PDA

View Full Version : Maya and Lightwave objects ?.

cove
01-17-2015, 10:45 AM
Hi.
Any one know if you can export objects [with textures] in Lightwave format from within Maya.
If not then which export format would be best to use.
I may download the demo version of Maya and use the trail period to load in some previosly
saved Maya format objects then export them for use in lightwave.
Hopefully there export feature will not be disabled.
Regards KEN.

phillydee
01-17-2015, 10:52 AM
I don't know of any .LWO exporter for Maya, unless someone at a studio's written one. I would start with OBJ export. You may need to re-assign textures to polygons depending on your export settings. I would also check the FBX exporter; sometimes material info transfers better (From LW>Maya). The FBX exporter can also determine your unit scale, perhaps the OBJ exporter can as well, I'm just used to scaling back down in LW.

Good luck.

Surrealist.
01-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Normally you can just use FBX and it will come over. Is it a lot of objects? If not you can send them to me I'll do it for you. But FYI the trial will not have any exporter disabled but you will have to open the Plugin Manager and enable some of the import/export scripts, I think obj is off by default.

Nicolas Jordan
01-17-2015, 09:17 PM
Another possible option is Accutrans. It supports importing and exporting many different file formats but I have never tried it with any Maya files yet. http://www.micromouse.ca/file_formats.html

bobakabob
01-18-2015, 04:04 AM
An .obj exported from Maya should import into LW Modeler fine. You can then use the Parts to Surfaces plugin to make everything LW friendly. FBX should also works between the apps, no problem.
If you're exporting a LWO as an obj just make sure it only has 1 UV map and make sure LW's obj options are all activated in preferences.

cove
01-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Hi all.
Thanks for all your helpfull comments and info.
Also thankyou Surrealist for offering to convert a few objects for me.
May take you up on your offer if particular objects fail to convert successfully.
Will spent some more time searching for Maya objects before downloading the demo.

Surrealist.
01-18-2015, 05:45 PM
Cool, you know, another option if you get into a bind, find objects later etc, is to try to open them in Maya LT which has a 15 day trial period and a month rental is only 30 bucks.