PDA

View Full Version : PBR Materials in 3D-Coat

Philbert
12-30-2014, 01:25 PM
The new 3DC beta, version 4.5, has included the new PBR render engine and new materials. I made a little video showing off some of the materials that come built in.

The download is in the forum.
http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17076

http://youtu.be/FXHAA8Q6wBg

12-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Hey Philbert,
Great to see.
Any tips on getting the applink to work on a custom setup, i.e., not "c:/..." centric? Either with python or not.
Most appreciated.

Philbert
12-30-2014, 01:29 PM
Hey Philbert,
Great to see.
Any tips on getting the applink to work on a custom setup, i.e., not "c:/..." centric? Either with python or not.
Most appreciated.

Sorry, I haven't really used the AppLink, I just save it out, then load it in LW. There's whole section on the forum for it though.

12-30-2014, 01:41 PM
Yeah, the LW section is moribund on this subject: the coder has been on a hiatus (python version).

I'll go that route. Thanks.

CaptainMarlowe
12-31-2014, 12:11 AM
Pretty neat addition ! I'll download it as soon as I'm back home. It'll be interesting to compare with Substance suite, but it seems quite straightforward already.

Philbert
12-31-2014, 12:15 AM
I haven't actually used substance designer (or painter) so I'm not quite sure how it works. I think I understand that this is a little different, though the end result seems pretty similar. I also have not tried making a new material yet. Also this is of course just the very first beta version of this function. I actually saw a new beta update after I posted the video. It looks like you can now just right click on a surface instead of needing the paint bucket, though I may be wrong I'll have to check it out.

safetyman
12-31-2014, 05:34 AM
Dumb Question: When you export the model for rendering/animation in LW, does it package all the materials in one place (i.e. is it easy to get that looking like it's supposed to in another program)?

3DGFXStudios
12-31-2014, 07:15 AM
How does it transfer to LW? Does it look similar when you render it or does it look totally different?

Philbert
12-31-2014, 10:42 AM
All of the exported textures save out int he same folder as the model. I haven't actually tried exporting and loading Materials to LW but It should be all pretty straight forward, color, goes in the color slot, normal goes in the Normal Map node, etc. If you're using a game engine or something that supports Metalness you can export that instead of Specular Color or you can choose to swap Glossiness/Spec. Color for Roughness/Metalness.

Amurrell
01-01-2015, 01:06 AM
How does it transfer to LW? Does it look similar when you render it or does it look totally different?

It looks pretty spot on, but you will have to go to the image editor and change the normal map to linear color space. I would also suggest doing the same with the spec and bump if you make those as well. This will capture the subtleties in the maps.

Mind you I am not talking about the PBR version of 3D Coat. I haven't tried it yet.

Philbert
01-01-2015, 02:02 AM
I forgot to mention, at least with the standard color, normal, and spec, 3D-Coat automatically places these images in the right spots for you when you save out an LWO so there's no need to set those up in the Surface Editor.

meshpig
01-01-2015, 02:14 AM
LW will only be a recipient... the point of PBM's are the combinations without modifying textures?

lightscape
01-01-2015, 04:48 AM
Won't look the same without shader in modeller. In layout some node fiddling can do it. Since we don't have unified app like others, both layout and modeller should support it with a shader.

I requested support for pbr a while back.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144061-PBR-viewport-3dcoat&highlight=

CaptainMarlowe
01-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Ha, not yet available for Mac... I'll have to wait a bit...
I 'm not really interested in PBR shaders, since they're made for real time rendering and I render almost everything "offline" in LW renderer. But I'm really interested in "smart textures", which could get a result similar to what I can achieve in substance suite but directly in 3D-Coat (which mean, potentially even with 8K textures which I can't get in substance suite).

CaptainMarlowe
01-02-2015, 12:19 PM
Won't look the same without shader in modeller. In layout some node fiddling can do it. Since we don't have unified app like others, both layout and modeller should support it with a shader.

I requested support for pbr a while back.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144061-PBR-viewport-3dcoat&highlight=

Did you do submit this feature request only through this thread ? If yes, then it's as if you didn't submit anything, no ? Or did you fog your request ?

Philbert
01-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Ha, not yet available for Mac... I'll have to wait a bit...

This is the main reason I avoid macs. Luckily in this case I think mac users don't have to wait too long before their update comes out. Usually 3DC updates mac pretty soon, then linux not long after that.

CaptainMarlowe
01-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Just because of final cut pro and motion I wouldn't use any other computer than my mac, but that's another topic. ;)