PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft announces Windows Holographic (Augmented Reality Headset)

robertoortiz
01-22-2015, 10:26 AM
Quote:
"Microsoft has just revealed its next great innovation: Windows Holographic. It's an augmented reality experience that employs a headset, much like all the VR goggles that are currently rising in popularity, but Microsoft's solution adds holograms to the world around you. The HoloLens headset is described as "the most advanced holographic computer the world has ever seen." It's a self-contained computer, including a CPU, a GPU, and a dedicated holographic processor. The dark visor up front contains a see-through display, there's spatial sound so you can "hear" holograms behind you, and HoloLens also integrates a set of motion and environmental sensors."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/21/7867593/microsoft-announces-windows-holographic

magiclight
01-23-2015, 01:36 AM
"Great innovation" is a little overkill I think, they make it sound like the best thing that ever happend, but it's just a pair of VR glasses, showing camera view with some overlays and detecting hand positions with camera, cool ? yes, but "great innovation", don't think so, and I think this has been done before also, just don't remember where I see that.

It's not even "holographic" if you want to be very picky:
"the branch of optics that deals with the use of coherent light from a laser in order to make a hologram that can then be used to create a three-dimensional image"

But ok, I will not be that picky today ;o)

vncnt
01-23-2015, 04:32 AM
I think this product combines the most useful features, that were already exploited in Google glass, Skype, Oculus Rift and Kinect, into a brand new product line that will be very usefull in specific situations.

A clever step, and a logical step.

Not the technical issues behind it is the big innovation (Iīm sure many problems have been solved) but itīs the combination of features that offer the user a universal device (like many smart phones do), the support by a platform that is widely available, and I really hope that current software can support it (Unity3D, etc).

More target platforms for 3D content means more business for us modellers/animators/developers, etc.
In the past, 3D became interesting for passive and interactive platforms, lately for print too, and now all these developments for platforms that try to bridge between real and virtual worlds.

Of course itīs not the type of projected interactive holograms that we see in fantasy movies but it is a next step.
Good to see that one of the market leaders is taking that step.
As soon as any company is ready to sell products that are actually able to project holograms in 3D space in front of your eyes, there is a good change that this platform will support it.

Very interesting to see how this will be integrated with this operating system.
Weīve seen attempts to integrate 3D (depth) into the OS but that did not seem to be the killer app that users were waiting for.

With Microsoft HoloLens itīs obvious that you are being observed by someone plus maybe the rest of the world.
This bigger device might be the right answer for the privacy issues that Google glass has.

lightscape
01-23-2015, 04:49 AM
Old concept, new hyped ad.
Kinect was announced dead on dec 31(so people will not notice) along with any app using it, cough cough, nevron. Sneaky MS as always.

Dan Ritchie
01-23-2015, 01:10 PM
Virtual monitors. That's bound to have some use.

jeric_synergy
01-23-2015, 01:16 PM
Wait, Kinect support is history???

+++++++
"Great innovation"= PR blather fer sure, but low level, OS level, support would be nice for such a facility.

I'd like to work there just to keep them from screwing it up too badly. :devil: How would that sound on my application?

jwiede
01-23-2015, 08:19 PM

No. The v1-based "Kinect for Windows" package is no longer being sold, but that was inevitable once the v2-based version released, just as the separate v2 unit and adapter pkgs will likely eliminate the need for distinct "Kinect for Windows" packages altogether (interested devs/users can just buy a v2 unit and adapter, now that separate v2 Kinect units are widely available).

Dev interest in the Kinect for Windows SDK / APIs is growing quite nicely, as are the number of released products/installations utilizing v2 Kinect setups.

lightscape
01-24-2015, 04:16 AM

+++++++
"Great innovation"= PR blather fer sure, but low level, OS level, support would be nice for such a facility.

I'd like to work there just to keep them from screwing it up too badly. :devil: How would that sound on my application?

its history. And with that Nevron or any app using kinect 1, which includes people with windows 7, are also not going to be able to use kinect technology anymore since kinect 2 is only supported from windows 8.
So why continue to develop Nevron or any similar app that will eliminate a lot of windows 7 users? Its not worth doing.

jeric_synergy
01-24-2015, 01:06 PM
I was too ambiguous there: I mean the 'holographic' facility being developed by M$.

BTW: holography extends beyond lasers, it seems to be a generic term for a particular interference phenomena.

Areyos Alektor
01-25-2015, 04:49 PM
its history. And with that Nevron or any app using kinect 1, which includes people with windows 7, are also not going to be able to use kinect technology anymore since kinect 2 is only supported from windows 8.
So why continue to develop Nevron or any similar app that will eliminate a lot of windows 7 users? Its not worth doing.

Because "Windows 10" will be free ?