PDA

View Full Version : Simple Web design S/W for Mac

pinkmouse
12-29-2014, 05:14 AM
So, I'm getting my LW portfolio sorted, I've bought a domain and hosting, and I want to start getting a website together.

Now, I know little of HTML or any other coding stuff, so I'd like recommendations for a nice simple designer to get started. I don't need much, homepage, gallery, maybe a blog, link to showreel when it's ready.

I have a old copy of Dreamweaver, but it's far too complicated and has too steep a learning curve, downloaded Rapidweaver, but was put off by the fact you have to pay to watch the "getting started" videos, and frankly, I'm not sure where I should be looking next.

Do I go for one of the online designers, or should I be looking at CMS style stuff like Wordpress? I'm completely out of my depth with this lark, so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

OnlineRender
12-29-2014, 05:35 AM
So, I'm getting my LW portfolio sorted, I've bought a domain and hosting, and I want to start getting a website together.

Now, I know little of HTML or any other coding stuff, so I'd like recommendations for a nice simple designer to get started. I don't need much, homepage, gallery, maybe a blog, link to showreel when it's ready.

I have a old copy of Dreamweaver, but it's far too complicated and has too steep a learning curve, downloaded Rapidweaver, but was put off by the fact you have to pay to watch the "getting started" videos, and frankly, I'm not sure where I should be looking next.

Do I go for one of the online designers, or should I be looking at CMS style stuff like Wordpress? I'm completely out of my depth with this lark, so any hints would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

I believe Chilton Webb wrote Landscape for the Mac , which acts like a drag and drop builder http://conjurebunny.com/landscape/

as for wordpress you could in theory install buy a commercial theme and have it up and running in a day .

pinkmouse
12-29-2014, 06:34 AM
Landscape is great, just downloaded and had a quick play, I like the fluid interface and the general feel. Does seem to be lacking in features to link pages together to form a site and publish stuff to the server though, so I'm not sure it's entirely what I'm looking for.

tcoursey
12-29-2014, 07:13 AM
If you could get around in Dreamweaver to EDIT pages (replace images and links) you could go a TEMPLATE route... http://themeforest.net/ Is only one site, there are many others...

If you want less control but want your hand held a bit (no disrespect) then a CMS style template would be a great option too. A CMS will allow edits but keep the site together as a design allowing only things it wants/has been designed to allow to be edited.

If you get around a bit both could be up and running in a day or so. Another option would be http://www.squarespace.com/templates/ I hear (have not used) it's kind of the best of both worlds. Start with a template but allowed through their online editor to edit down to the CSS and HTML raw code...

Good luck, it can be rewarding to create!

pinkmouse
12-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Yup, I need lots of handholding! :D

CaptainMarlowe
12-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Did you try Everweb, which is a powerful successor to iWeb ?

pinkmouse
12-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Ta, I'll have a look at it tomorrow.