PDA

View Full Version : David Ridlen Picking up the pace with TurbulenceFD and Bullet-Building explosion hit.

prometheus
01-25-2015, 11:28 AM
A turbulenceFD and Bullet engine explosion test from David Ridlen.

Looks pretty good, some minor tweaks and it could be ubersome, and He is just doing his first tests :) and I was just fiddling with ol voxels and explosions some hours ago, I wonder why? I of course knew this is the result to aim for and the tool to use as well..but not having the purse for turbulence now..nor an actuall need for it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4feTdAq8EpQ

Michael

Davewriter
01-25-2015, 08:30 PM
Go Giant Robot, go!

Mr Rid
01-26-2015, 01:52 AM
That robot was the first thing I modeled (beyond simple shapes), back in 1996. I'm getting old. Does anyone else have that problem?

kadri
01-26-2015, 03:03 AM
Looks nice.
When i see that some things i speak about and love are over 30-40 years ago (i am 53 years old) yeah i have the same problem :)

gerry_g
01-26-2015, 04:16 AM
You talking about old age or nostalgia or both, my model library goes back to 2002 and earlier not sure how much earlier but then I'm sixty one didn't start till I was in my forties , nice combo of dynamics and Turbulence FD has Turbulence been fixed yet for 2015.

prometheus
01-26-2015, 10:08 AM
That robot was the first thing I modeled (beyond simple shapes), back in 1996. I'm getting old. Does anyone else have that problem?

Baby..:D we all end up in diapers, if we are lucky.

I am a retrograder with a benjamin button philosophy, no direct positiv effect yet, I am turning 50 in october this year, not sure if I need to start with breast milk diet soon?

That robot, yeah..it looked cool even if it was some of your first stuff.

phillydee
01-26-2015, 12:00 PM
1996! It prompted me a dig through old archives... I started building this scene then, probably finished it in 97. I had a small 3 inch Gundam plastic figurine that this is based off of... but really bad proportions if you're a Gundam otaku (which I am not)...

Lw5.6... with STEAMER... on an old 486 with maybe 32MB of ram. I think. It wasn't my machine, a friend let me learn on his.

bobakabob
01-26-2015, 12:18 PM

Still a very impressive model, Mr Rid, it's minimal but has real presence. Created in Lightwave? You might have triggered a nostalgia thread here for us oldies. First got into LW at 5.6 1997 aged 35. It blew my mind and I picked up work almost immediately as back then you were in demand if you knew Photoshop. How times have changed.

Mr Rid
01-26-2015, 02:52 PM
1996! It prompted me a dig through old archives... I started building this scene then, probably finished it in 97. I had a small 3 inch Gundam plastic figurine that this is based off of... but really bad proportions if you're a Gundam otaku (which I am not)...

Lw5.6... with STEAMER... on an old 486 with maybe 32MB of ram. I think. It wasn't my machine, a friend let me learn on his.

Steamer! I first learned LW 3 on a roommate's Amiga 2000.

The robot was from some anime, Gundam, or something, I dont remember, a 'glue-together' model I still have. It had shoulder fins, fat feet, and goofy TV-antennae on the head. I never liked all those impractical, sticky-outty things on Japanease robots.

I used it for stop-motion animation in 1993 (thats me with the long hair), and using ImageFX to paint over frames, and to comp pyro FX I shot with a video camera. Some of the lasers are actually red yarn stretched on black thread, illuminated with a flashlight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb4wRdhxxUU

A few years ago, I dug up the old CG model to drop into previz for a Disney pilot and everyone wound up preferring it to the actual design for the show, that never aired. The 'building punch' keyframes are leftover from a shot from that where I had used HardFX and HVs. I dropped the robot animation into this Bullet sim to see what would happen.

phillydee
01-26-2015, 03:01 PM
Steamer! I first learned LW 3 on a roommate's Amiga.

The robot was from some anime, Gundam, or something, I dont remember, a 'glue-together' model I still have. It had big fins on the shoulders, and goofy TV-antennae on the head. I never liked all those impractical, sticky-outty things on Japanease robots.

I used it for stop-motion animation in 1993 (thats me with long hair) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb4wRdhxxUU

A few years ago, I dug up the old CG model to drop into previz for a Disney pilot and everyone preferred it to the actual design for the show, that never aired.

Steamer! It was so amazing but so slow on that 486...

Yeah the first time I ever tried LW was on my friend's Amiga 2000 with the Toaster card! However I never really 'dug in deep' with LW until the PC version.

That model's so awesome! All the video's missing now is some rad sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnDutViIj-8#t=131

stiff paper
01-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Well, if we've got permission to be all nostalgic... these three, collectively, were the very first things I did in LightWave, in 1997 (I think):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h-Qrt9y_dU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTNsRJQk3ZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be5_g9S0vMc

I bought a "used" copy of LW4 from somebody, but it sat around for so long that 5.0 came out before I'd even touched it, and I upgraded. The above cutscenes were done in 5.0, in 12 weeks, with me learning LW as I went along.

Oh, and that problem? Yeah, I have that one, too. There's a lot of it going around. Still, getting older beats the alternative.

bobakabob
01-26-2015, 04:08 PM
Impressive compositions, models, and explosions there Cardboard. Also great nurnies. V good for LW 5.

jwiede
01-26-2015, 08:30 PM
Well, if we've got permission to be all nostalgic... these three, collectively, were the very first things I did in LightWave, in 1997 (I think):

I bought a "used" copy of LW4 from somebody, but it sat around for so long that 5.0 came out before I'd even touched it, and I upgraded. The above cutscenes were done in 5.0, in 12 weeks, with me learning LW as I went along.

Did you create all the models used yourself, or if not, which were provided by Lucasarts? How heavy was that SSD mesh?

All in all, pretty darned nice for LW5-era! Was HDInstance available yet? What pkg were you coming from previously?

Sorry about all the questions, but I always find it interesting to hear about how old "A-title" cutscenes etc. were put together back then.

Mr Rid
01-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Well, if we've got permission to be all nostalgic... these three, collectively, were the very first things I did in LightWave, in 1997 (I think):...

Good stuff! Artbeats Strikes Back.

CaptainMarlowe
01-26-2015, 11:35 PM

Oh, and that problem? Yeah, I have that one, too. There's a lot of it going around. Still, getting older beats the alternative.

wow ! Very cool work !!

LW_Will
01-27-2015, 12:45 AM

No problem with growing old. Happens to me every day.

OlaHaldor
01-27-2015, 03:23 AM
Woaah! Awesome destruction and explosion. You should make a short video to show off how/what. Or share the scene.

How long did the dynamics take to solve? And the TFD sim?

Mr Rid
01-27-2015, 04:38 AM
Woaah! Awesome destruction and explosion. You should make a short video to show off how/what. Or share the scene.

I don't know exactly. I always left the computer, or let it go overnight, and came back later when it was done. I tinkered with it off and on, over 3 months, and let sims/renders go in the background while I was working on other things.

The original discussion is here, btw- http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145359-Building-Demolition-Test-Bullet-amp-TurbulenceFD

stiff paper
01-27-2015, 05:27 AM
Artbeats Strikes Back.
Hah! Now there's an experienced eye. There really weren't (m)any alternatives at the time. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) I had to argue and beg to get the company to buy that explosions CD because a) the kind-of lead artist said it was totally impossible to map explosions onto flat polys in a 3D scene and have it look good, and b) the company had not long since paid half a million Dollars for a half dozen turquoise SGIs with software so, yeah, money.

Did you create all the models used yourself, or if not, which were provided by Lucasarts? How heavy was that SSD mesh?
LucasArts sent over an X-Wing model, but if I remember rightly (it was a while ago, and all done at a frantic, semi desperate pace, so I might be woolly on some things) I had to mostly rebuild it. To the best of my memory I built almost everything else. Nothing was just "high res". The SSD in the distance was as low as I could get it and closer in things were dressed just for each shot. If we're close then it's usually just a little patch of a larger object we're seeing. The SSD is just a lot of simple boxes with textures. I tried to hide how undercooked all the models were with composition, lighting and a dynamic camera.

To get accurate reference I phoned the ILM model shop and they said "Oh, just drive over and look through the photo library!" So I took several trips down there and got copies of their reference photos for all the ships (and no, Totally Games kept the photos, not me.) Shortly afterwards we were all Banned From The Ranch (because of some artists at LucasArts dicking around and breaking a couple of models in the model archive. Nothing to do with us! No fair!) It didn't matter anyway, I just phoned ILM and said "Hey, apparently I'm banned..." and they said "Oh ignore that, that's just those idiots at LucasArts. Come on over, get what you need." Which was nice.

One model that I definitely know is mine is the TIE Advanced. I (re)designed it for the in-game model and then made a fancier version for the cutscenes because I didn't know there had already been a version in the previous game and I was told to "Make it look however you like!" by the boss. The original artist was offended (and I can see why) but recently I went off looking, just out of curiosity, and my TIE-A design, or something like it, seems to have become the official version (although it was renamed TIE Avenger at some point). I iz fa-moose.

Was HDInstance available yet? What pkg were you coming from previously
No instancing, no. That's why there are only three ships on screen most of the time! I'd used 3DS v3 (the original DOS 3DStudio) for about 12 months, but as a character animator at Neversoft, on Skeleton Warriors. Before that I was a pixel art character animator.

...interesting to hear about how old "A-title" cutscenes etc. were put together back then.
Well, at Neversoft on Skeleton Warriors there was a single guy in his own room who did 95% of the cutscenes because when he was hired he was the only one who'd ever used 3DS before. The rest of us were hand-drawn art guys. While we spent six months working up to proper competence and doing the in-game graphics he did cutscenes. And then at the very end, three days before delivery, he said he wasn't going to finish the cutscenes in time and I had to make the end of game cutscene on a Sat/Sun to deliver on Monday. (It was terrible. Of course. Two days, and I was already fried.)

For the cutscenes I linked to above, that was just me with my own personal copy of LightWave. Four other artists were doing one cutscene each on their half million Dollars' worth of SGIs. I was only supposed to do a single cutscene (The TIEs attacking the space station, and you can tell because it's the best of the three) but I ended up doing all three in the original amount of time.

So "A-title" cutscenes back then were complete and utter panicked, frantic chaos. As far as I could tell. Great fun though.

prometheus
01-27-2015, 11:40 AM
Hah! Now there's an experienced eye. There really weren't (m)any alternatives at the time. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) I had to argue and beg to get the company to buy that explosions CD because a) the kind-of lead artist said it was totally impossible to map explosions onto flat polys in a 3D scene and have it look good, and b) the company had not long since paid half a million Dollars for a half dozen turquoise SGIs with software so, yeah, money..

I am not that experienced..but I could spot that artbeat explosion too:D

That stuff works in space, but for a shot like Mr Rid did, it wouldnīt work..so fluids, yes.

you are mapping it on to polys I reckon? you havenīt tried with particles and sprite clip maps?

stiff paper
01-27-2015, 02:36 PM
...you are mapping it on to polys I reckon? you havenīt tried with particles and sprite clip maps?
I don't think I've ever had to do an explosion since then!

Cageman
01-27-2015, 02:49 PM

This got me curios... what is the alternative?

EDIT: Cool work you did! :)

prometheus
01-27-2015, 03:43 PM
I don't think I've ever had to do an explosion since then!

working with real clips on polyīs..or mixing in compositing, sure...but I ment if you tried mapping the artbeat explosions to sprite clips? not hypervoxels by themself.

I might have interpreted your respons in the wrong way?..maybe you ment you just havenīt had the time and occasion for it, rather that you were trying to say..it works so well with that method, so no need to try something else?

stiff paper
01-27-2015, 04:26 PM
This got me curios... what is the alternative?
Why, not getting any older, of course. (The only known way of doing that being... a dead end.)

...I might have interpreted your respons in the wrong way?
I did the cutscenes way back in 1997, and since then nobody has ever asked me to do any work that had explosions in it, that's all.

Also, and I know from experience that this is going to seem strange to people, but I've never been particularly obsessed with 3D or VFX, I learned 3D just as part of my job at the time, and so I've never done much experimenting on my own time. I've always just worked out how to do something when I've needed to do it.

If anybody needed me to do explosions these days I'd buy TFD. We've kind of reached the end of being able to cheat things like explosions now (well, unless it's not meant to be photorealistic).

prometheus
01-27-2015, 04:59 PM
Why, not getting any older, of course. (The only known way of doing that being... a dead end.)

I did the cutscenes way back in 1997, and since then nobody has ever asked me to do any work that had explosions in it, that's all.

Also, and I know from experience that this is going to seem strange to people, but I've never been particularly obsessed with 3D or VFX, I learned 3D just as part of my job at the time, and so I've never done much experimenting on my own time. I've always just worked out how to do something when I've needed to do it.

If anybody needed me to do explosions these days I'd buy TFD. We've kind of reached the end of being able to cheat things like explosions now (well, unless it's not meant to be photorealistic).

:D well..I am a little obsessed with VFX, but never got in to it really, nor asked to do explosions, then I havenīt made such connections either, whatever I do.itīs just for hobby and fun.

kopperdrake
01-28-2015, 04:02 AM
I like it :D

Again - for the sake of nostalgia - here are a couple of images from way back:

2CV - pre sub-D modelling era, so all with spline curves and patching. Probably about '96 at a guess.

Chairs - pre-radiosity, Gaffer used for the metallic paints, can't remember the date but sometime between '96 and '98 at a guess. Again, no sub-patch modelling.

Mr Rid
01-29-2015, 03:01 PM

I found a note I'd written that one TFD sim took 4 hours. 141gb of cache. A 577x434x263 container, 66 million voxels, 6.7gb ram.

octopus2000
01-31-2015, 08:35 AM
newtek needs to get something like this inside lightwave.

Mr Rid
01-31-2015, 09:20 PM
No problem with growing old. Happens to me every day.

I find everything diminishing, getting more difficult, and knowing that it will only continue to get worse until you inevitably lose.

Happy New Year!

prometheus
02-01-2015, 06:39 AM
I find everything diminishing, getting more difficult, and knowing that it will only continue to get worse until you inevitably lose.

Happy New Year!

Thatīs the theory of everything:D
I Got to go and see that movie when I get a chance.

Donīt let that stop you, just go on and on til the fuel is out...eventually it will though, but you got to burn as bright you can..while you can I guess, and be thankful for every day you get.

Mr Rid
02-06-2015, 11:05 PM
...thankful for every day you get.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxNQj62IMAAO2Ht.jpg

vonpietro
02-06-2015, 11:52 PM
Dito