PDA

View Full Version : lightwave render pause button - simple feature request.

vonpietro
01-22-2015, 02:16 PM
hi,
I was thinking the other day, why isn't there an pause button on the render panel?

It's easy enough to code, and it's super useful.

got a long render, or a sequence, and your machine is maxed out and you want to do something else real quick that's proc intensive, instead of aborting, just hit pause. Do your business and then when your done - un-pause.

I realize you can set affinity in the task manager, but having a pause button would be more convenient.
I did see a plug in that sets the priority, but i'm not sure if it pauses lw or not. It seems to be really handy, but i'm not so sure in real world use.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/renderoptimizer

Has anyone else wanted a pause button on the renderer?

Marander
01-22-2015, 06:24 PM
Completely agree, I had the same thought.

For example in VMware Workstation you can pause a VM with one click (without suspending), just right click & pause and all resources are freed instantly. That could actually be a solution, run your render within VMware... LW works perfectly fine like that (except limited graphics power due to limited 3d acceleration ). You can easily allocate 32GB RAM and 8 cores for a virtual machine.

Edit: of course the memory can not just go down while pausing but CPU is immediately fully available. At anytime you can suspend the VM (save the current state to disk) and your host has the memory free as well. I have used LW within VM without problems, for example here: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144382-LW-on-Win10 but also for complete renders.

Sensei
01-23-2015, 06:38 PM
I wrote RenderOptimizer because couldn't work on 2nd application during LW rendering.

vonpietro
01-24-2015, 12:26 PM
ITS pretty cool, does it really pause lw when you set it to the lowest priority?

by the way, thanks for writing it!!!!

Sensei
01-24-2015, 12:42 PM
No it does not pause.
But allows comfortable work in 2nd applications.

jeric_synergy
01-24-2015, 01:08 PM
An excellent feature request.

FWIW, if it needs more selling, AE has a render pause button.