PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia PhysX FleX. New info!

cove
01-14-2015, 05:46 AM
Hi all.
Im shore a lot of you have seen this fluids etc video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljFUcBzYkPs
If not go view it now.
When i first saw this demo [and other demos] i was very impressed with it.
I know lightwave developers are aware of it but would not make any comment about it.
I looked into this software and found out that it will be available for variouse other software.
I emailed the company who are producing it and asked them if there will be a version for Lightwave 2015.1.
They informed me that if there is enough interest shown by the Lightwave community then they may produce
a plugin version for Lightwave 2015.1 later this year.
They also add there has to be a significant interest as converting there progamme can cost a lot.
The only other info i can add here is----
They have a beta version for Cinema 4d and the finished version will be available towards the end of the last
quater of this year which i think will cost about 250.
I for one will be keepig an eye on developments.
I also hope that the Lightwave development team include a lot of the features as seen in PhysX FleX.
But i feel shore that when Lightwave do release there fluids feature it will be well worth waiting for.
Regards KEN.

Every4thPixel
01-14-2015, 06:24 AM
I would love to have this in LW. Who doesn't? :D

Kaptive
01-14-2015, 07:41 AM
Very interesting, and actually 250 is pretty good. I'd invest I'm sure, if it was directly usable inside Lightwave. Like Syflex, it seems so fast and accessable. The question is, how do we let them know of our interest? I also wonder how many people they need to hear from before they are comfortable that there is enough interest to develop.

Regarding LW having its own built-in fluid system, is that something discussed or just expectation regarding future releases? I assume the later, and guess you're probably right. Perhaps a replacement for HV with fluids too. But I'm just guessing.

This is one of those things where not knowing what is coming can raise false positives. I say I'd buy a flex plugin for Lightwave, but then what if LW3DG release an alternative in the meantime? I guess that's just business. I'm sure each will have its own benefits and merits.

I imagine the Nvidia one will always be fast, but not 100% accurate (maybe). Another plus would be making more use out of the GPU, which LW doesn't really harness right now beyond Octane.

edit: Oh and thanks for making the enquiry and sharing the reply. Flex has come up several times over the last year with the question of "can we have this in LW?". Nice to have an answer, and even possibility.

jasonwestmas
01-14-2015, 07:59 AM
Anything that fast and accurate I would be all over!

hrgiger
01-14-2015, 08:05 AM
That is every software developers answer when someone asks if there will be such and such version- if there's enough interest.

creacon
01-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Flex will be integrated in PhysX SDK 3.4. I currently have a working version of PhysX 3.3.2 working in LW and will adapt it to Flex once it is available.

Because I haven't had much time lately I didn't come around to fixing the last bugs, but it's coming!

These are some old tests:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuv590EM3dC52M0w6gFbuZQ

creacon

ianr
01-14-2015, 10:09 AM
If should cinema get all the fun?

LW really needs this like yesterday!

cove
01-14-2015, 11:16 AM
Glad to see that my info has caught some interest.

Hi Kaptive.
To answer a few of your points.
Contact the company concerned by emailing them and let them know your interested.
Site. https://developer.nvidia.com/physx-flex
Regarding Lightwaves own fluid feature.
Ive made the presumption that Lightwave must be working on fluid and Fire&smoke dynamics as vitually every other 3d sofware has
these features now as standed and its just unthinkable that lightwave will not have fluids etc as part of a future feature set/update.
Also i agree with you that there is a potential delema here deciding wether to wait for Lightwave to release there version or to buy into
PhysX FleX. version, if they develope a plugin.
Personally i will buy the PhysX FleX. version if and when it becomes available.
Then happily wait for lightwave to bring there version out.

creacon
01-14-2015, 11:27 AM
Cove,

I don't understand what you're trying to say here. You post a link to the NVidia site. NVIDIA makes Flex and they will integrate it in PhysX.
PhysX is free, and Flex will probably be free too. NVidia provides plugins for Max and Maya, but these plugins only access a part of PhysX (no particles e.g.).

What makes you think that Newtek is working on this? They made the choice to implement Bullet, and who knows when that will support fluids and particles.

creacon

cove
01-14-2015, 01:45 PM
Hi all.
I have to hold my hands up here and admit that ive mixed up to separate items of software.
Nvidia PhysX FleX and INSYDIUM X-Particles.
I made reference to Nvidia replying to me when i enquired about a lightwave plugin.
It was not Nvidia i sent an email to and had a reply but INSYDIUM X-Particles.
Ive only just now realised my mistake when i finally found the email reply that i recieved.
If id found my email reply before i posted then obviously would have not posted.
Still i think some people got what i was enthusiactic about and replied diplomatically
so not to embarris me.
I can only apoligise for any confusion i may of caused.
Im going to start a new thread with the right info and will copy and paste the actuall reply that
i got from INSYDIUM X-Particles plus a link to the demo of there particle software which may
become a lightwave plugin in the near future.
Regards. KEN.

jwiede
01-14-2015, 08:13 PM
Im going to start a new thread with the right info and will copy and paste the actuall reply that
i got from INSYDIUM X-Particles plus a link to the demo of there particle software which may
become a lightwave plugin in the near future.

With all due respect, there is nothing in the reply you received from Insydium which in any way implies or suggests there will be any Lightwave plugin version of X-Particles available in the "near future" -- unless, that is, your personal definition of "near future" is equivalent with "years from now, at the soonest".

souzou
01-15-2015, 04:04 AM
Flex will be integrated in PhysX SDK 3.4. I currently have a working version of PhysX 3.3.2 working in LW and will adapt it to Flex once it is available.

Because I haven't had much time lately I didn't come around to fixing the last bugs, but it's coming!

These are some old tests:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuv590EM3dC52M0w6gFbuZQ

creacon

Hey Creacon, if you could integrate Flex into LW it would be amazing. Are you planning to release/sell a plugin? I think it would be very popular...

ianr
01-15-2015, 05:28 AM
creacon

U just gotta hang there & get this up & running.

i'm sure if & only if U need, the coders on github

would be helpful. please keep the thread updated on this.

lots of people would be very thankful for this.:lwicon:

Very Best of Luck:thumbsup:

creacon
01-15-2015, 02:27 PM
I contacted NVidia to get on the closed beta for Flex, but no answer so far.
The problem I have is a huge lack of time to finish this, so every day I can only do so much.

creacon

creacon
01-15-2015, 02:29 PM
And to answer the question about a release:

I don't know, I wanted to prove a point with this and it got out of hand :-)

creacon

01-15-2015, 02:47 PM
Did you make/prove the point?
:)

creacon
01-15-2015, 02:59 PM
Oh yes!

Ernest
01-16-2015, 03:31 AM
I contacted NVidia to get on the closed beta for Flex, but no answer so far.
The problem I have is a huge lack of time to finish this, so every day I can only do so much.

creacon

You and Hurley should work together on this. You're both pretty well into integrating Physx with LW and you both have a huge lack of time to finish it.