PDA

View Full Version : Squared circle problem

MagMa
01-13-2015, 01:48 AM
Hello, this is probably a really basic thing to know, but i can't figure it out my self due to lack of experience.

So when creating a circle or opening obj files with circles in the circles always become "squared" kind of like an octagon.

Thank you for reading and for your help!

Ztreem
01-13-2015, 02:55 AM
Do you have this problem when creating circles in LW? or are you importing circles made in another application?

Sensei
01-13-2015, 07:39 AM
Circle is made of array of lines. The more lines, the closer look to real circle.

While creating circle with sphere tool, adjust Segments.

Dexter2999
01-13-2015, 11:25 AM
Circle is made of array of lines. The more lines, the closer look to real circle.
While creating circle with sphere tool, adjust Segments.

Absolutely. Try opening your numeric panel and playing with the number of segments. This will help when creating circles.

However, your issue with circles from imported OBJ's...well, you are kind of stuck with what is there. The model is what the model is.

Sensei
01-13-2015, 11:46 AM
However, your issue with circles from imported OBJ's...well, you are kind of stuck with what is there. The model is what the model is.

Not quite.
You can select these edges, switch to points mode,
then create closed curve,
then use EasySpline's Spline Density (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfgTdxWSCCk) to increase quantity of segments.
Then freeze it to 2 point poly chain back with higher resolution.

MagMa
01-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Thank you :) the problem is for both downloaded, and selfmade circles. did not know i could adjust the amount of segments!

Sensei
01-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Have Numeric panel and 3 other panels opened like on my video tutorials. It'll be easier to work.

prometheus
01-15-2015, 09:10 PM
Have Numeric panel and 3 other panels opened like on my video tutorials. It'll be easier to work.

yupp..and I would add, organize your numeric "n"panels to the right maybe, and statistics info "w" and perhaps vertex maps "F8" after you have set them up nicely, close modeler and restart..and you will always, have them like that when you start lightwave, lightwave always saves the last window arrangements to the configuration files..when you close modeler.

There is also a specially designed UI plugin interface that could be helpful to manage windows...you have to browse through the forums to find it though :)

For downloaded circle objects, well you have to check how they originally was created, you canīt get more or less than it actually is made, fixing those is a bit of more tediuos manual work, same goes for fixing a circle you already
have made and dropped and for those already saved.

I am not sure if Senseis spline density can pick up a spline circle already made and make it editable to increase density? thereīs a difference between created polycircles and spline curves though.

a trick is to select your more quadric or not so many segmented circle, and select its point and make a closed curve, and then use shortcut ctrl-d to freeze it to polygons and it will have more segments than the original bad circle..the freeze command is also in the tab construct as a button.
the final polycircle might need to use the spherize command to make the circle even more perfect as a circle.

JoePoe
01-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Adding more segments to stand alone "circles"? Easy :hey:.

How about using Untangle!
(Modify > translate > more > untangle)
Certainly not as fluid a process as Spline Density plug....

.... but not too bad.
Add as many points as you like, wherever you like, however you like (if you divide the poly you will have to shift Z back to one). Run Untangle.... bang, equally spaced points in a circle.

Works in reverse too.... remove points, Untangle... circle. Even works off axis.

2 caveats: Depending on how evenly/or not you add/subtract points....
1. Untangle will shift the geometry a tiny bit.
2. Untangle rotates the geometry a bit.

When it's not a stand alone circle:
When the geometry is a part of a larger mesh AND off axis, Untangle gets stupid and wants to aligns the circle to a major axis. Use Axis Translate to fix. There is also a plug called Circlify for this very problem. The demo video shows it working flawlessly, but it only makes a mess for me :grumpy:.)