PDA

View Full Version : How do you set up Foam in H.O.T. Ocean Toolkit

regenerator
12-26-2014, 06:24 AM
Hello all,

I read the documentation for the great plug-in (H.O.T. Ocean Toolkit) on how to set up Foam. For the life of me I can't seem to set it up. Here's the manual:

"Foam: This outputs produces a map on the X,Y,Z components of the vector that indicates where the peaks of the waves are folding. It will appear when Use Choppiness and Jacobian are turned ON. Note: To make this output to work correctly, you need to use Choppiness. For example to use it on the Surface Editor, you need two copies of the node, one WITHOUT Choppiness to generate the normals, and another one WITH Choppiness it to generate the Foam."

I then connected them to some Math Vector Nodes then connected them to the Dielectric and Surface node inputs and nothing happened. Watch it be something so simple and I will feel like the moron.

I've attached screencaps of the 2 different HOT nodes used in Surface Editor and a quick render of a bulk carrier on a voyage.

BTW once I get this whole Foam thing figured out I do have a pretty cool set up for Oceans. I'll load up the Objects and Scene files for you all to have.

XswampyX
12-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Create 2 different material nodes in your ocean surface and use the foam output into a material switch node. One material is your ocean and the other your foam. You could also use the Hot ocean node as a driver for some instanced bubbles, I'm trying that now! :D

Here you go :-

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126283&d=1419604554

regenerator
12-26-2014, 08:59 AM
That's it, thanks XswampyX! Material Swicth Node never even crossed my mind. I did try Material Mixer. Would you mind posting a screencap of the Nodes setup? Just set it up and I see foam! Again thanks for the reply!

XswampyX
12-26-2014, 09:07 AM
Here you go...

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126285&d=1419609969

regenerator
12-26-2014, 09:14 AM
Excellent. I like asking for node setups because there's so many ways to achieve a look. Nice touch with the Gradient near the foam looks much better that way. Did you have Gradient set on Y Coordinate?

XswampyX
12-26-2014, 09:21 AM
It's set to incidence and gives a nice green tint to the ripples, almost like the light is refracting through the wave. It's cheap and dirty, but what the hell, it looks good. :D

regenerator
12-26-2014, 09:25 AM
LOL! I like it. "cheap and dirty" is underrated. Thanks again, buddy. Have a happy New Year.

XswampyX
12-26-2014, 09:41 AM
LOL! I like it. "cheap and dirty" is underrated. Thanks again, buddy. Have a happy New Year.

Not by me! :D

Have a good one!

prometheus
12-26-2014, 06:47 PM
when was the last update of hot ocean?

havenīt tried it that much...since I felt it was kind of slow compared to standard displacements.

XswampyX
12-26-2014, 06:59 PM
March!

.... 2010 :(

regenerator
12-28-2014, 01:46 PM
when was the last update of hot ocean?

havenīt tried it that much...since I felt it was kind of slow compared to standard displacements.

The only time it drags for me and their documentation warns of such is when the resolution on the node is set to 10 or higher. The water displacements are very nice and to avoid the "tiling" pattern make sure the global scale matches the actual size of the geometry then mess around with the wave size. One thing I don't understand is why LightWave doesn't have a Water Material and an Underwater Material or some kind of water/underwater volumetrics.

prometheus
12-28-2014, 01:51 PM
The only time it drags for me and their documentation warns of such is when the resolution on the node is set to 10 or higher. The water displacements are very nice and to avoid the "tiling" pattern make sure the global scale matches the actual size of the geometry then mess around with the wave size. One thing I don't understand is why LightWave doesn't have a Water Material and an Underwater Material or some kind of water/underwater volumetrics.

Lacking water material? do you mean specificly hot ocean materials, that is there in houdini for instance? or do you mean native lightwave surface materials/presets?

regenerator
12-28-2014, 02:31 PM
Lacking water material? do you mean specificly hot ocean materials, that is there in houdini for instance? or do you mean native lightwave surface materials/presets?

Native to LightWave. I do have some presets but most of them aren't that good. I made one with Dielectric and it'll suffice. XswampyX posted a node tree using Standard Materials. I may give that a try as well. Foam, ocean waves, how water changes color at certain depths etc. would be nice to have as a Material. It would be a huge selling point IMHO.

Greenlaw
12-28-2014, 03:46 PM
I don't find it especially slow for displacement but if you need to be able to scrub it, bake it to MDD and then remove it. The displacement is much faster then.

If you're going to render the displacement on a render farm, you need to bake it to MDD anyway.

G.

prometheus
12-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Native to LightWave. I do have some presets but most of them aren't that good. I made one with Dielectric and it'll suffice. XswampyX posted a node tree using Standard Materials. I may give that a try as well. Foam, ocean waves, how water changes color at certain depths etc. would be nice to have as a Material. It would be a huge selling point IMHO.

Yes..there is native water material in the presets, but as you said..they are not that good and frankly not many either.

I wish we had a little like vueīs water surfaces..those are great, and also the type of control where you can set it to be murky or less..and it sort of takes care of the realism next to beaches or land..so the water is clear there and murky further out, you can of course set this up with surface thickness or other methods in lightwave, itīs just that it is sort of much easier to just set it right with vue water materials, in vue ..you do it in a second..it takes a little more fiddling with ligthwave and finding the right settings.

Michael

dickbill
07-17-2017, 06:28 AM
Yes..there is native water material in the presets, but as you said..they are not that good and frankly not many either.

I wish we had a little like vueīs water surfaces..those are great, and also the type of control where you can set it to be murky or less..and it sort of takes care of the realism next to beaches or land..so the water is clear there and murky further out, you can of course set this up with surface thickness or other methods in lightwave, itīs just that it is sort of much easier to just set it right with vue water materials, in vue ..you do it in a second..it takes a little more fiddling with ligthwave and finding the right settings.

Michael

Hi all, it's time to resurrect this thread. The version of The Hot ocean node that I have is lacking the foam, spray and other outputs, just displacement is there. I run on LW11.6. Any idea why ?

ianr
07-17-2017, 08:47 AM
Miss-:jam:post

2 much CorreFFEEeeee

dickbill
07-17-2017, 09:51 AM
Hi ian, I am working a bit on this project again...
I could do the fluid in Blender and move to LW, but since LW was supposed to have the hot ocean plugin, it makes more sense to try it first.

Does anybody know if the 32bit version of the HOTocean4LW has all the output nodes (foam and all) and they are only missing in the 64bits version ?

Thomas Leitner
07-18-2017, 01:28 AM
Hi all, it's time to resurrect this thread. The version of The Hot ocean node that I have is lacking the foam, spray and other outputs, just displacement is there. I run on LW11.6. Any idea why ?

Hi,
you need to check "Jacobian" to get all extra outputs.
ciao
Thomas

dickbill
07-18-2017, 07:14 AM
The Jacobian option doesn't exist

Thomas Leitner
07-18-2017, 07:29 AM
The Jacobian option doesn't exist

Strange...
....should look like this.
ciao
Thomas

Greenlaw
07-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Which version of the plugin do you have? The one I've been using for a few years is 1.0 beta which includes both x64 and x32 versions. This one has the Jacobian option, at least in x64. (Never used the x32 version.)

I used it mostly in LW 11.6, so it should work.

dickbill
07-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Ok I got it, thanks all.