PDA

View Full Version : Hypervoxel hurricane

Kerry
11-30-2003, 11:50 PM
I've created a hypervoxel hurricane about 7 mi. eye radius, short and squat per scene requirements, for use in an ocean-island environment. When I created the object and render out the test (about 150 points) in a blank scene, camera at a high, above and away looking in toward the eye, it rendered out fine. I saved the scene, and imported the object into the ocean environment, camera a little closer, but similar, reset the hypervoxels to match the original scene settings. And everytime I try to render it, it freezes. I've tried dissolving out all the other objects and rendering it, it freezes! I can open the other scene with the hurricane by itself and it works! The ocean is a high polygon-tab-mesh object, but in a scene with no AA, reflect/shadows on, I've got a quick render of about 2 minutes on a p-4 1.8 with 512mb. My test renderings of the hurricane itself are under 5 minutes, I know this will go up as I approach to pass through the clouds, but the freeze is puzzling me! I can supply images should there be any interest. Anyone have an idea?

Mylenium
12-01-2003, 04:32 AM
You worked the wrong way round! Import your ocean scene into your HV scene, otherwise HVs will screw up.

Mylenium

Kerry
12-01-2003, 02:40 PM
Thanks, I'll give it a try...

Kerry
12-03-2003, 04:21 PM
I tried importing the scene into the working HV scene...these stats show the results:
1. Environment ray trace refl, shadows, 1-pass=2 minutes per frm
2. HV scn gradient BD, same settings as above=5 minutes per frm
3. HV scn, imported environment, same settings=17 hrs per frm
4. HV scene, sky dome fractal clouds, single poly plane defining the "ground" same settings=5 hrs per frm.

In all cases only necessary lights enabled for the HV...unless there's a better idea out there, I'll have to look for alternative solutions, maybe compositing