PDA

View Full Version : Last week of the RH Sale...

RebelHill
01-26-2015, 10:52 AM
So here we are... going into the last week of the RH new year sale...

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145100-RH-New-Year-Sale-and-New-Bundles

It was supposed to be for the month of January... but since months end falls over this coming weekend, I've decided to let it roll the extra day or so, and I'll be taking the sale down sometime next monday (2nd Feb). Do check it all out if there might be any goodies you may be after.

Cheers all.

jwiede
01-26-2015, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the reminder!

3dWannabe
01-26-2015, 10:19 PM
Please excuse my ignorance.

I've only rigged with 3DS Max 2012's CAT and skinned with BonesPro and applied mocap with MotionBuilder 2012, never in Lightwave.

Got a bit discouraged with AutoDesk, and took a break from 3D apps for a while, hoping the dust would settle a bit.

I've upgraded to LW2015, for which Genoma and RHiggit seem the leading contenders.

I really like using mocap, but would like the ability to customize.

1. Is there a comparison of Genoma and RHiggit as far as rigging, skinning/weighting and animating?

--
The auto-walk cyle of CAT was very appealing, too bad CAT was bought by AD! You could draw a spline and have the character walk along it, and the walk cycle features were very customizable.

2. Any chance of this kind of feature with RHiggit?
--
3. Does RHiggit still provide MotionBuilder compatibility?
--
I'm a bit confused as to the best place to customize the mocap, or to create entirely new animations.

4. As I have MotionBuilder, should I just use it to animate? What would the advantages of using RHiggit in LW have over MotionBuilder?
--
Back when I was looking at skinning/weighting a few years back, this seemed to be problematic in LW. I remember Greenlaw finding that Maya was useful for this.

BonesPro for CAT was really nice for skinning/weighting.

5. What's the best skinning/weighting solution for use with Lightwave?

--
I understand Mixamo has a workflow for quickly rigging/skinning characters.

6. Could this be use to quickly rig & skin a character, which could then be retargeted to an RHRiggit rig (all fully weighted)?

Thanks!

tommyc
01-27-2015, 06:30 AM
I purchased the RHR tuts bad in 2013? Have they been updated since then?

jasonwestmas
01-27-2015, 08:57 AM
"5. What's the best skinning/weighting solution for use with Lightwave?"

IMO the more accurate method is to create your RH-Rig which creates your deform-skeleton and control rig in layout. Then Delete the control rig so you are left with your deform-skeleton only. Export your character with the deform rig as FBX into another package that has good skin weight tools. That way you can key-pose your character with FK (or create some quick and dirty IK) and create your weights accordingly. Export that back into modeler and apply that model with its new weight maps to your rig in layout. Select all your deformer bones/Joints and then Checkmark "use weightmap only" in the bone properties to see exactly what you see in your other weighting package.

I personally don't like making a ton of hold bones (and combine that with a few blocky weight maps) in layout to get perfect deforms but that is possible as well. You might get better animation performance but not really a good idea for game characters.

RebelHill
01-27-2015, 09:41 AM
Questions...

1. Somewhat... Have a look over the guides for setting up genoma, and have a look at setup in RHiggit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXj8NIiVyxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x83r9J0OI4

Also see stuff like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktqVWIA0AMk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlFlbU9I6Fs

and this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TodIEAZPao

What you'll find with genoma is that its far harder to get good deforms out of your characters, RHiggit makes that a lot easier and offers far more options. Also with genoma, you're pretty much restricted to using pre made presets unless you know how to rig yourself, RHiggit allows you to fully design and customise your own rigs, and create varied, expert rigs without having to be an expert rigger in any way. It's far more (what they call) artist friendly to that degree. In terms of animation, RHiggit rigs also offer more streamlined and efficient control setups (which can also be easily customised in a few clicks), and the rigs run (as in playback in viewport) about 60% faster than an equivalent genoma rig. Then ofc, theres all the added tools of the animation toolbox, etc, which "talk" to the rigs, allow you to share poses and motions, etc between characters, and the rest.

2. Maybe... it's on the research list.

3. Not directly or presently. You can "push" them together yourself with very little effort... I do plan at some stage to add a lil tool or 2 to make it a bit more streamlined.

4. Up to you where you feel happier animating. Personally, when it comes to a lot of humanoid animation, I tend to just use motionbuilder a lot of the time, or at least if Im working with mocap.

5. There aren't really many "solutions"... you paint your weights, assign the bones, etc, much like anywhere else. As Jason says, if games engine output is your target, LW can be a real pain as you need very carefully painted weights which you cant do in layout (where the deforms and pose testing happens). If you're animating for render, LW lets you get real good deforms with only a few very simple, rough weightmaps to "section" areas of the mesh.

6. You mean like the mixamo>max/maya thing lightscape posted in the other thread... get the boned, skinned (and ofc weighted) mesh from mixamo to then convert that into a control rig in layout?? Not yet, but that's on the list for future expansion too. Ofc, if you're wanting to upload your characters to mixamo, apply mocap there, and just load them into LW for rendering or whatever... there's no need to do any rigging in LW, you just bring in the skinned, animated mesh... job done. RHiggit/genoma don't make an appearance.

I purchased the RHR tuts bad in 2013? Have they been updated since then?

2013 had the most recent release of them in the later part of the year... was it this set...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?137535-RH-Rigging-Training-for-LW3D
you already got?

If so... nope, nothing new.

Cheers.

tommyc
01-27-2015, 01:30 PM
Thanks RebelHill, I just ordered the RHA tutorials and RHiggit Lite.

Ma3rk
01-27-2015, 03:22 PM
I purchased the RHA series this past weekend I'd like to mention that the transfer rate for downloading was considerably low. I'm guessing that a lot of folk were taking advantage of RH's sale at the same, so be aware. It's over 7 Gb of material!

Also, the files are multipart or segmented zips. My normal unzip tool nor 7-zip would work to extract these. WinRAR works fine but it's only a 40 day free trial.

jasonwestmas
01-27-2015, 04:38 PM
winrar trial really never stops workin for extracting files ime.

hhnguyen
01-27-2015, 07:38 PM
Just bought the Learner's bundle. I have my learner's hat on

Davewriter
01-27-2015, 08:30 PM
In looking things over, I believe I can say that I am the proud owner of each of your fine products.
Which also means - Tag! You're it!
A BIG Thanks Sir! For all you have shared with us and for all yet to come.

Ma3rk
01-28-2015, 12:59 AM
winrar trial really never stops workin for extracting files ime.

Ah. Good to know. I'll leave it installed then.

Vong
01-30-2015, 11:22 AM
I thought I was going to miss out on the sale, then awoke to see I'd been paid!

So I just purchased the Animation Pro Bundle. Looking forward to going through all the training and using RHiggit in some up coming jobs.

Thanks RH!

lightscape
01-30-2015, 05:35 PM
The price of 75, 55, 45 is only up to feb 2?

RebelHill
01-31-2015, 05:36 AM
For the animation training, no... being brand new, the animation training wasn't included in the sale, so price for that won't go up afterwards.

kei_ch
01-31-2015, 07:59 AM
Well, hou about RH Bundles?
Will Animation Pro be up on 2nd Feb?
If so, how much will it cost?

thx :)

RebelHill
01-31-2015, 08:24 AM
Yes, of course... bundles will go up along with their constituent parts. SO animation pro will become 240... RHiggit Pro, 160 + RHR as add-on, 35 + RHA as add-on, 45

battery555
01-31-2015, 09:25 AM
Hi Craig, I just send you an email regarding my RHR upgrade. I paid via Paypal but I have yet to receive a download link from your end. Is there anything that I missed out? Please advise.

battery555
02-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Hi Craig, I just send you an email regarding my RHR upgrade. I paid via Paypal but I have yet to receive a download link from your end. Is there anything that I missed out? Please advise.

Hi Craig,

I got the link for RHR link and completed the download. I have purchased the add on for the RHiggitV2. I have email to admin to request for a download link. I would like to get the downlink as well. Thank you very much.

kei_ch
02-02-2015, 08:34 AM
I am in doubt which to take...Animation Pro or Rhiggit Pro + RHA Tuts.
I just want to make character animation.
So RHR is not the most required stuff right? I believe Rhiggit Pro helps someone who is not familiar with rigging. What you think?
There is no time until sale ends...
I am still confused...

RebelHill
02-02-2015, 09:35 AM
Yep... about 3 or 4 ish hours, give or take...

Ad, nope, the rigging tuts aren't required at all for that. Potentially/arguably all good to know, but certainly not essential. So RHiggit Pro with the Animation tuts as add-on may be your best choice. There's certainly no shortage of stuff in there for you to sink your teeth and your time into, and there's always add-on pricing available for the rigging tuts should you decide that you wanted to add them at a later date.

Cheers.

kei_ch
02-02-2015, 05:29 PM
Thank you :)
I,ve just purchased Rhiggit Pro.
I will buy RHA after I learn Rhiggit and RHA fundamentals ;)