PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision onto terrain (green)

cbreton49
01-03-2015, 11:15 AM
NVG NIGHT VISION GOGGLES

I am creating an aviation accident at night and the pilot used NVG's - is there a way to portray the night being green as if you were looking through
Night Vision Goggles on the terrain? I was thinking just using the sun and playing with the color to create that kind of a look - any suggestions would be helpful!!

Thanks so much in advance.

Carol

prometheus
01-03-2015, 12:02 PM
thereīs the image filter night vision..add it from Effects/Processing/add image filter/nightvision

though it has no parameters ..so it will only give you one fixed look, I would suggest use a compositing program if you have and add filters there, or use this and tone the greenish down, I think it is a little to strong by default.
you can also mix with virtual darkroom filter, virtual darkroom you can also use for adding grain, often with night vision...there is grain due to iso settings ..I think.

If you donīt have after effects, you could go and get fusion 7 for free, I am sure it must have some sort of filter that would create that effect.

Michael

cbreton49
01-03-2015, 12:07 PM
thereīs the image filter night vision..add it from Effects/Processing/add image filter/nightvision

though it has no parameters ..so it will only give you one fixed look, I would suggest use a compositing program if you have and add filters there, or use this and tone the greenish down, I think it is a little to strong by default.
you can also mix with virtual darkroom filter.

Michael

OH wow, i will search it out and see how i might be able to manipulate it, i'm in the middle of a render right now but soon as i can i will check it out.
I use Final Cut for post production I wonder if that offers a colored filtering... I will check -
Thanks so much!!

prometheus
01-03-2015, 12:19 PM
additional filters like vignette, and wave filter to reduce saturation might help,final realism also depends on actual ligth strength in the scene.

I forgot this thread...free fusion.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144353-Fusion-7-now-FREE&highlight=fusion

cbreton49
01-03-2015, 12:26 PM
additional filters like vignette, and wave filter to reduce saturation might help,final realism also depends on actual ligth strength in the scene.

I forgot this thread...free fusion.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144353-Fusion-7-now-FREE&highlight=fusion

Thank you so much, I now have an avenue to follow, thanks for the link as well!!
Oh i just checked the Fusion and it's only for Windows, darn I have a MAC, but still appreciate your advise...

Carol

Megalodon2.0
01-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Thank you so much, I now have an avenue to follow, thanks for the link as well!!
Oh i just checked the Fusion and it's only for Windows, darn I have a MAC, but still appreciate your advise...

Carol

A Mac version of Fusion is coming as well as (I believe) a Linux version.

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 10:11 AM
A Mac version of Fusion is coming as well as (I believe) a Linux version.

I found the nightvision effects/processing/add image filter/nightvision but, it tells me : The NightVison plug-in has no interface.
What does this mean? Do I not have that plug-in and if not how can I get it?

Thanks
Carol

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Hi there, on Mac you can achieve this kind of result very easily with Motion 5. You even have a night vision preset in Final Cut Pro X with a good lot of parameters available for fine tuning.

Edit : maybe the picture attached will be more explicit.

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Hi there, on Mac you can achieve this kind of result very easily with Motion 5. You even have a night vision preset in Final Cut Pro X with a good lot of parameters available for fine tuning.

Edit : maybe the picture attached will be more explicit.

I have Final Cut Pro, but never used Motion which i have Motion 3 - would it be in there as well? Thank you for the image it's very helpful, and i am guessing that's in Motion 5 - Am I able to bring in my whole project into Motion from Final Cut?
Thanks
Carol

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Nope, the picture is taken from inside final cut pro X, not in motion.
But maybe you stil have FCP 7 ?
Integration between motion 5 and Final Cut Pro X is fantastic. Basically, when you create a generator in Motion for Final Cut, when you save it, it is automatically put in FCP library. If you need to edit an effect, you can start the effect from FCP to Motion, and it's updated in FCP when you save the effect in motion. Very handy.
Motion is a real Gem. For 35 €, it's a steal. Many effects that would take forever to render in LW can be added in Motion very quickly.
You can take a look at what Simon Ubsdell is able to do with it on his YT channel :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c46tWEb2grLQ95OGLxBJQ?feature=watch

Hope it helps.

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 12:53 PM
Gosh, I will have to look into that a bit more, I do have Final Cut Pro and Motion 3 - I hated to upgrade to Pro X because it seemed unstable for a while there.
I am using LightWave v11.6.3 then post production in FC - and looking at your image Motion 5 is a bit different. Hmmm, wish the LW plugin "nightvision" would
just work - tells me it has no interface so i'm guessing it's not really there. Maybe I could filter in FC to give a night vision effect, not sure...
maybe i should just upgrade the Motion 5 ? is that possible without upgrading the FCPro ?

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Once again, the picture is taken from Final Cut Pro X, not Motion 5. But yes, you can upgrade to Motion 5 without upgrading FCP. Final Cut Pro X has become much more mature, now, this said - I really love it, and all the editors of my team have requested to shift from Adobe Premiere to Final Cut pro X last month.
Back on topic, I am uploading a short video demoing how to get this effect in motion. It should work in motion 3, as it is done with very basic effects and filters. It should be available in ten minutes. I'll post the link here.

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 01:11 PM
You are awesome!!

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 01:11 PM
Hmmm, wish the LW plugin "nightvision" would
just work - tells me it has no interface so i'm guessing it's not really there.

Yes, it is there. Just hit F9, you'll see the effect appearing. But you have no control on it.

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
yes i did a render and do see the effect, the no control sucks but maybe i can use it in some respects to my advantage, we'll see but also looking forward to your demo thanks so much Capt!

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 01:14 PM
You are awesome!!

Thanks !
I've been helped on LW community so often that I'm glad when I can help also ! :)

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 01:16 PM
yes i did a render and do see the effect, the no control sucks but maybe i can use it in some respects to my advantage, we'll see but also looking forward to your demo thanks so much Capt!

he, he, actually uploading and processing the demo on YT is ten times longer than creating the effect in Motion !

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 01:18 PM
oh darn, are you still going to upload it though? as there are no tuts over there that i could find on it !!

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 01:19 PM
At last ! Here is the link to the video (it's very rough, and with no sound as I recorded it while putting my daughter to sleep !!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsVdUyb4mw&feature=youtu.be

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 01:21 PM
Just watched your Solaris on you tube and you are very good!!

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Thanks !

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 01:25 PM
ok got your demo, downloading it now so i can learn from it thanks so much!!

CaptainMarlowe
01-04-2015, 01:27 PM
You're welcome. I hope it'll help.
Off to sleep now, tomorrow will be a long day. ;)

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 01:27 PM
Thanks so much !! sweet dreams !!

cbreton49
01-04-2015, 02:14 PM
Thank you Capt your demo was perfect, i think i might be able to use it in what i am doing. Was in French, lol but i managed 126407

CaptainMarlowe
01-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Glad if I could help !