PDA

View Full Version : How to edit polychain lik a curve in Modeler?

madno
01-05-2015, 12:48 PM
Hi,
I made a curve with PX_Bezier and hit enter. As result I got a two point poly chain.
I copied the chain and moved it to the right a little.
Is there a way to convert the new polychain into a curve again so that I can manipulate the knots with handles like I did when creating the initial curve? The goal is that the number of points on both curves remains the same (want to use bridge or something like that).

Or is the way I started this already wrong?

(EDIT: and is there a way to correct typos in the thread title?)

Lewis
01-05-2015, 12:59 PM
NO, you can't go back to "LIVE" editing mode, that's the problem of LW destructive type of modeling. So either start from sratch again or use drag net, magnet, move or some other fallof tool to adjust curve with more soft touch than just moving points manually and destroying smoothenss.

madno
01-05-2015, 01:22 PM
Ok,
thanks Lewis

JoePoe
01-05-2015, 01:28 PM
Next time remember that your curve can be saved in/with PX_Bezier. Bezier handles and all.
(edit: perhaps I misread. Maybe I'm stating the obvious and you knew this already and hit enter without saving by accident. Well, at any rate, now others may be aware of that plug feature.)

Also, there is stuff like Toggle lines/curves (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/ef-toggle-linescurves/).
But you won't get the handles back,....it does give you smooth transitions between points though.... if that's enough.

Otherwise... as above.

Sensei
01-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Use TrueArt's Bezier polygon handler instead http://www.trueart.eu
It's all the time Bezier.
Until you freeze it with Freeze Bezier tool (which converts to Catmull-Rom curve or 2 point poly chain as you wish).
You can even have it saved to LWO, and the next day edit as Bezier..
EasySpline http://www.easyspline.com
see them as curves and appropriately make spline patches in fly.

prometheus
01-05-2015, 02:34 PM
NO, you can't go back to "LIVE" editing mode, that's the problem of LW destructive type of modeling. So either start from sratch again or use drag net, magnet, move or some other fallof tool to adjust curve with more soft touch than just moving points manually and destroying smoothenss.

well..since he was actually using px Bezier, he can store the bezier curve before converting, and load it back again to use as bezier curve or polylines, there is an option to do that within the px bezier interface, the files are stored as path.cfg ...that also means he could further on refine the spline with adding additional nots etc, itīs not history or so called paremetric modeling, but the next best thing ..which is saving out your curves as reloadable paths.

Michael

jeric_synergy
01-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Senseii's tools sound better: I loathe having to save multiple files to work on a project; background cfgs being a huge case in point (why aren't they saved with the object? They're just a couple of file pointers). :grumpy:

Lewis
01-05-2015, 02:41 PM
well..since he was actually using px Bezier, he can store the bezier curve before converting, and load it back again to use as bezier curve or polylines, there is an option to do that within the px bezier interface, the files are stored as path.cfg ...that also means he could further on refine the spline with adding additional nots etc, itīs not history or so called paremetric modeling, but the next best thing ..which is saving out your curves as reloadable paths.

Michael

Sure but he did not do those steps and he asks cah he get it live/editable back NOW after the tool is droped and so on :). So i understand how the tool works but in his case there is only redoing it or do what I suggested so i don't see why you are answering/correcting me :)???

Sensei
01-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Sure but he did not do those steps and he asks cah he get it live/editable back NOW after the tool is droped and so on :). So i understand hw the tool works but in his case there is only redoign it or do wha ti suggested so i dont' see why you are answering/correncting me :)???

Select all 2-point poly chain in polygon mode, press Select > Convert to.. > Point selection,
then press ctrl-p to make new curve.
And we have Catmull-Rom curve made of all these points.
Obviously too many points.
But then we can use Spline Density
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfgTdxWSCCk
and reduce number of points to smaller.
and adjust points positions..

prometheus
01-05-2015, 02:49 PM
Sure but he did not do those steps and he asks cah he get it live/editable back NOW after the tool is droped and so on :). So i understand how the tool works but in his case there is only redoing it or do what I suggested so i don't see why you are answering/correcting me :)???

just wanted him to know about the option to store paths, not intended as a correction lesson for you in anyway..sorry if it came across like that, it may be that if he is aware of that option, he could prevent the -redoing in the future, maybe not for this event..but in the future, I just wanted to fill in his options, since no one did, donīt know why I specificly choose yours to reply on, maybe just because you mentioned there was no way to go back and live edit..and maybe I just thought you might or sort of could have filled in on the pz_bezier options.:D

prometheus
01-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Senseii's tools sound better: I loathe having to save multiple files to work on a project; background cfgs being a huge case in point (why aren't they saved with the object? They're just a couple of file pointers). :grumpy:

I thought that bezier was commercial?

Canīt sensei and pictrix..hook up for a virtual beer going the route from japan to poland(or the other way around) become friendly and intimate and join forces of two excellent brains, and thus we can have the best of senseiīs beatiful curves and pictrix control and handles:D

raw-m
01-05-2015, 02:56 PM
I used EasySpline recently to do this: http://youtu.be/EShXIdwK7RQ

I'm still learning it but so far I'm finding it very versatile.

Sensei
01-05-2015, 03:11 PM
TrueArt's Bezier polygon handler is free.

EasySpline is commercial.

Sensei
01-05-2015, 03:19 PM
I used EasySpline recently to do this: http://youtu.be/EShXIdwK7RQ

I'm still learning it but so far I'm finding it very versatile.

That was pretty cool.

JoePoe
01-05-2015, 03:41 PM
....I just wanted to fill in his options, since no one did, ...

I did :tongue: :D

jeric_synergy
01-05-2015, 03:46 PM
TrueArt's Bezier polygon handler is free.

EasySpline is commercial.
All true, of course, but EasySpline offers so MANY powerful tools and IMO the workflow is superior. For users doing a lot of modeling, it warrants a very thorough examination.

And like I said, I H8 keeping track of multiple files to work on one damn object: I really wish LW3dG would eliminate such requirements. Isn't the the LWO format extensible? Adding a chunk to keep Beziers and background cfg files certainly isn't impossible.

madno
01-05-2015, 03:54 PM
Did not know about path saving in PX_Bezier :bangwall:

Will check the other suggestions.

Thank you for the help.
Found a video from hrgiger about basic spline editing.
That helped as well.
What would a noob like me do without the forum.
:bowdown:

prometheus
01-05-2015, 04:47 PM
I did :tongue: :D

Uhmm..indeed so, what was I thinking, just skimming through the thread, not reading it properly, o well..must have been something in the coffe this morning that werenīt quite right:D
to further describe it over excessive..hereīs an image to go with that:) ..probably just wasting thread space :D

For sensei...I somehow knew before that some of your tools were free and possilbe this one, but I have forgotten about it, a suggestion..not sure it will be good but, why not change the web page sections/buttons?
One clearly stating "free plugins" Instead of downloads, and the other commercial plugins, and then list respective tools directly.

Right now you have download and product, not sure if it would be more clear to people if you rename that, and also under the product tab, simply list all the available commercial plugins directly without that page describing lightwave and having it contain a link to the main products, that page donīt feel necessary ..skip it and we can reach what we are looking for much faster without too many clicks, and the download page I would suggest to rename to free plugins.

Just for you consideration, it will either make sense to you, or nonsense :) Youré in command ..as always of course:D

Sensei
01-05-2015, 11:54 PM
For sensei...I somehow knew before that some of your tools were free and possilbe this one, but I have forgotten about it, a suggestion..not sure it will be good but, why not change the web page sections/buttons?
One clearly stating "free plugins" Instead of downloads, and the other commercial plugins, and then list respective tools directly.

Commercial plugins have mentioned price, free does not have.

Right now you have download and product, not sure if it would be more clear to people if you rename that, and also under the product tab, simply list all the available commercial plugins directly without that page describing lightwave and having it contain a link to the main products, that page donīt feel necessary ..skip it and we can reach what we are looking for much faster without too many clicks, and the download page I would suggest to rename to free plugins.

Rethink personally what is reason of making free plugins ;)

prometheus
01-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Commercial plugins have mentioned price, free does not have.

Rethink personally what is reason of making free plugins ;)

to upload? :D

spherical
01-07-2015, 11:13 PM
NO, you can't go back to "LIVE" editing mode, that's the problem of LW destructive type of modeling.

YES, you can: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?143993-Splines-Curves-EasySpline-Rail-Extrude-Pipes-gt-Render-and-Still-Remain-Editable&p=1403979&viewfull=1#post1403979
Done it so many times I've lost count.