PDA

View Full Version : it's possible to drive somehow the texture size for a certain part of the model?

AmigaNewTek
01-05-2015, 07:24 AM
Hello,

trying to drive the texture size in a model, making the texture bigger in certain areas while smaller in other areas.

Thank you very much

RebelHill
01-05-2015, 08:12 AM
You can do it with nodal. Put a weightmap on your object, where percentage equates to scale (100% will = 1m) and either pipe that into the scale inputs, or use it as a multiplier to some value input.

AmigaNewTek
01-05-2015, 08:44 AM
You can do it with nodal. Put a weightmap on your object, where percentage equates to scale (100% will = 1m) and either pipe that into the scale inputs, or use it as a multiplier to some value input.

Thank you.

Il will try your suggestions

JoePoe
01-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Also with distance to object driving a gradient?

(in this case a null) 126414

Pros: effect can be animated across the model surface. Just move the reference object.

Cons: 1) area affected will be "spherical" in shape. 2)... and, weight map is easier for multiple areas of control.

edit: :D we posted at the exact same time. Don't think I've ever done that before.

AmigaNewTek
01-05-2015, 08:58 AM
Sorry, i don't know all the nodes and how to use those. Could you please explain better?

AmigaNewTek
01-05-2015, 09:27 AM
Tried with some values. There are some good results, but other are not so good.

Assuming i would like to texture a dinosaur, in certain area the skin could be more bigger or bumped, while in other areas the skin could be more this.
Probably i have to subdivide the same texture in sub texture and change each values based on the needs. But in this case, the texture will look like as continuous or there will be noticeable differences?

JoePoe
01-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Hmmm. Well, I don't know nodes all that well either (that's why the question mark after my first sentence :))

However... As far as I understand it....Got the distance (Math node > vector >distance) from a null's world position (the Item Info node above) to the object with the pattern's World spot. Fed that result as Input into a gradient which in turn drives the texture scale (whiter=bigger.... see above)...(Gradient works the same as in layers approach.) The -6 and +6 start stop values are arbitrary distances that worked with my rectangle, they should be specific to the size of your model.

Edit: almost another simultaneous post! If you're doing a dinosaur, I'd stick with the weight map option :thumbsup:.