PDA

View Full Version : 8gb ram or 16g ram which is the mininum should have for real world work?

yoshiii
01-21-2015, 11:00 AM
Hello

How much minimal ram is actually needed for real world work in LW? 8gb or 16gb?

Nicolas Jordan
01-21-2015, 11:11 AM
It really depends on what kind of work your doing. I do a variety of architectural work and I find a need at least 16 GB and now have 32 GB on my machine for future needs on large projects. It's probably a good idea to have 12 - 16 GB if you plan on working with very large scenes full of complex objects.

Marander
01-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Hello

How much minimal ram is actually needed for real world work in LW? 8gb or 16gb?

You can do a lot of things with 8 GB for full hd images / movies. For large scenes, big subd objects, large landscapes, using many large texture maps you might need 16 GB or more.

It depends also what other things run in the background / what services and processes are active etc. For a Core i5/i7 system I would recommend to buy memory with at least 2x8 GB RAM so you still have two free slots for future upgrades. Older Core2Quad systems can normally not be equipped with more then 8 GB.

jasonwestmas
01-21-2015, 11:20 AM
I would future proof yourself and get 16-32GB. I really don't like only having 8GB.

motivalex
01-21-2015, 11:43 AM
You can get by with 8Gb but to cover most scenarios 16gb is recommended and 32gb ideal. If working professionally then 16gb is minimum.

Dan Ritchie
01-21-2015, 12:56 PM
I've never had more than 6 gig, and yes, I hit some limits with instancing.

m.d.
01-21-2015, 01:07 PM
lightwave could probably be OK with 8....I however would never go below 16 if possible...the OS probably uses 1.5, if you want a browser open, listen to music ect ect...it will all eat ram

i've filled 24gb in fusion with previews all the time....

jasonwestmas
01-21-2015, 01:12 PM
yeah anything related to high resolution bitmaps (Pixel Images) textures or compositeing it's really easy to break 8GB of Ram.

speismonqui
01-21-2015, 03:43 PM
like @Marander said, it also depends on your system as you don't want bottlenecks in your computer, what CPU do you have? GPU? PSU?

I can't find the website I was looking for but this is a more/less rough guide for a balanced PC:

4 core: 8-16GB
6 core: 16-32GB
8 core: 32-64GB

Please don't take this as a definite rule, it's just a guide I saw on the internet.

Also, about GPU's this is interesting as well:

SD: 1 GB VRAM
HD: 1-2 GB VRAM
2k-4k: 2-4 GB VRAM
5k and above: 6 GB VRAM

Sekhar
01-21-2015, 04:38 PM
I would open the task manager when you're running at heaviest loads to see how much memory is being used, it really depends on what you're doing. If you're talking about future-proofing, I'd go with 32GB. Memory is pretty cheap these days, so not much downside: I got 32GB last month for $300 from B&H (for Windows, Mac prices might be higher).

spherical
01-21-2015, 08:56 PM
32GB, minimum. The OS takes a good chunk of it, right outta the gate. Don't think that you can get 8GB now and add 8GB later and add 16GB after that. Current memory technology, having tight timing constraints, really requires that all of the sticks that are to be used in one machine be tested to actually work together, prior to leaving the factory. These are called "Kits". You get them all at once and they are certified to work. The old way of adding piecemeal is a potentially expensive gamble, both in $$$ and in lost work.

m.d.
01-21-2015, 11:51 PM
Also, about GPU's this is interesting as well:

SD: 1 GB VRAM
HD: 1-2 GB VRAM
2k-4k: 2-4 GB VRAM
5k and above: 6 GB VRAM

A full frame Dragon 6k frame is about 1.94 Gb on the video card...I've been editing 5k on less then 2gb for years.

fazi69
01-22-2015, 09:28 AM
Few weeks back I had to convert big object exported from CAD ( BIG ! Whole, production ready, car model without engine ). It was nightmare on 8GB of ram. I waited hour to open it in modeler and 5 minutes to every refresh. Task manager in windows showed that i still had 1-2 gb of free ram so I concluded that nothing here can be done to speed it up. Then, by coincidence I expanded RAM to 16gb and day later loaded model to continue work ..... 10 times faster ! More ! Object loaded in 3 minutes.
I think that today when simple game console have 8gb of ram and when few simple web pages opened in browser can take 2 GB we will NOT be happy with 8gb of RAM.
16GB is a MUST in my opinion.

jasonwestmas
01-22-2015, 09:49 AM
32GB, minimum. The OS takes a good chunk of it, right outta the gate. Don't think that you can get 8GB now and add 8GB later and add 16GB after that. Current memory technology, having tight timing constraints, really requires that all of the sticks that are to be used in one machine be tested to actually work together, prior to leaving the factory. These are called "Kits". You get them all at once and they are certified to work. The old way of adding piecemeal is a potentially expensive gamble, both in $$$ and in lost work.

yeah I learned about that the hard way, next computer will definitely be 32GB or more.

vonpietro
01-22-2015, 02:08 PM
32 gigs will unlock some of that repressed creativity.

spend the money, get the ram. Don't wait. Just do it. like now. =)

.. the future is 128 gigs - that's a lot of instancing power

speismonqui
01-22-2015, 04:05 PM
A full frame Dragon 6k frame is about 1.94 Gb on the video card...I've been editing 5k on less then 2gb for years.

that's good to know. It means you CAN edit 5K with 2GB, maybe 6GB will be better and more smooth but that doesn't mean you NEEEED a monster 6GB card in order to get the job done. I guess it's the same with RAM and CPU then.

VirtualFM
01-22-2015, 05:34 PM
In my case I just built a new machine and I wanted 32GB. But a series of events forced me to get only 16GB instead. And the events were: wanted an i7-5820k, those require the new X99 chipset, which demands some really expensive motherboard with that X99 chipset (the lowest one is almost as pricey as a top-noch mobo). All was fine until I was told that the memory I had chosen would not be compatible with the motherboard. Why? Because those motherboards only accept the new DDR4 standard. Well, I wasn't aware of that. I never heard of such no-backward-compatible restrictions before. I read about DDR4, didn't think such big deal of it and saw it was really expensive and not worth it. But I had to settle with it and get 16GB instead, as they cost as much as 32GB of perfectly fine DDR3.

Fist real project with the machine and I'm averaging a daily usage of 13-15 GB... I could use more for sure! Just waiting for the prices to go down a little bit so I can get another 16GB kit.

spherical
01-22-2015, 06:28 PM
A second kit still may not be compatible. Kits are within themselves. IOW, two 16GB kits may not play well together, where a 32GB kit is certified to work. Might luck out but chancy; especially with the higher frequency memory.

Sekhar
01-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Before you dismiss memory as being incompatible, see if you can do some research. E.g., I have a Dell XPS 8300 desktop, and all the Dell docs for it clearly said the maximum memory is 16GB, but I was able to successfully install 32GB anyway (thanks to a user test on Google)! Who would've thunk?

magiclight
01-23-2015, 01:26 AM
DDR3 in pairs are usually no problem, if they are not "compatible" (different CAS or something) it will usually work fine anyway just following the slower one as long as the memory is fast enough for the motherboard, but yes, it's always best to get all memory at the same time.

VirtualFM
01-23-2015, 02:49 AM
A second kit still may not be compatible. Kits are within themselves. IOW, two 16GB kits may not play well together, where a 32GB kit is certified to work. Might luck out but chancy; especially with the higher frequency memory.

I don't expect to have problems with it and I'm not worried. The motherboard has 8 mem slots. The memory brand has a good reputation (G-Skill Ripjaws) so if I get a duplicate kit it should work. Actually the options I am contemplating are:
- buy another kit right now in order to get the 32GB
- be optimistic and think that I actually don't need this much memory (I know I will always use whatever RAM I have available, I have 5 Layouts open right now, 2 of them rendering stuff) , which is a luxury at these prices (a good 32GB DDR4 kit costs around 880€ around here, that's about $985 at current rates (Euro is going down like a rock)) survive a couple years and then upgrade it all to 64GB later

Danner
01-23-2015, 06:16 AM
Most of the machines here have 16gb, one has 32gb and one has 8gb.
The 8gb machine will fail to load some complexe scenes and on other semi-complex scenes it goes into disc-trashing virtual memory hell.
The 16gb machines have worked for all except one extremely large scene.
The 32gb machine has ran out of memory a couple times but only when encountering a leak (making an ID pass using pixel filter).

spherical
01-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Before you dismiss memory as being incompatible, see if you can do some research.

Like I said, sometimes you get lucky. "Research" has nothing to do with it if the sticks in question are not tested with each other. It's a gamble; luck of the draw. Previous memory technology was far more forgiving. The manufacturers developed tested kits because there were issues in the field. I'm not pulling this out of my hat. As far as being able to stuff twice the amount of RAM into a box, current BIOSes on some motherboards now support Intelligent Memory modules. ASUS went from 8*8GB to 8*16GB on my P9X79 that now allows me to put 128GB in a previously maximum 64GB board.

Sekhar
01-23-2015, 04:52 PM
Like I said, sometimes you get lucky. "Research" has nothing to do with it if the sticks in question are not tested with each other. It's a gamble; luck of the draw.

Yes, and research helps you find someone who may have already tried so you don't need to gamble (as it did for me).

OnlineRender
01-24-2015, 05:12 AM
I struggle with 16gb these days

egearbox
01-24-2015, 01:34 PM
Just to throw my $0.02 in, I rarely do anything very complicated and I still bump up against the limits with 8GB. I would say at least 16GB.

spherical
01-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Yes, and research helps you find someone who may have already tried so you don't need to gamble (as it did for me).

You're not reading what I write or, if you are, you're not getting it. Or we're talking about two different things. Moot, at this point.

Sekhar
01-24-2015, 04:45 PM
You're not reading what I write or, if you are, you're not getting it. Or we're talking about two different things. Moot, at this point.

No worries. I was actually addressing the OP (the "you" in my "Before you dismiss..." comment). Looks like my post was right after yours, so I guess it reads like a rebuff to what you said, but it had nothing do with it! Anyway, it's pretty amazing how much stuff there's on the Internet on user experiences, especially on the hardware forums and sites...a Google search is always worth it IMO before buying stuff, we can find gems (like so many here on the NT forums).