PDA

View Full Version : Displacement in depth

Farhad_azer
01-16-2015, 02:34 PM
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

Is there any advice/in-depth help/etc on Displacement in Layout? I am still using LW 11 series and most of the time I don't get the result I really want.

Is lightwave perfect for displacement? honestly there are lots of things created on others work but I just can not get the desired result.

There are also other resources on web which complain about the feature of displacement as a hard topic so any eye-opening help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sensei
01-16-2015, 02:54 PM
To have good displacement you need enough resolution of mesh in the first place..

Typically people use sub-patches (classic one), with high sub-division level.

You don't describe what is your real problem, so how can we help to solve it?
Screen-shots, scenes etc.
Then we can help..

See how I am using displacements in LightWave to have HBO-like intro:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9_2p21UWg4

Rendered anim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMtepBsPsG4

(HBO had removed/hidden part of these tiles making text)

m.d.
01-16-2015, 06:50 PM
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

Is there any advice/in-depth help/etc on Displacement in Layout? I am still using LW 11 series and most of the time I don't get the result I really want.

Is lightwave perfect for displacement? honestly there are lots of things created on others work but I just can not get the desired result.

There are also other resources on web which complain about the feature of displacement as a hard topic so any eye-opening help would really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I assume you mean mesh displacement as in zbrush displacements, terrains.... micropoly and such?

jwiede
01-16-2015, 08:54 PM
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

For most use cases, Lightwave v11's displacement should be perfectly adequate for the task. There are some high-detail use cases where techniques such as "micropoly displacement" offer improvements in ways that native Lightwave cannot necessarily replicate. If you have enough RAM, DPont offers a micropoly displacement plugin that you might find addresses your needs in such use cases.

Sorry, but without a much clearer description of what you're trying to achieve, and why your results to date aren't meeting your needs, it is very difficult to provide you with useful solid advice / assistance.

prometheus
01-17-2015, 03:30 AM
The only thing negative I see with displacements in lightwave..maybe, that is lack of micropolydisplacements, but from inside lw team source, it is planned for.
And the mesh level poly amount needed for very high level displacement, it might not be able to compare to cinema4d perhaps, from what I have heard..but itīs also about machine hardware ram etc.

other than that, I think lightwaves aproach is very direct and easy to shape displacements, but there are different situations..depending if you want to import from zbrush etc..or just fiddle with fractal displacements etc.

so what is your goal?

Farhad_azer
01-17-2015, 04:10 AM
Dear friends,

First of all I wanted to gather some general information on disp, honestly I can not put my problems into words. knowing what the limits of disp in LW are will help me more.
The youtube video by Sensei was helpful bec I always use the classic approach and not the node based one,

I also did not know the DP solution, is there an specific node or tool for displacement in DP kit?

and one more question please, m.d, jwiede and Prometheus pointed the micropoly topic, what exactly is it? can't we just set the Render/subpatch to a high level so that it will get to a smaller scale and more detailed result? isn't it the micro poly displacement?