PDA

View Full Version : RH Animation Tutorials... Released

RebelHill
01-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Well finally...

A lot of folk have been asking for something like this for a while... and here it finally is... a complete and highly detailed guide to animation in LightWave...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AOp5Tso2Gg&index=1&list=PLTds3QePYrWG56oTN-iKrZEEeAg4aph6m

Available here... http://rebelhill.net/html/rha.html As ever, the foundations chapter is FREE, and you can view it in the playlist on the website/youtube.

This collection includes a MASSIVE 28 hours of content covering all aspects of animation, the art, the tools and the techniques, illustrated by a range of different examples, and supported with a whole progression of exercises to help those newer to animation grow their skills and get busy creating their art.

Also... this series can be found within my new product bundle offers... http://rebelhill.net/html/bundles.html for those wanting complete training, or rigging and animation solutions for LightWave.

Don't forget... there is discount pricing available for existing owners of RHiggit Pro or the RH Rigging training series (be sure to check the price dropdowns), and if you're also looking to add any other such products, then don't miss the New Year Sale I'm running for the remainder of this month... http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145100-RH-New-Year-Sale-and-New-Bundles

I hope you'll like this new tutorial series very much, and... as ever... learn and gain a great deal from it.

Cheers all.

ernpchan
01-03-2015, 11:29 AM
You sir are an amazing asset to the community.

freeflyklown
01-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Very cool! Still I have a few questions:
- Which LW Version is required to follow along the tutorials?
- Does the tutorial also go into rigging, or animation only?
- I Need to learn character Animation for game characters...would this be a good tutorial or is it "too much"?

Thanks!

RebelHill
01-03-2015, 11:50 AM
- Which LW Version is required to follow along the tutorials?
- Does the tutorial also go into rigging, or animation only?
- I Need to learn character Animation for game characters...would this be a good tutorial or is it "too much"?

Any version really... almost everything detailed in them dates back as far as I can remember (V6). However... if you're going to be using the supplied rigs... V9.6 is a minimum, and a couple of small changes do exist with the exact operation of a couple described tools/button placements/etc, where things may appear a bit different if you're not on either V11x or 2015... But since the series is primarily built around teh "craft" of animation, no specific LW version is absolutely required. (I guess for the bulk of whats in there... LW isnt even a must have).

Animation only... issues about rigs are covered briefly (see the video in the foundations chapter)... as rigs ofc are a MAJOR animation tool. You can find my other series of tutorials on rigging too if you like, and/or my autorigger toolset (good for games). See the bundles section where you can find whole sets if you desire them.

I don't know... is it too much? Animation is animation at the end of the day... Though these videos go pretty deep (and in some cases long) on certain animation tasks, it's entirely up to you to decide how much time/effort/quality you want to inject into a given piece... the craft is the same no matter what.

You sir are an amazing asset to the community.

Most kind, most kind.

JohnMarchant
01-03-2015, 11:54 AM
Very cool, now i need to remember what version of RHRiggit i have, pretty sure it was Pro not Studio, as im not one.

OnlineRender
01-03-2015, 12:19 PM
wicked stuff ,shared.

freeflyklown
01-03-2015, 12:42 PM
thanks for the answer! One more question: The game characters I Need to make are bipeds and animals (quadruped)....so is the lite Version rhiggit sufficient? I plan to use either Unity, UE4 or Torque3Dm which means I will have to export the anim to fbx or collada.

Surrealist.
01-03-2015, 01:40 PM
Looks very cool. What about content? Are there scenes to DL with rigs etc? It was not clear on the site.

sukardi
01-03-2015, 05:58 PM
Wow. What a way to start 2015. Definitely getting this :)

RebelHill
01-04-2015, 08:28 AM
thanks for the answer! One more question: The game characters I Need to make are bipeds and animals (quadruped)....so is the lite Version rhiggit sufficient? I plan to use either Unity, UE4 or Torque3Dm which means I will have to export the anim to fbx or collada.

Sure... Lite does both biped and quad... though only with fixed presets. There's no ability to go tinkering with number of spine bones or whatever else. You cant custom design the "parts" though can still ofc switch and choose their control methods.

What about content? Are there scenes to DL with rigs etc?

Ofc... all the rigs and meshes used in the series are included, as are the final animated scenes from each of the projects.

Cheers.

freeflyklown
01-04-2015, 09:05 AM
Rebelhill, does rhiggit work with LW 9.6? or is 11 or later required?

RebelHill
01-04-2015, 09:06 AM
11.6+ is required for RHiggit, yes. No way around that one Im afraid.

chikega
01-04-2015, 09:08 AM
Wow, I'm still plodding through the RH Rigging tutorials and Rhiggit 2 tutorials! You are indeed an asset to the LW community Craig! :) And thank you for the discount for owners of Rhiggit Pro :)

Surrealist.
01-04-2015, 11:04 AM
OK great, and I now see you did mention the supplied rigs. Missed that.

Looks like a great series!

DesertRat
01-04-2015, 11:09 AM
What a great New Year surprise! Started watching the Foundations videos this morning...will be purchasing soon. Thanks for the discount for owners of your Rigging tutorials - very generous. Happy New Year to you!

allabulle
01-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Purchased! Fantastic tutorials so far. Thanks RH!

spherical
01-04-2015, 09:11 PM
They are. Well thought out, clear and evenly paced--with no wasted motion or time, professionally edited and delivered. ***** < (5 Stars)

VicMackey
01-05-2015, 11:07 AM
Also purchased thank you for the quick delivery :)

hrgiger
01-05-2015, 02:40 PM
Bought today, thanks RH!

Fsoto
01-06-2015, 09:56 AM
Downloaded them last night; I must say I am starting the year off right!
This is great information!

bobakabob
01-06-2015, 03:43 PM
Checking out the YouTube freebies, I really like the provocative attitude and thought provoking explorations of what animation *is* and the discussions of best practice with reference to your own examples good and bad. It's like a condensed university course. As soon as I've recovered from investing in LW 2015 upgrade, Advanced Placement and forthcoming LW Brush I'm really looking forward to viewing the whole series (loads of great developments for LW lately).

RebelHill
01-06-2015, 04:38 PM
I really like the provocative attitude and thought provoking explorations of what animation *is* and the discussions of best practice with reference to your own examples good and bad.

I s'pose what Im getting at there... put more concisely are two things.

First... There's been this "thing" going around for a while now, where somehow, "all art is valid". Well... valid it may be... but that's not the same thing as being any good, nor having any actual merit or worth. I've seen TONS of rubbish posted up on line, with comments along the lines of "great work" pasted to it, which I think is TERRIBLE, as it only serves to spread an acceptance of mediocrity and reward failure with praise.

I've no time for poor or low quality work, nor those who are happy and satisfied to produce it. What I certainly DO have time and every respect for, however, are those who work and try and aspire to better, who truly put the effort in even if they fall short and have their ambitions outweight their abilities. So what if you produced rubbish this time... if you want to (eventually) make something great, you'll learn the lessons, and try again.

Secondly... the first must be tempered with the simple fact that we live in the real world of budgets, deadlines, etc... thus compromises must be made, and even the big boys (as per the shrek example) will cut corners when they can. That's not a bad thing, and any work of "true art" is never finished.

khan973
01-07-2015, 12:45 AM
there's been this "thing" going around for a while now, where somehow, "all art is valid". Well... Valid it may be... But that's not the same thing as being any good, nor having any actual merit or worth. I've seen tons of rubbish posted up on line, with comments along the lines of "great work" pasted to it, which i think is terrible, as it only serves to spread an acceptance of mediocrity and reward failure with praise.

amen

spherical
01-07-2015, 02:48 AM
I've no time for poor or low quality work, nor those who are happy and satisfied to produce it.

Nor those who will be satisfied to buy it.

What I certainly DO have time and every respect for, however, are those who work and try and aspire to better, who truly put the effort in even if they fall short and have their ambitions outweight their abilities. So what if you produced rubbish this time... if you want to (eventually) make something great, you'll learn the lessons, and try again.

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

Secondly... the first must be tempered with the simple fact that we live in the real world of budgets, deadlines, etc... thus compromises must be made,

Welllll, there's budgets and then there's chiselling. Big difference.

and even the big boys (as per the shrek example) will cut corners when they can. That's not a bad thing,

Here's where we really differ. With some, it's "whenever, wherever and however they can get away with" and that is not a good thing. I'll never cut them any slack on that. Good Business is one thing. Usurious treatment is another, and there's far too much of the latter in recent years.

any work of "true art" is never finished.

As we have long said in the art world: "Art is never finished, merely abandoned."

Sekhar
01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Bought the rigging/animation combo. How long does it usually take to get the download links? The free stuff on YouTube was fantastic, and I can't wait to get started on the rest of the videos.

VicMackey
01-07-2015, 02:32 PM
The links are set up by RH manually, I got mine well within the 24 hours stated.

Sekhar
01-07-2015, 03:12 PM
The links are set up by RH manually, I got mine well within the 24 hours stated.

Thanks, yes, just got the download details. Can't wait to start watching.

RebelHill
01-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Can't wait to start watching... The free stuff on YouTube was fantastic.

I do hope you'll enjoy the rest just as much and more.

Davewriter
01-07-2015, 07:01 PM
Purchased last night and got the links VERY quickly.
What I've watched so far is exactly what I wanted/expected from RH, great and very usable information.
Now all I've got to do is start a learning!
Can't say it enough - THANKS!

hrgiger
01-07-2015, 07:24 PM
I don't know if it's my location or what but I'm getting seriously slow connection speeds for the downloads. I have 2 files right now running between 30 and 50 KB/sec and these are not small files. I've been trying to download these since yesterday and I'm still only about half done.

allabulle
01-07-2015, 08:41 PM
It was a pretty fast download here.

GoatDude
01-07-2015, 08:50 PM
Just purchased bundle. Hope I can finally learn to animate a quadruped

chikega
01-10-2015, 09:00 AM
Just purchased as well. :)

Kryslin
01-21-2015, 09:49 AM
purchased bundle, however, your server is being mean to me. the user / password isn't being taken. Getting a 401 Authorization required error.

egearbox
01-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Do these tutorials dip into working with Genoma?

RebelHill
01-21-2015, 11:46 AM
If you mean using genoma to build rigs, no... that's in the rigging series.

Otherwise...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TodIEAZPao

annatronci
12-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Just bought..Animation starter..soon I'll upgrade to Pro...