PDA

View Full Version : Emitting particles on a warbling surface

mummyman
12-23-2014, 06:32 PM
Hi there. I'm stumped, or just overtired. I have a sphereish shape, warbling with a displacement procedural. I'm trying to emit particles from that sphere's points but just keep them locked to the displacing motion. I know that's just basically it's own points, but I have an effect I'm doing using particles and other FX with it. Any help? Or something I'm missing? I tried calculating using MDD's too. No luck. This seems like it's too easy for LW not to do.

Brett

Sensei
12-23-2014, 07:28 PM
You need to hit Calculate.

mummyman
12-23-2014, 07:29 PM
You need to hit Calculate.

I did that too, but didn't help.

They emit like they should, but I need them to "stick" to the moving, warbling object the whole time. They just float off, or stay put depending on what "Generate by" is set to. Basically, like having an object made of just points warbling around, but have to have them as particles / emit so I can kill them off and spawn other particles while it's moving / warbling and not static.

Sensei
12-23-2014, 07:33 PM

For me Calculate worked.
But I used nodes for deformations. And Nozzle Object-Surface.
Attach scene to play with.

prometheus
12-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Hi there. I'm stumped, or just overtired. I have a sphereish shape, warbling with a displacement procedural. I'm trying to emit particles from that sphere's points but just keep them locked to the displacing motion. I know that's just basically it's own points, but I have an effect I'm doing using particles and other FX with it. Any help? Or something I'm missing? I tried calculating using MDD's too. No luck. This seems like it's too easy for LW not to do.

Brett

what lw version, it works here, try the basics without any other fx interaction..start from scratch, add a sphere, add ripple displacement, and ..of course, calculate the pfx, why are you calculating using mdd?

are the particles flying away from the sphere..is that what you say, and you want them to stay fixed to each point?

or is the particles not following the objects vertices?

mummyman
12-23-2014, 07:40 PM
what lw version, it works here, try the basics without any other fx interaction..start from scratch, add a sphere, add ripple displacement, and ..of course, calculate the pfx, why are you calculating using mdd?

are the particles flying away from the sphere..is that what you say, and you want them to stay fixed to each point?

or is the particles not following the objects vertices?

They need to be fixed to each point.

mummyman
12-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Sure they can emit from a displacing, warbling object, but I need them to emit, then stay locked to that warbling surface over the course of x amount of frames.

prometheus
12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
They need to be fixed to each point.

Uhmm..yeah, canīt recall if I ever got that working, can you not use instanced geometry, Im sure that will follow the points better, it could be a simple box, tiny sphere, and then you could try adding particles on those instances.

if you only need hypervoxel effect on each point, you donīt need to apply a particle fx emitter, you can add hypervoxels directly on those vertices..but I reckon you are aware of that.

doing some tests now..but I need to get to bed soon, christmas eve and all that tomorrow, if I get an idea or tip, I will get back to you.

Initial scan with clothfx didnīt work, though it could be set to local playback..but not working here either.

Michael

Sensei
12-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Set Birth Rate to vertex count.
Life time to 1 frame.
Nozzle Object-Vertices.

prometheus
12-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Set Birth Rate to vertex count.
Life time to 1 frame.
Nozzle Object-Vertices.

that only works for one frame as I can see?

Sensei
12-23-2014, 07:55 PM
After emitting particle it's starting life on its own, positions are changing according to forces etc.
So we need to make new particles with new positions.

It shouldn't be a problem to surface them the same way. Just particle ID modulo quantity = same id even if it's not same particle (next frame).

prometheus
12-23-2014, 07:59 PM
After emitting particle it's starting life on its own, positions are changing according to forces etc.
So we need to make new particles with new positions.

It shouldn't be a problem to surface them the same way. Just particle ID modulo quantity = same id even if it's not same particle (next frame).

donīt see that working...if you have a lifetime to 1 frame, the particles are gone in the following frames, so ..I am missing something here?

mummyman
12-23-2014, 08:02 PM
Thanks for trying. Don't waste anymore time. It'd be a really nice touch. Hvs work of course. But I can't kill them off with an event the way emitters do. It works static but would bring it to the next level having the object moving first then dying and spawning ponies. Lol. Ponies? Points. Dumb smartphone. Happy holidays!

Sensei
12-23-2014, 08:06 PM
donīt see that working...if you have a lifetime to 1 frame, the particles are gone in the following frames, so ..I am missing something here?

You have 1000 points mesh.
1st frame will generate 1000 particles laying on these points.
2nd frame will generate another 1000 particles laying on new positions of these points.
etc. etc.
as many frames you have.

I checked it prior writing message.

prometheus
12-23-2014, 08:09 PM
Thanks for trying. Don't waste anymore time. It'd be a really nice touch. Hvs work of course. But I can't kill them off with an event the way emitters do. It works static but would bring it to the next level having the object moving first then dying and spawning ponies. Lol. Ponies? Points. Dumb smartphone. Happy holidays!

exactly I know what you mean, itīs odd..I thought I had gone through this course before..or maybe I simply havenīt had a need for it.

maybe some of these might help...
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/MDD_Pointer.html

- - - Updated - - -

You have 1000 points mesh.
1st frame will generate 1000 particles laying on these points.
2nd frame will generate another 1000 particles laying on new positions of these points.
etc. etc.
as many frames you have.

I checked it prior writing message.

You are welcome to post a simple scenefile, I donīt see this working otherwise, and I donīt follow those instructions very well..maybe itīs sleepy time now.

Sensei
12-23-2014, 08:12 PM
You are welcome to post a simple scenefile, I donīt see this working otherwise, and I donīt follow those instructions very well..maybe itīs sleepy time now.

I will make video tutorial.

Deformations from Ripples node on ground object:
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126251&d=1419390833

mummyman
12-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Thanks guys! I'll jump back on it tomorrow. Sensei. It sounds like I've tried that. But will look at it again. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

If you have time! But don't sweat it. Thank you again

mummyman
12-23-2014, 08:20 PM
And animating the ripples keeps the points? ****. Maybe it's my older lw version of vpr? I'm not at my machine to mess with it at the moment. In particular. I was using flow noise procedural to animate the surface turbulence

Sensei
12-23-2014, 08:26 PM
And animating the ripples keeps the points?

Yes, of course.
See other frame.
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126252&d=1419391407

Maybe it's my older lw version of vpr?

I don't think so it has anything to do with LW version.
Probably any >=9 will work.

- - - Updated - - -

In particular. I was using flow noise procedural to animate the surface turbulence

Well, I have used nodes, not traditional texturing..

prometheus
12-23-2014, 08:57 PM
typical, the very second you posted something, I got it working sort of, the thing was I still had mdd active, and I think that interfered.
but the particles dies out at a certain frame if you donīt have enough particles in the particle limit, that might have been whatīs wrong, so that tab needs a lot of particles....I think.

Thanks sensei..

the proper setup is
birth rate..the same as vertices/points on your object
generate by frame
nozzle object-vertices
life time 1
particle limit...set it very high.
Calculate the particles.

Michael

prometheus
12-23-2014, 09:07 PM
as i understand it, it creates new particle sets for every frame, so it is not like the first emitted particle stays there, it is given birth per first frame, and dies directly the next frame, and then a new particle is given birth at that frame etc?
think that can be problematic in some situations...and you seem to need a whole lot of particles if you have longer frames.

Edit...I canīt see the voxels working with the particles, so what I said above ..might be the issue? probably have to save out the pfx first

.oops...newbie mistake, had way to low particle size...its all fin, I got to go to sleep now.

Sensei
12-23-2014, 10:17 PM
I made video tutorial, so you can repeat it by yourself
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145008-TrueArt-LightWave-3D-Particle-Effects-1-Full-HD-video-tutorial&p=1415552

mummyman
12-24-2014, 06:22 AM
I made video tutorial, so you can repeat it by yourself
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145008-TrueArt-LightWave-3D-Particle-Effects-1-Full-HD-video-tutorial&p=1415552

Well I'll be damned...it's working! I couldn't get event / death / child emission on parent's death working...but I'll try using an MDD to see if that works. Thanks for the help! Sensei for a reason!

The effect does yield a huge amount of particles.. almost too many for the effect I'm trying. I might have to settle with my original, but this is a great tip to know! Thanks again for helping fella's....

Chrusion
12-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Mummy...

You can do it with native PFX in the normal way. Here's how...

1. Set up object-vertices emitter as normal... desired # of particles, desired lifetime, desired size, etc. BUT, set Etc. > Parent Motion to 0%.
2. Add Collision to same object... Type = Obj. Adv., Mode = Stick, Rad. = 0, Bounce/Bind = 400 or more, Fix Pwr = 100 or more.
3. Add Gravity to scene... Type = Point, Power = -100%, xyz vectors = 1,1,1, but might not need all three (play around).

Do you see what's going to happen? :-)

The particles will emit from obj. verts. with no motion, while -100% Point Gravity will pull them in to center of obj., but they will collide with the same obj. that just emitted them and stick to the surface.

The particles will probably slide around a bit, so tweak collision stick bind and fix power to minimize.

Attached scene uses a Null to which the Modeler Command Unit Ball is applied, so simply create and save that object FIRST before loading scene (it's not attached here).