PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 2015.1- Instancing problem

M-X
01-05-2015, 03:53 AM
Happy new year!
I upgraded one of my machines to 2015.1 but have found that if I open a scene with instancing that was created in 11.6 all good then I save in 2015.1 and open it back up in 11.6 the instancing is no longer working. Any ideas?

50one
01-05-2015, 04:04 AM
Don't get me wrong but somehow I'm not surprised it doesn't work.

S

spherical
01-05-2015, 04:06 AM
Some things cannot be back-compatible if things are expected to move forward.

Nicolas Jordan
01-05-2015, 05:51 AM
I would expect to be able to open 11.6 scenes without any problems in 2015 but I would not expect to be able to open 2015 scenes in 11.6. We should not have to redo a huge instancing setup just to render it in 2015. This is the reason many old systems have stayed in place over the years like the old dynamics system and the "classic camera" to help ensure compatibility when loading older scenes in newer versions.

Lewis
01-05-2015, 05:00 PM
2015 (and 2015.1) instancing (placing of instacnes and visibilit yoptions) is not backwards compatible. So it's not a bug, more like annoyance but that's the way it is now, no way goign back and there will be more and more of that "no way going back" if we want changes to e bigger/deeper in LW.

Sanchon
01-05-2015, 05:23 PM
This is because they did very good thing in instance system that is not compatible with previous versions. Now you can add to one null or points cloud, instance generator with for example 50 types of cars or people and randomizing them using random seed option. Very good to manually placing many types of instances using nulls or points without repeating effect or for choose exactly instance from the list by randomizing the seed. It was possible before but scene time loading was extremally long because each null had listed all of the instance objects in the scene file. If you had 50 nulls with such amount of instance objects attached to them - scene size and loading times highly grows because the same instancing object was loaded many times. Now you can do this without waiting many minutes to load such scenes because instance object is loading only once.

Chris S. (Fez)
01-05-2015, 08:49 PM
that's the way it is now... "no way going back" if we want changes to be bigger/deeper in LW.

Excellent. I approve.

jwiede
01-06-2015, 01:20 PM
2015 (and 2015.1) instancing (placing of instacnes and visibilit yoptions) is not backwards compatible. So it's not a bug, more like annoyance but that's the way it is now, no way goign back and there will be more and more of that "no way going back" if we want changes to e bigger/deeper in LW.

Realistically, most software behaves similarly, this behavior should really be considered "normal operation". LW provides an option for explicitly saving in prior versions' formats to address this scenario -- if backwards-compat. is essential then perhaps try saving in an older format?

Sensei
01-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Happy new year!
I upgraded one of my machines to 2015.1 but have found that if I open a scene with instancing that was created in 11.6 all good then I save in 2015.1 and open it back up in 11.6 the instancing is no longer working. Any ideas?

You can't save in newer version of any application, and count on that it will work in older..
Newer version is adding new features, structures are extended to incorporate changes.

Lewis
01-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Realistically, most software behaves similarly, this behavior should really be considered "normal operation". LW provides an option for explicitly saving in prior versions' formats to address this scenario -- if backwards-compat. is essential then perhaps try saving in an older format?

Sure, as I said it's the sacrifice we must accept if we want the tool to progress faster/better with deeper changes.

As for saving in older version yes that's good idea and i didnt' test that but somehow i doubt ther eis "save as 11.x" version scene file. I remember ther eis save as v9, v8, v6 and probably v5.6 but not sur ehow woudl save as 9.x help sicne 9.x didn't have instancing at all. Maybe it's worth checking woudl it work if it's saved as v 9.2. so M-X you can try that :).

jwiede
01-06-2015, 08:27 PM
As for saving in older version yes that's good idea and i didnt' test that but somehow i doubt ther eis "save as 11.x" version scene file.

Now that would fall somewhere between bug and feature request: The whole point of version-specific saving is to address this scenario. As there clearly is a new saving format version with 2015, "v11 format" (and perhaps also separate "v11.5/6 format", because of major flocking & instancing changes between v11 & v11.5/6) should have been added to LW version-specific saving support. If they weren't, it's worth at least filing a bug/feature request.