PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice building a render farm for Lightwave 2015

wtdedula
12-22-2014, 02:54 PM
Hello All;
Does anyone know a good source of reliable information on the internet for building a render farm ? I am currently only a Lightwave Hobbyist but I have a 19" rack in my computer room from my Video Toaster days and would like to utilize it for this project.

Right now, I am interested in learning about what hardware I should use. Surfing the net, it appears Xeon is the way to go. I would like to utilize 1U or 2U rackmount enclosures from gtweb.net.

Does anyone out there have sample systems configured (Preferably Rack Mounted) so I can see some sample hardware configurations ? Boxx is the only one I'm aware of though they don't give prices for rackmount units - anyone else ?

Tim Dedula

adhesiveX
12-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Nice thread topic. I have a lot of questions too about this subject. First... I'm almost there building my own render farm hardware wise. I just want to know what's the bare bones minimum Lightwave software that is needed installed on each node.
Any helpful information on this would be greatly appreciated.

3D Kiwi
12-22-2014, 03:25 PM
We have 20 pcs here rendering with Softimage and Lightwave, also after effects and blender using Deadline as our controller.

All nodes are bare bones pcs, No gpu except for onboard, same as network, audio etc. So basicly they are just a box with a motherboard, cpu and ram. Some of the hdd are only 80gig in size.

All you need to spend money on is a fast cpu and enough ram to hold your scenes, everything else can be on the motherboard.

You will need a gpu if you are using a gpu renderer like cycles.

The only software installed on the nodes are windows 7, Deadline , Softimage, after effects. Both blender and Lightwave run from the server so arnt installed on the nodes.

Also just installed Amleto on all nodes the other day to try it out and it worked great. Only problem is it dosn't support other software apart from lightwave.