PDA

View Full Version : Useful Aps for Android tablet?

pinkmouse
01-18-2015, 08:19 AM
So, I was given a 8.3" Android tab for chrimbo, and I've finally had time to start setting it up and downloading aps. I've already done the boring stuff, navigation, email and suchlike, but was wondering what's around and useful for the 3d artist? What do you have on your android tablet? What whiles away the hours on a train journey, or helps you get stuff done on the move?

XswampyX
01-18-2015, 08:24 AM
The Kindle app is good... take all your books, everywhere with you. :D

Also :- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=truesculpt.main&hl=en

danielkaiser
01-18-2015, 12:35 PM
123D Sculpt+ Probably not very useful couldn't find a way to import, but it's fun to play with.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.autodesk.Sculpt.

BeeVee
01-19-2015, 01:01 AM
Monument Valley. It's not a tool, but it is a beautiful Escher-esque 3D puzzle game. It's not difficult or very long but it is beautiful.

B

Kaptive
01-19-2015, 06:07 AM
Sleep as Android is pretty cool... nothing at all to do with 3D, but everything to do with a good nights sleep, which really helps with everything in general. Probably a bit better on a phone, but basically you sleep with your phone and it knows what phase of sleep you are in, and gently wakes you when you reach the end of the cycle closest to the time you set. It can also record any loud noises during your sleep, so you can see if you were snoring all night or talking in your sleep. Anyways, it is fun for a while and helps you get back into a natural rhythm if you're a bit out.

ES File Explorer allows you to access your PC, and is an android windows explorer type thing. It interfaces with Windows fine.

MX player is a useful video/media player and can support a lot more video types than the built in one. It can also do software decoding on the older codecs... but it still isn't as capable as just using a PC.

I find Google Goggles very useful for tracing the origin or name of images and designs when doing research for work. I can't give specific examples, but it is useful.

Depending on whether music comes into your work or not, Soundhound is fun and listens to a track through its microphone and tells you what it is. Can be really useful for finding music titles.

I've not really come across anything 3D based that would be useful to be honest... but I do think tablets help with general workflow in subtle ways like above.

BeeVee
01-19-2015, 07:11 AM
Also, perhaps more of a distraction than anything, get Plex and a Chromecast. That way you can watch all your ripped or downloaded films on your TV (or tablet) and use the tablet as a remote control.

B
PS. I'm not talking about pirated films and have no knowledge if it will work with them or not. It does with the films I've paid for (not iTunes or Google Play either).

pinkmouse
01-19-2015, 07:17 AM
Hmm, interesting stuff. I'm downloading 123D ATM, and just working out how to get my Apple Lossless encoded music to play on it.

BeeVee
01-19-2015, 08:27 AM
You might have a problem there if it's only designed to play through iTunes...

B