PDA

View Full Version : Polygons have a concave appearance

Columbo24
12-22-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm doing a dinosaur modeling tutorial. I created the head and getting ready to do the neck. Problem is I'm supposed to round the geometry and my model becomes distorted. I'm selecting the back 9 polygons in sub-patch of the head. I'm supposed to use the stretch tool to bring the ploys in and use the drag tool to make a more circular mesh to extrude the neck from. You can see by the pics when he selects the 9 ploys his selected mesh is rounded, my polys seem to be concave with sharper edges so when I use the stretch tool it's altering the other geometry. Can anybody tell me what's going on?
Thanks
Bill

meshpig
12-22-2014, 11:25 PM
A sub-divided surface or a "subpatch" is like a sheet of plastic stretched over a wooden frame. The frame being the coordinates of the vertices and the "surface" is the plastic sheet calculated like Riemann surfaces... in Modeler, switching between subd's and faces works both ways. If you want a model without subd's it's handy to work from them and likewise the other way around, faces/polygons are the underlying frame if you're modelling subd's. Like "tab" the mesh and if the faces are way too distorted and non-planar add a few edges here and there.

Dexter2999
12-22-2014, 11:28 PM
See in your side view how the points don't align to four rows but rather are at eight?
This is where those peaks are coming from. Try selecting those top points in the side view and dragging them down and watch what happens in your perspective view.

Hope this helps.