PDA

View Full Version : Parenter feelings...

Dan Ritchie
01-02-2015, 12:16 PM
The Parenter plugin seems to slipped into 2015 very quietly, but after taking it for a test spin, it seems exactly like what LW's been needed for 15 something years. Any feelings and observations?

Let's see, Rico jumps off cliff, onto back of Tanker bug, pulls grenade out of belt, tosses it into bugs mouth...

Ryan Roye
01-02-2015, 01:07 PM
The only downside with Parenter is that it isn't interpolatable and lacks bulk-editing capability. Aside from that, I agree a lot of tools in Lightwave layout need the kind of attention that was given to parenter as it presents the possibility for a more visual animation workflow.

ncr100
01-02-2015, 03:57 PM
I'm curious Ryan - what could bulk dynamic reparenting look like? I just don't have an idea, ... that kind of curious.

I.e. would multiple Items' Parenter GUI controls be selectable and moveable to a new single parent Item? or would the dynamic parenting be integrated into the legacy set-parent

I attached a scene ( 126379 ) employing BOTH stock, and dynamic parenting to explore the concept. Stock parenting seems not to be keyframeable...though while building the scene I did manage to accidentally insert some position and rotation keys just by setting the stock parent. Very strange. Dynamic Parenter seems more well behaved though I'm unsure what's going on with my scene - I set a start & end X-Position keyframe for the cube, but get continuous motion ONLY for the first period when the stock parenter is in effect, before the dynamic parenter starts to kick in. After the new dynamic parenter kicks in I get discontinuous motion, jumping the cube to the end of each segment of the keyed motion. Funny business.

Anyhow, looking for an idea on what the GUI could look like to sweeten my imagination!

TIA,
N

Ryan Roye
01-02-2015, 04:56 PM
I'm curious Ryan - what could bulk dynamic reparenting look like? I just don't have an idea, ... that kind of curious.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5xwP_Qszg&feature=youtu.be

ncr100
01-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Wow. Glorious. I see now, thank you for making the video!!

=OT=
Yeah so like there're no one-button to do:

1 For each selected object
1.1 If the object does not have one or more Dynamic Parenter plugins added added
1.1.1 Add Dynamic Parenter plugin
2 Wait for mouse-click on any unselected object ...
2.1 For each previously selected object
2.1.1 Associate parent via Dynamic Parenter plugin to newly selected object

I'm guessing the LW Way would be to have another plugin, ala the FiberFx panel, which supplements the panel for the one object / motion options scenario, but instead can apply to multiple objects.

Gawd I think the LW3DG team has its work cut out for it, renovating the LW architecture to fix those sorts of workflow problems at a fundamental level. To keep plugin overload / clutter from happening - supporting a single panel / plugin operating in both the per-object and multiple-object scenarios.

Ryan Roye
01-02-2015, 06:25 PM
Gawd I think the LW3DG team has its work cut out for it, renovating the LW architecture to fix those sorts of workflow problems at a fundamental level. To keep plugin overload / clutter from happening - supporting a single panel / plugin operating in both the per-object and multiple-object scenarios.

There's limitations and workarounds in the mix for sure. If it were me in the LW devs shoes, I'd use the parenter panel, making it so that any parenter window can perform bulk actions, then allowing the gizmo to change depending on the number of items selected to facilitate multi-selections. As for enabling interpolation to be used in conjunction with the onscreen widget, not totally sure the difficulty factor there code-wise and a large part of parenter I'm willing to bet would need a re-write to allow for it. My method shown in the video has a disadvantage when it comes to parenting one item to many different items (example: swinging from vine to vine)... i've mitigated this with auto-baking and auto-interpolation functions, but it is still a bit less click-efficient than the gizmo-method that parenter uses.

RebelHill
01-02-2015, 06:49 PM
[pseudocode] Yeah so like there're no one-button to do:

1 For each selected object
1.1 If the object does not have one or more Dynamic Parenter plugins added added
1.1.1 Add Dynamic Parenter plugin
2 Wait for mouse-click on any unselected object ...
2.1 For each previously selected object
2.1.1 Associate parent via Dynamic Parenter plugin to newly selected object

You can use the make constraint tool on my rigging toolbox to do this for multiple items at once and on a per channel basis if desired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6OL7oBg-ug&list=PLTds3QePYrWGUd7fMuNAivIsORvpnKDqX&index=41

Spaceboy64
03-03-2015, 03:34 AM
I thought I could copy my whole set-up with Clone Hierarchy. NOPE! Parenter doesn't create a hierarchy. Any ideas?

Airwaves
03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
I was using the dynamic parenter and I really liked playing with it in the tutorial scene but when trying it in some other stuff I find that once I apply the Parenter the size of the object goes bigger? I am not very advanced on Lightwave but can anyone tell me if I did something wrong?

Here is one frame before parenter being applied 127620

Here is the frame when applied 127621

Greenlaw
03-26-2015, 06:02 PM
Just a guess but has the mechanical arm been scaled up in Layout? If so, the '2' may be inheriting the increased scale from the arm.

G.

Edit: I just tried a quick test here and that's exactly what happens.

Airwaves
03-26-2015, 08:03 PM
Just a guess but has the mechanical arm been scaled up in Layout? If so, the '2' may be inheriting the increased scale from the arm.

G.

Edit: I just tried a quick test here and that's exactly what happens.

I did scale up the entire arm to start with. I also put this in another thread and they explained there is a setting to stop the sizing from going funny. You go under properties then edit and it is there. I now have it working but it fooled for me quite some time there. Thanks