PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave and Photoshop - Current status?

mpiper
01-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Back in 2008, there was a little program called Rendition. There was also a LWO Importer beta.

Now, we have Photoshop CC 2014 and Lightwave 2015. ( I currently have Lightwave 11.5.)

My job primarily uses Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects. Lightwave has always been an additional tool to create limited visuals to add into larger projects. My workflow has bee create and render in Lightwave and then import the finished video into premiere.

Now, Cinema 4D in included in After Effects, and I'm trying to decide if I should learn Cinema 4D or continue to use Lightwave. I looked to see if there was an updated Rendition, or some other LWO importer, but nothing seems to have been posted since around 2009.

Can anyone tell me what the current state of the union is as far as using Lightwave objects and scenes within Photoshop or After Effects?

Thanks!
Mike Piper

RebelHill
01-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Rendition is dead... LW now has native tools for exchange with AFX (someone else'll have to tell you the specifics of what those tools do/offer, I dont know much of the detail on that).

jhinrichs
01-06-2015, 09:18 AM
https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/lightwave-115-after-effects-interchange/

I haven't used AFX with Lightwave for awhile, but from what I remember, it's a decent interchange. Can transfer camera data and nulls back and forth.

Here's a video

https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/article/lightwave-115-after-effects-interchange/

hrgiger
01-06-2015, 11:33 AM
I knew Rendition was dead but I also had seen that Photoshop had some type of 3D capability itself? I use Creative Cloud but to be honest, Ive never looked into that aspect of Photoshop, can someone elaborate on what 3D capability PS does have?

tonyrizo2003
01-06-2015, 11:41 AM
To work with 3D files in Photoshop, you simply need to export your .lwo as an .obj file and then import it into Photoshop. While Photoshop can work with 3D objects I have always found it cumbersome to do so and I have a nice beefy workstation. If you want to draw and edit UV maps then you'll need to make them in LW and save them with the .obj file.

My recommendation to you for texturing is to either texture your object in Lw or some other 3D app like 3D coat or Zbrush and then bring it into AFX

Ma3rk
01-06-2015, 11:51 AM
You might want to also check out Video Co-Pilot's Element 3D https://www.videocopilot.net/products/element2/ It's a plug-in for After Effects. It doesn't work with LWO's directly but you can export them out from Modeler as OBJ's if need be. Be sure to watch the video product tour.

mpiper
01-06-2015, 11:57 AM
Thanks. I'll check into this. I'm just trying to figure out the best solution, since I only use Lightwave about 1-2 times per year. I see the "send to AFX" button in Layout, but I don't see the export to Lighwave in After Effects. do I need to reinstall Lightwave to get that added?

raw-m
01-06-2015, 02:15 PM
LW's exchange tools are excellent, a lot of improvements in LW2015 - really fast, select, send and the data goes through quickly in both directions. If you want to get the models into AE you'll need Element 3d, and export models as an obj. I'm currently researching a workflow between Layout and Element 3d where you export an obj and data and have it marry up exactly in AE through parenting. I'll share when I'm happy!

Cineware looks very attractive on the face of it but it's been described as very slow, "a developers wet dream" is one description that made me laugh. I don't think you get objects through Cineware but it does have excellent access to render buffers. You can also open c4d file directly in Element 3d.

Ma3rk
01-06-2015, 03:15 PM
Thanks. I'll check into this. I'm just trying to figure out the best solution, since I only use Lightwave about 1-2 times per year. I see the "send to AFX" button in Layout, but I don't see the export to Lighwave in After Effects. do I need to reinstall Lightwave to get that added?

It should be there but might not be in your current menus is all. Go into Edit, Edit Menu Layout (Alt F10), the search for AE. There should be 4 items.

M.

Mr_Q
01-06-2015, 05:03 PM
You need to install he plugin in to AfterFX from the LW install. It no longer copies it in to place. Once you do that, it will show up under FILE in AE. I created a shortcut to mine (since it gets updated often in the beta cycle) here: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe After Effects CC 2014\Support Files\Plug-ins\AEtoLW.aex

Lightwave stores this plugin here: C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave_2015\support\3rdparty_suppo rt\AfterEffects