PDA

View Full Version : Houdini indie question?

cove
01-18-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi.
Im seriuosly thinking about buying the Houdini indie version at $199.
But what im not clear about is wether the price you pay is for a 12 months renewable licence.
Or are you paying for the software and its yours to use for as long as you want.
Thanks for any info in reply.

ernpchan
01-18-2015, 01:36 PM
Found this.
http://cgpress.org/archives/cgarticles/3d-software-and-future-licensing-policies

There are currently no plans to stop selling permanent licenses to our customers. Houdini and Houdini FX are our commercial versions and we offer a choice between permanent and rental (subscription) licensing. Our products under $1000 such as Houdini Indie and Houdini Engine are subscription only.

erikals
01-18-2015, 07:17 PM
rental only, but a steal, bit more info here on Houdini fluids to LightWave, needs more testing, but haven't had the time unfortunately...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143243-The-amazing-Houdini-reel-of-Spencer-Lueders-%28-fluids-fire-and-smoke%29

prometheus
01-18-2015, 07:19 PM
So I think it means.. houdini indi will be more and more expensive by ackumulated time ..each year, four or 5 years and that starts to the be the edge where I would want to stop...I think, but then again..I am no jumping on to any ship what so ever the following months.

And to be fair as erik mentioned..it still might be a steal, considering we all mostly have to upgrade our software anyway..some years..... mostly:)

prometheus
01-18-2015, 08:09 PM
hereīs also the compare chart of features between All 5 houdini versions...when I think about it, the houdini version I would never go for without those fx tools that houdini do so good stuff with.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=219&Itemid=382

cove
01-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Hi. all.
Thanks for answering my question.
Have to decide now if its worth buying for 12 months.
By the tme the 12 months is up hopefully Lightwave will have released an update
that includes a set of special effects features that brings it up to date wiith everyone else.

prometheus
01-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Hi. all.
Thanks for answering my question.
Have to decide now if its worth buying for 12 months.
By the tme the 12 months is up hopefully Lightwave will have released an update
that includes a set of special effects features that brings it up to date wiith everyone else.

12 months will not be enough time to bring lightwave special effects features up to date with everyone else, and particulary not with Houdini..i think that will take a couple of years, maybe 3-5 years based on where it is now in terms of particle effects,fluids etc flocking agents etc...that is what I believe anyway.
It would also mean that they in such case need to have something planned alread, or at least has started to work on it behind the scenes if they ever should be able to pull it of within that time frame I think.

Depends on how the lw team choose to see it, and how much focus and resources they eventually can muster, finding people,finding people with that extreme skillset..and if they can afford it, then thereīs a question if they finally
work it out, should they deliver a lightwave package like sidefx has houdini without the fx tools, and then complement with lightwaveFX just as sidefx has houdiniFX?
Different pricing and different Feature toolset.
I hope they at last start with fixing better volumetrics openvdb and enhance hypervoxels to match modo voxels and houdini cloudfx.

if they pull of liquids like flip fluids (that would take years I suspect) and get some pyro tool natively (but there is turbulenceFd) then it would justify a higher FX price.
The volumetrics and enhancements of the native particles though..I think they should start with that..and have it in the Base package pricing level.

Michael

erikals
01-19-2015, 08:00 PM
i think that will take a couple of years, maybe 3-5 years based on where it is now in terms of particle effects,fluids etc flocking agents etc...that is what I believe anyway.
i'd say 5 years plus...

nothing wrong with that though, Houdini is in a league of it's own... :° :]

prometheus
01-20-2015, 04:43 AM
i'd say 5 years plus...

nothing wrong with that though, Houdini is in a league of it's own... :° :]

Absolutly correct, feels like they have had quite advanced particle and dynamic stuff etc for many years, and have continued the tradition of developing it to the most advanced fx toolset there is out there I think, so
expecting Lightwave catching up within a cycle from 2015 till 2016, donīt think that is realistic.

Sometimes I get the impression that houdini is so complex and far ahead in that apartment, that it scares other software developers away, and they simply do not attempt to catch up in that area, thus they fall behind more and more
for each year instead of catching up.

erikals
01-20-2015, 10:51 AM
yes! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
i think we'll continue to see amazing stuff coming from the Houdini camp... http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/arteest.gif

Netvudu
01-20-2015, 03:51 PM
Houdini Indie is so good and cheap itīs a steal.
Seriously, with daily updates, itīs impossible not to consider it cheap as far as development goes and what you get in 12 months.

And a very good companion to Lightwave by the way.

cove
01-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Hi.
Found all your comments usefull and informative.
I now better appreciate Lightwave developers position with regard to providing special fx and that it still may take a while.
I have just one more question about Houdini Indi.
What happens at the end of the 12 month licence period if you do not renew the licence.
Will i still have full use of the software as it is or does it stop working untill you apply/get a new licence.
Regards.

Eagle66
01-21-2015, 11:42 AM
It stops working, Subscription only, is just the the same as the Adobe Subscription, no renew, no Software anymore. That's the price for rental Software....

cove
01-21-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks Eagle66 for quick reply.
I now know exactly what the situation is.
I think ill play about with the apprentice version for a while and see how i get on with
learning the programme then decide wether i want move on to the Indie version.

JamesCurtis
01-21-2015, 02:20 PM
I bought into Houdini Indie. $199 isn't too bad a price for a year, and I may renew for a second year. Even 2 years is cheaper than many software updates. I'm building a new 6 core PC for LW and it, plus a few other programs as well. It's my first new PC build in about 7 years.

Surrealist.
01-21-2015, 06:22 PM
I think ill play about with the apprentice version for a while and see how i get on with
learning the programme then decide wether i want move on to the Indie version.

That's what I would do. Because regardless of the outcome, a good deal of your time in the beginning will be spend learning the basics of the app. And it would be more economical in my mind to do that with the free version first. It is something I have had a plan to do for a while now and will get to it eventually.