PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft retires original Kinect for Windows sensor

Ernest
12-31-2014, 09:14 AM
http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/12/31/microsoft.retires.original.kinect.for.windows.sens or/

Microsoft is planning to phase out sales of the original Kinect for Windows sensor in 2015. In a blog post spotted by Slashgear

Read more: http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/12/31/microsoft.retires.original.kinect.for.windows.sens or/#ixzz3NUbjINkC

It was bound to happen.

cresshead
12-31-2014, 10:30 AM
so..there's a bit of incentive to update nevronmotion to use the new kinect HD now.

Greenlaw
01-02-2015, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I saw this coming a few weeks ago. I use three original Kinect for Windows sensors with iPi Mocap Studio. One of the sensors died at around Thanksgiving time and it took me a while to find a replacement device at a reasonable price. I think I may purchase a backup Kinect for Windows while I still can. (Kinect for XBox is still easier to find but the Windows version has superior RGB controls.)

FYI, Mocap Studio 3 supports Kinect 2 for Windows now but for some reason Microsoft has fixed it so that only one Kinect 2 can be used per computer. The latest release of Mocap Studio works around this limitation by allowing you to distribute recording across multiple computers though. (Synced by wifi I believe. We'll be testing distributed recording in our studio soon.)

G.

DarkLane
01-21-2015, 03:35 AM
Would still like to see Lightwave group support OpenNI in NevronMotion. I fear Im whistling into the wind on that one though

lightscape
01-21-2015, 04:05 AM
I saw this a mile away. Posted this a while back and the microsoft guy here at newtek said otherwise.
So they made it official on Dec 31 when everybody is busy with holidays and won't be too noticeable.

Dennik
01-31-2015, 09:08 PM
so..there's a bit of incentive to update nevronmotion to use the new kinect HD now.

I've been asking about that update for a year now. Its the only reason I haven't bought nevronmotion yet.