PDA

View Full Version : Objects interacting with Hard FX

Columbo24
01-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Hi
I'm working on a tutorial with dice on a craps table. I'm using collision for the table and hard fx on the dice. When I apply it the spots on the dice come off(Pic included). What's going on? The dice are in sub-d and I used untangle with polygon sub divisions to make the spots and added a surface texture.
Also what can I do to get the dice to interact with one another? I believe I can key frame after applying the effects to tailor it to my liking. Would this work to help them interact? And how do I do it.
Thanks guys you're always a big help.
Bill

prometheus
01-10-2015, 07:49 PM
Hi
I'm working on a tutorial with dice on a craps table. I'm using collision for the table and hard fx on the dice. When I apply it the spots on the dice come off(Pic included). What's going on? The dice are in sub-d and I used untangle with polygon sub divisions to make the spots and added a surface texture.
Also what can I do to get the dice to interact with one another? I believe I can key frame after applying the effects to tailor it to my liking. Would this work to help them interact? And how do I do it.
Thanks guys you're always a big help.
Bill

Any special reason for using the old legacy HardFX system? I would revisit and try the bullet engine instead.
why do you have the spots as disconnected geometry? why not use a simple image map? did you merge your objects points after messing with the geometry?

Canīt say much else on whatīs going on with interaction since we donīt know your settings...the only way best to fast check it, that would be for you to post the scene if you can.
But for better realism in interaction...I think Itīs better to use the bullet system.

GraphXs
01-11-2015, 08:49 AM
Yes, use bullet for dynamics, also no need to use the mesh geo, u can set the shape to a box for faster collisions. Another way is just use a simple box, run bullet and then parent the dice to the box. That way u can have the outcome be what u need on the dice.

jwiede
01-12-2015, 12:20 AM
That way u can have the outcome be what u need on the dice.

That's an excellent point. If you need to eventually generate all 36 outcomes, then you'll be much better off using normal maps (or even bump maps, depending) for the pips instead of geometry. Done with maps, you can generate the 6 maps needed, and just script which get used per die to automatically generate all 36 outcomes. Even if you don't need all outcomes, you'll be hard-pressed to tell the difference between good normal maps and actual geo, and normal maps will be easier to generate and work with in the scene.

Probably doesn't need to be said, but just in case: Don't expect Bullet to produce random distribution of outcome in a use case like this, the outcomes should be (and barring bugs, will be) highly deterministic, and dependent on each die's initial rotation.

prometheus
01-12-2015, 12:52 AM
Probably doesn't need to be said, but just in case: Don't expect Bullet to produce random distribution of outcome in a use case like this, the outcomes should be (and barring bugs, will be) highly deterministic, and dependent on each die's initial rotation.

Additional force with varied textures will do the trick.

Ryan Roye
01-12-2015, 06:48 AM
I would suggest learning the old dynamics systems of Lightwave selectively... assimilate what may be useful, and put away the stuff that is done better by bullet as everyone suggests.

For example:

- FX_Motion is a motion modifier that uses the old dynamics system. While much more basic than Bullet, it has the advantage of not requiring calculation with editing and provides much more interactive updating. You likely will never need to toggle this on/off like you do with bullet.

- Clothfx is still required to use Metalink (nodal metalink is 99% broken as of this writing).

- While much slower than all other dynamics systems available, clothfx is capable of actually cutting soft body objects. No other dynamics system available to Lightwave currently can do this without using pre-cut elements.

Of course, get very familiar with bullet before getting into any "legacy" stuff so you can know exactly what you should and should not be paying attention to.