send objects to zbrush from any lightwave layer.

Good to know jason

thanks
T

lertola2
01-31-2015, 06:04 PM
The new FBX export/import plugin in zbrush 4r7 allows you to transfer multi layer object from Lightwave to zbrush and back. There is a problem with goz in that very large or small objects are not scaled properly in zbrush. So if your objects are much bigger or smaller than 1 meter in size you are better off using FBX to transfer your .lwo file to zbursh. When exporting the FBX file from modeler check the Scale Scene option and set the scale to .01. With this setting the object will be the same size when it returns form zbrush to modeler.

TIMMYLYNN
01-31-2015, 08:07 PM
wow thanks everyone 4 the input on goz. I was wondering if anyone got keyshot 4 z or if lightwave or modo renderer is just as good using goz. I don't nn 2 waste any $$ thanks 4 any advice.

djwaterman
02-01-2015, 12:29 AM
One thing I noticed, and it could be my ignorance, but when I export geometry that has creasing on it, it seems the creasing is not exported. Perhaps I need to substantiate the creasing in some way, I'm basically re-learning ZBrush so I'm sure I'm just missing something. Try exporting that cool looking lamp object over to Lightwave and see if it comes in with all the tight details or less crisp.

tonymax99
02-01-2015, 03:01 AM
The new FBX export/import plugin in zbrush 4r7 allows you to transfer multi layer object from Lightwave to zbrush and back. There is a problem with goz in that very large or small objects are not scaled properly in zbrush. So if your objects are much bigger or smaller than 1 meter in size you are better off using FBX to transfer your .lwo file to zbursh. When exporting the FBX file from modeler check the Scale Scene option and set the scale to .01. With this setting the object will be the same size when it returns form zbrush to modeler.

yeah ive discovered that the GoZ import into zbrush scaling is a bit borked., will try the fbx route

thanks

jasonwestmas
02-02-2015, 02:55 PM
wow thanks everyone 4 the input on goz. I was wondering if anyone got keyshot 4 z or if lightwave or modo renderer is just as good using goz. I don't nn 2 waste any $$ thanks 4 any advice.

The main advantage is simply speed/feedback value using keyshot. It's aimed at people doing a lot of quick conceptual rendering WHILE modeling. You can pose stuff in Zbrush, make vertex colors and send that over for a really nice render without having to retopo, setup complex weight mapping or make UVs. I feel like I'm sketching and painting more using this kind of workflow as I discover what it is that I am designing it's a conceptual modeling/sculpting methodology. Trying to do this kind of thing in any other render package would be much more tedious but not impossible of course.

Speaking of drawing and painting using 3D, I like to take a good lighting condition and free perpspective of my model and draw and paint over that in photoshop. It's sometimes quicker to do that than to try to mess around with polygons. Then when I like how the shapes are working in 2D I'll add the design to my model and see how it can be translated into that more realistic reality. Something like keyshot can give you a reality check on how well the shapes and form will pick up light. It does a better job than zbrush BPR in that regard imo.