PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2015 & LW Brush Mesh Sculpting

brent3d
01-10-2015, 08:50 PM
My first test of the LW Brush mesh sculpting and editing tools by 3rd Powers. Just using a mouse, Fix Symmetry tool, Lightwave 2015, and a laptop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBxv7DKbvrI

01-10-2015, 09:08 PM
Sick!

And only at 1:16...

Nice to see. Thanks!

JamesCurtis
01-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Really cool!!!! I want to get it SOOOOOON!!

ernpchan
01-10-2015, 09:19 PM
Wow, great example of the tools in action.

The Dommo
01-11-2015, 04:23 PM
What's the command you are doing to mirror the brush alterations to the other side of the face/head?

brent3d
01-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Glad the vid was helpful. Here is a brief walk-through of LW Brush mesh sculpting and the SymmXMirror (not Fix Symmetry) tool used in my LW Brush Mesh Sculpting Demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgluDZg1nVM

jwiede
01-11-2015, 11:36 PM
Brent, maybe 1/3 into the second video you mentioned "should work with symmetry off". Was that because you think workflow with SymmXMirror is more efficient (not a functionality reason), because the 3rd Power tools don't work properly with symmetry, or for some other reason? Unless the prev. answers, do the tools support LW symmetry turned on?

Also, how is the undo support? Does one undo just undo the last sculpt action, all actions for the last tool, or...?

brent3d
01-12-2015, 01:29 AM
Brent, maybe 1/3 into the second video you mentioned "should work with symmetry off". Was that because you think workflow with SymmXMirror is more efficient (not a functionality reason), because the 3rd Power tools don't work properly with symmetry, or for some other reason? Unless the prev. answers, do the tools support LW symmetry turned on?

Also, how is the undo support? Does one undo just undo the last sculpt action, all actions for the last tool, or...?

As for Symmetry being off there are two reasons, the LW Brush tools ignore LW's Symmetry similar to how some other LW tools like the Knife tool do and SymmXMirror only works when Symmetry is turned off as well (LW Brush in conjunction with SymmX gets the job done with no frustration or worry of the Symmetry tool breaking).
Undo affects the last action regardless of what tool was used and at whatever Undo limit you have Modeler set to.

jwiede
01-12-2015, 06:18 PM
Undo affects the last action regardless of what tool was used and at whatever Undo limit you have Modeler set to.

I think I understand what you mean by this, but would like to confirm: Individual LWBrush "brush stroke actions" (or however you refer to them) are added to Modeler's undo stack just like other (undo-compatible) tools' actions, and the user is free to peel as many actions off the stack as they set the Modeler undo stack "deep" in preferences. Is that correct?

Are changes to brush settings also undoable, or just the brush actions themselves? If brush setting changes aren't undoable, can the settings be easily saved/restored? Any brush preset support?

brent3d
01-12-2015, 07:56 PM
I think I understand what you mean by this, but would like to confirm: Individual LWBrush "brush stroke actions" (or however you refer to them) are added to Modeler's undo stack just like other (undo-compatible) tools' actions, and the user is free to peel as many actions off the stack as they set the Modeler undo stack "deep" in preferences. Is that correct?

Are changes to brush settings also undoable, or just the brush actions themselves? If brush setting changes aren't undoable, can the settings be easily saved/restored? Any brush preset support?

Yes.

Brush size and strength (Numeric Panel data) are not affected by Undo... No LW Brush preset support that I know of at this time although that would be awesome!

Davewriter
01-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Well your share was Awesome!
Can't wait to see the next one(s)!!

jwiede
01-12-2015, 09:17 PM
No LW Brush preset support that I know of at this time although that would be awesome!

Yeah, being able to add your own brushes with custom params as "first-rate brushes" is very useful in ZBrush, 3DCoat, etc. so it should reasonably benefit this scenario as well. I'm not decided yet on purchase (other priorities ahead of it in the pipe) so if you want to suggest it to them, go ahead. Ideally, it'd be great to be able to drag from brush numeric panel and drop onto preset panel, but even a button on the brush numeric panel for "make preset" would be adequate.

Having a way to set custom brush tool and settings together as a single menu button/item would also be very useful, I suspect. Perhaps once a given tool & settings are saved as a "preset" there could be a command that activates the tool and pulls the brush numeric settings from the preset by ID (and then menu buttons/items would just be entries of "lwbrush_recall_tool_cmd <preset ID#>"). Hopefully that describes what I mean well enough.

Thanks for the info, Brent!