PDA

View Full Version : Nodal Bend concept :D

probiner
12-31-2014, 05:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u6AkUfC7Ds

raw-m
12-31-2014, 08:16 AM
Bloody brilliant! I especially love the bit at 53secs that moves the box through the displacement.

Any plans to release this?

COBRASoft
12-31-2014, 08:16 AM
This looks like fun!

lertola2
12-31-2014, 09:00 AM
Wow. I would love to see how you did that.

Dan Ritchie
12-31-2014, 01:26 PM
That looks pretty awesome.

djwaterman
12-31-2014, 03:01 PM
Probiner, please do some kind of tutorial for that, or give us some sort of clue.

ernpchan
12-31-2014, 03:12 PM
Probiner, please do some kind of tutorial for that, or give us some sort of clue.

Yes! More telling and less teasing!

Pensart
12-31-2014, 03:36 PM
Very nice!

probiner
01-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Well, until I release some thing all I can do is tease with the fun I'm having after the pain. I would like to make a tutorial. And actually it was on one of raw-m's thread I've started to think about it and gathering some pieces since them. It's just I'm not sure about the structure and the delivry, because to me it's more interesting (though more painful) to talk about the building blocks, the technical aspects and pass on something that would allow other people do other things than a bend. I'm not so interested in making a tutorial on how to do a bend... Maybe I should... Probably easier...
But having an example like this bend is sure a nice way to talk about building blocks and relate to a practical application.

My goal would be to do a more boring and general tutorial about custom deformations and rigging through the node editor, by start talking about the data, operations and algorithms to extract things we want, while I would also provide a small library of compounds and some example scenes.
I don't think it would be for many people, Especially the first block that would be very theoretical, but I think it would be really empowering for some few guys.
Basically I was thinking about lecturing my former self, before going to XSI ICE, about on how the data is like and how to manipulate it and have a good thought process so I didn't have to quit whatever I was trying to do. Still have to quit today some times, but more because that some things are simply not possible in LW as they were in ICE.

Cheers

01-01-2015, 03:14 PM
Please do this.
The academians out here are probably craving such info on this stuff in LW.
One can read a maya tute, apply the steps but still not have understanding.
c4d and her nodal ways also seems so foreign and far away for us.
You seem to be showing otherwise. Of sorts.

I welcome your more technical tutes. Please, this is convoluted, don't not do it because not many would get use of it. This is a fallacy as teacher-likes will get the gist and pass it on; thus many get the use of it.

I'm intrigued.
All native or with dpont?

adk
01-01-2015, 09:07 PM
I'd be very keen to see what you cook up probiner. Anything that shows new nodal techniques is most welcome and appreciated here. I'm sure quite a few here will be interested too. The teaser looks fantastic btw! Kudos.

probiner
01-02-2015, 02:09 AM
Please do this.
The academians out here are probably craving such info on this stuff in LW.
One can read a maya tute, apply the steps but still not have understanding.
c4d and her nodal ways also seems so foreign and far away for us.
You seem to be showing otherwise. Of sorts.

I welcome your more technical tutes. Please, this is convoluted, don't not do it because not many would get use of it. This is a fallacy as teacher-likes will get the gist and pass it on; thus many get the use of it.

I'm intrigued.
All native or with dpont?

Cheers. I'm not an academian myself in these matters, but my goal certainly is to use LW to talk about subjects that can be applied anywhere, not just in LW, so of course I would try to relate to more universal things and not just to how LW works, which is not that "rational" many times in a sense that it's up to you to fill a lot of blanks and not something the application was designed to.
Without third parties this would be impossible...

I'd be very keen to see what you cook up probiner. Anything that shows new nodal techniques is most welcome and appreciated here. I'm sure quite a few here will be interested too. The teaser looks fantastic btw! Kudos.

Thanks. The only issue I see is that the system in LW itself has a lot of crippling factors. I'm just weary about "evangelizing" about something, that I myself think it has performance and scalability issues. I basically did this as a challenge and there will always be some pain involved and irrational stuff. I wouldn't like to give the idea that it is without disruptions. So it's like. There's stuff you can do, but it's not a cushion road :D Also not trying to sell myself as "I did something really hard, clap clap", no, it's that those same issues double the efforts in explaining and grasping, that both would be otherwise easier.

Cheers

01-02-2015, 06:03 AM
Great caveat emptor. I think,though, that that is more pointed at the devs. Well, us, too, of course, but Pooby said a lot of what you are saying about some things that could almost be done in LW, but...
His was at the devs as he saw the potential.

Ok. DPont's tools are most capable, and indeed, makes things in LW possible. Haha, like hope!
Academian=professional, daily sharer of knowledge. You could easily fit into that category. In this new age, many more get to 'teach' than ever in history. Don't sell yourself short, I'd say.

'Preciate the conversation. Indeed, a fun example from which many blanks could be filled. Invented and filled again.

probiner
01-02-2015, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback. It was mainly pointed at you guys though as a disclaimer note, as if you buy something you expect it to work in a broad range of situations and not just below the simplicity line of a demo. Therefore I think the knowledge and the process might be more valuable in the long run than a simple tool or sets of tools, for those with curiosity and time.

I think I'm done with this 5th iteration and ready to compound it and move on :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO0hpIUL70Y

erikals
01-02-2015, 08:44 AM
Looks Great!... http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

khan973
01-02-2015, 09:58 PM
pne day I wanted to do something and couldn't find any bending tool in nodal, even in DP Kit.
I'm very interested!

probiner
01-06-2015, 11:21 PM
It's a balancing act between good foundations, interesting examples, and realistic application. Could be easier, specially for a commercial thing.
Thanks for the feedback. Cheers.