PDA

View Full Version : Applying a whole set of surfaces, (Daz import)

starbase1
01-19-2015, 03:04 PM
I like to import Daz objects, and I generally do this via OBJ, and cleaning up surfaces by hand. Of course, there can be a lot of them, so I figure if I clean up one set for a figure, I can take in another pose and just keep the ones I did already. Or can I?

See the attached picture.

Part 1, I import a robot, and set the textures I want, as LWO.

Part 2, same figure, new pose, raw surfaces, saved as LWO.

So I figure I can simply copy object 2 into a new layer on object 1, and it will pick up the same surfaces, right? Wrong, complete mess. See 3rd figure.

Does anyone know why not? And a way of efficiently applying a whole set of textures with matching names across models? It should not be this difficult!!!

Nick

Sensei
01-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Attach f.e. leg to play with..

Is it using Vertex Normal Map in Surface Editor?

ernpchan
01-19-2015, 03:35 PM
Are the surface names between the two objects the same? It'll only work if they are.

If point order a different count is the same you could morph 1 to 2 and then apply the morph to make your second robot.

tonyrizo2003
01-19-2015, 10:32 PM
you might look into this plugin to help
http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/GlobalMaterials

Lewis
01-20-2015, 02:17 AM
You can do it in surface editor with Save/Load library. BUT only if the material/surface names are same.

daforum
01-20-2015, 03:28 AM
Try this: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/surface-rename-editor/

Rename all other surfaces to match the original model, then as Lewis says save a Library of the original surfaces and apply to the model(s)

prometheus
01-20-2015, 05:25 AM
What is wrong with exporting it as fbx?

nevermind..I think I misunderstood the workflwo you are applying.

starbase1
01-20-2015, 03:54 PM
UV Maps made me think....

I found the answer. When Daz Studio exports to OBJ, it uses the filename as the name for the UV map too! So saving as a new filename broke the surface.

So the answer is to repeatedly save to the same OBJ file, load it and save it as a DIFFERENT lightwave object file.
If you then load the lot into layers one at a time, they pick up the same surfaces, and you only need to tune them up once.

Like this:

- - - Updated - - -

Try this: https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/surface-rename-editor/

Rename all other surfaces to match the original model, then as Lewis says save a Library of the original surfaces and apply to the model(s)

I always seem to get a mess with FBX, I'm happier with OBJ, which I find predictable (normally!)

Ma3rk
01-20-2015, 08:01 PM
Looks like you somewhat resolved your immediate issue. I have managed to get DAZ scenes into Lightwave but it was really a chore to find the right process and export settings.

Since PoserPro 2012, the DSON plugin between DAZ and Poser and the PoserFusion plug-in for Poser to Lightwave have worked quite well and very easy. Even characters & scenes originating in DAZ. No problems with textures, transparency, smoothing, etc. I generally take that one extra step by Packaging the scene from Layout, then moving that over to my Lightwave Content structure so that geometry & textures are then fully Lightwave. And although the geometry often has higher mesh density than a native LW object, I've had good success rigging them with the new RHiggit2 tools.

daforum
01-22-2015, 10:39 AM
Cool! Good to hear you found a working method starbase1 :)