PDA

View Full Version : Animation FPS ?

magiclight
01-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Hi!
I can change the timeline to show time in seconds but it look like I need to know the framerate before I make an animation, if I change the framerate after adding lots of keyframes it will mess up the timing ?
is there any way to work in time instead of FPS so that the framerate can be changed later without messing up timing or did I get something wrong ?

ernpchan
01-21-2015, 07:04 AM
Why are you working without knowing what your destination FPS is going to be?

You can change FPS, LightWave will stretch your keyframes accordingly. You'll just end up with keyframes that aren't on integer frames. You can fix that by quantizing them in the Graph Editor.

Ryan Roye
01-21-2015, 07:19 AM
duplicate post

Ryan Roye
01-21-2015, 07:21 AM
A large majority of Lightwave's functions will re-adjust to match your FPS. There are a few exceptions to this:

- Cycler/Cyclist can fail to change with the FPS

- With the exception of Bullet (which uses its own time detail setting), FPS can affect the outcome of dynamics; it's best to complete your animation before applying any dynamics elements to it whenever possible.

- Any expressions or functions that use FRAMES as their variable will not operate/display properly if the FPS is adjusted. Expressions that use time, on the other hand, are not affected by this.

My rule of thumb is that for hand-keying animation, work at the lowest reasonable FPS that's cleanly divisible by your final intended FPS. If you are going to render at 30 fps, animate at 15, if 24, animate at 12. You can save yourself many hours of wasted time by doing this (less keystrokes, easier to see the animation as a whole faster, lower preview time, more efficient use of computer resources, fewer keyframes to deal with, etc). This is helpful across the board for animation software and applies just as well to flash, anime studio, etc.

In a way, frames ARE time... so all you have to worry about is how much "motion detail" do you need while working with Lightwave?

Why are you working without knowing what your destination FPS is going to be?

Knowing the final FPS is vital, you need to know this otherwise you'll be dealing with fractional keyframes or poses/positions that don't really line up with where the playhead is positioned. This is also a reason why your working FPS should always be cleanly divisible so you never get fractional frames in the mix. I should also add that fractional frames mainly become an issue when speeding up animation... it's less of a problem when slowing it down.

djwaterman
01-21-2015, 08:09 AM
In EU and Asia you'll probably be working at 25 FPS.

RebelHill
01-21-2015, 08:40 AM
Animation is always recorded in terms of time, not frames... so you can change framerate as you like and the timings will remain the same.

Some lil things about ti worth keeping your eye open for though... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TodIEAZPao&t=14m03s