PDA

View Full Version : Update 1 for LW 2015 is out.

meatycheesyboy
12-22-2014, 12:55 PM
I just checked my mail and saw it. Change log is here: http://static.lightwave3d.com/downloads/installers/lightwave_2015/lightwave_2015-1_change-log_20141222.txt

Great job getting a bug fix release out so quickly guys.

Skonk
12-22-2014, 01:01 PM
Yeh not bad getting it out so quick.

I'm downloading now... I hope it installs over the top of the previous 2015 release though; really don't want to be having to set everything up every time a minor bug fix version is released.

EDIT:

That would be a no... seperate configs and the lot.

I get why traditionally each version installs as a standalone but when all this is doing is fixing about 10 bugs it creates an aweful lot of work for some people in setting everything up again... installing and registering plugins, settings menus and shortcuts up again etc.

MSherak
12-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Yeh not bad getting it out so quick.

I'm downloading now... I hope it installs over the top of the previous 2015 release though; really don't want to be having to set everything up every time a minor bug fix version is released.

EDIT:

That would be a no... seperate configs and the lot.

I get why traditionally each version installs as a standalone but when all this is doing is fixing about 10 bugs it creates an aweful lot of work for some people in setting everything up again... installing and registering plugins, settings menus and shortcuts up again etc.

You can install it over the first install.. The one thing that you have to move is the contents under C:\Users\<USER NAME>\.NewTek\LightWave\2015 to 2015.1.. Everything then should look the same.

-M

Greenlaw
12-22-2014, 02:09 PM
This one addresses quite a few issues I've run into off and on since 11.6.x, particularly with motion data. Now I can get proper compositing motion blur data for camera, instances, fiberfX, flocking, mdd, pfx, bones...you name it. (Okay, not yet for Hypervoxels or Turbulence but I can deal with that.)

These and other fixes make 2015.1 feel more like a proper 'first' release to me. :)

Congrats and thanks to LW3DG for another great release!

G.

HarverdGrad
12-22-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah, congratulations NewTek. Great Jobs!

brent3d
12-22-2014, 04:25 PM
Wow! LW3DG is on it!! What a happy holiday!

artzgo
12-22-2014, 04:34 PM
Yes, now new LW working fine !!!! THX a lot

Spinland
12-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Well, I'm already now a pro at transferring my LWCAD licenses to new versions! Go me.

I noticed on the download section my account shows the 2015 content as (Update 2). Does anyone know what that might mean? Since the app is now on Update 1 I'm somewhat confused as to whether I ought to download the content again.

ON EDIT: Nevermind, I downloaded it anyway and yes, there are new date stamps on some of the stuff since I first downloaded 2015.

bobakabob
12-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Woah, just upgraded, this is good news indeed :)

brent3d
12-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Well, I'm already now a pro at transferring my LWCAD licenses to new versions! Go me.

I noticed on the download section my account shows the 2015 content as (Update 2). Does anyone know what that might mean? Since the app is now on Update 1 I'm somewhat confused as to whether I ought to download the content again.

ON EDIT: Nevermind, I downloaded it anyway and yes, there are new date stamps on some of the stuff since I first downloaded 2015.

They updated some objects and scenes a couple of days ago.

jwiede
12-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Is the "Cut Tool" fix the only (significant) Modeler issue addressed in the update? Just wondering if anything was done to mitigate the "11.5+ new tool" instabilities present at release?

It wasn't entirely clear from the change notes -- is the reported render "un-hidden obj"/"looks kinda like a Z-order artifact" issue (w/PRMB, lacks a good name) fully resolved or not? There were fixes mentioned, but none seemed to precisely refer to the issue reported in this thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?144555-Realistic-Motion-Blur-Issue-LW-2015), though a few fixed issues DID sound similar (perhaps related?).

Has the issue with CSE causing Layout slowdown over time been directly mitigated/addressed?

Has the issue blocking Nevron from properly installing (on Mac only?) been addressed in this update? Wasn't clear whether stated fix would arrive via LW2015 update or Nevron update.

Last, with the update release, will there be an updated demo/trial release made available? Will trial resets be available so users can try the new update even if their initial trial licenses have expired?

Thanks!

prometheus
12-22-2014, 07:58 PM
I didnīt see a fix on the new texture falloff tool, which crashes when minimizing that window, and also the dragging of item list menu slider often crashes.

nothing of importance for me at this stage though, since I donīt think I will upgrade until some other stuff is attended too.

Michael

brent3d
12-22-2014, 08:12 PM
I didnīt see a fix on the new texture falloff tool, which crashes when minimizing that window, and also the dragging of item list menu slider often crashes.

nothing of importance for me at this stage though, since I donīt think I will upgrade until some other stuff is attended too.

Michael

Lol..then why even comment? 2015 was just released and we are more then happy to get a .1 release two weeks later and on the week of Christmas on top of all that!?!. People complain even when they don't own the current version that they're critiquing..to funny.
Great job LW3DG:thumbsup: Now kick back and have some eggnog.

jwiede
12-22-2014, 08:35 PM
2015 was just released and we are more then happy to get a .1 release two weeks later

LW2015 was released 24 Nov 2014, four weeks ago to the day. Still quite impressive for LW3DG to get a fix release out this quick compared to past, no question -- "T-plus-30" commercial software patches themselves are fairly common these days.

It isn't even that uncommon for commercial software products to already have their first post-release patch already "in flight" at the time the product release occurs. Day-zero patches arriving at same time as release are also becoming quite common, f.e. MAXON has released a day-zero patch with C4D releases for a few years now. It's a coping method for maintaining QC in light of shorter overall product cycles, among other driving forces.

jasonwestmas
12-22-2014, 08:38 PM
This one addresses quite a few issues I've run into off and on since 11.6.x, particularly with motion data. Now I can get proper compositing motion blur data for camera, instances, fiberfX, flocking, mdd, pfx, bones...you name it. (Okay, not yet for Hypervoxels or Turbulence but I can deal with that.)

These and other fixes make 2015.1 feel more like a proper 'first' release to me. :)

Congrats and thanks to LW3DG for another great release!

G.

wow those passes have been broken a long time! I might be able to use LW now for more advanced stuff.

Sekhar
12-22-2014, 08:44 PM
[list=1] Is the "Cut Tool" fix the only (significant) Modeler issue addressed in the update? Just wondering if anything was done to mitigate the "11.5+ new tool" instabilities present at release?
Thanks!

Looks like they didn't list everything they fixed. E.g., ABF UV Unwrap works now, but isn't mentioned.

brent3d
12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
LW2015 was released 24 Nov 2014, four weeks ago to the day. Still quite impressive for LW3DG to get a fix release out this quick compared to past, no question -- "T-plus-30" commercial software patches themselves are fairly common these days.

It isn't even that uncommon for commercial software products to already have their first post-release patch already "in flight" at the time the product release occurs. Day-zero patches arriving at same time as release are also becoming quite common, f.e. MAXON has released a day-zero patch with C4D releases for a few years now. It's a coping method for maintaining QC in light of shorter overall product cycles, among other driving forces.

Ok, glad your up on things now go buy yourself a copy LW 2015.1 and use it, if not you guys don't have much room to gripe.

JamesCurtis
12-22-2014, 11:14 PM
I'm still getting miscellaneous crashing on the FiberFX sample scenes with the new 2015.1 update. I'm using the new Content [Update 2] files for testing. I wish we had a list of the files in the new content release that were fixed. The Lino Genoma 2 files still seem to be missing some objects.

I'm running Vista 64bit here with 16gigs of ram and an Nvidia EVGA GT640 graphics card at the moment.

I read the bugfix list.

prometheus
12-22-2014, 11:53 PM
Lol..then why even comment? 2015 was just released and we are more then happy to get a .1 release two weeks later and on the week of Christmas on top of all that!?!. People complain even when they don't own the current version that they're critiquing..to funny.
Great job LW3DG:thumbsup: Now kick back and have some eggnog.

Brent, I asked a few questions, about the texture fallof, the bullet slider..since I looked at the change list and didnīt see anything about that, I donīt know..donīt think I can download a new fixed trial?

so whatīs your problem with me on that? I wanted to know about those.

How is that a critique? I am stating a fact that I donīt want to upgrade, so please donīt go jump on me for that.
I fail to see the funny things in that.

jeric_synergy
12-23-2014, 12:29 AM
I think stating why one is still holding fire on an upgrade is perfectly reasonable, and since prom has quantified his problems with 2015, restating which things he feels are important is valid.

I've devolved to hobbiest status and have PLENTY of arrows in my back, so until there's a consensus of solidity in the code I'll be holding off too, although my livelihood is no longer LW dependent.

I must say I'm BAFFLED as to why LW3dG would apparently fix things, and even add features, and not inform the public about it. If users have been avoiding a feature they know was broken, and are using work-arounds, it would be REALLY NICE to know that one didn't need the workarounds any more. :confused: :stumped:

And noting, nay, TRUMPETING fixes, even if they're a little embarrassingly low-tech/outmoded/overdue, is better than letting misconceptions continue to color the impression of LW in the marketplace.

lino.grandi
12-23-2014, 02:12 AM
I'm still getting miscellaneous crashing on the FiberFX sample scenes with the new 2015.1 update. I'm using the new Content [Update 2] files for testing. I wish we had a list of the files in the new content release that were fixed. The Lino Genoma 2 files still seem to be missing some objects.

I'm running Vista 64bit here with 16gigs of ram and an Nvidia EVGA GT640 graphics card at the moment.

I read the bugfix list.

I'm testing the new content now. Which files are missing?

All Genoma scenes are loading fine here.

MarcusM
12-23-2014, 02:19 AM
Ok, glad your up on things now go buy yourself a copy LW 2015.1 and use it, if not you guys don't have much room to gripe.

When you buy a car, you want drive on three wheels or four?

lino.grandi
12-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Please, do not make this one the "I'll upgrade/I will not upgrade" thread.

LightWave 2015 has been out for sometime now.

Update 1 solves a lot of issues and crashes, making the LightWave "experience" probably the most pleasant and stable we ever had.

Let's stay positive, pushing in the same direction.

No software is pefect, so please report any bug you may find, so we can fix it in Update 2. ;)

Mastoy
12-23-2014, 03:23 AM
Could somebody tell me if the "Edit edges" tool works now as it used to in 11.6 ?
Do we have the possibility again to right click and drag, to create a new loop and move it immediatly ?
Thx !

lino.grandi
12-23-2014, 03:35 AM
Could somebody tell me if the "Edit edges" tool works now as it used to in 11.6 ?
Do we have the possibility again to right click and drag, to create a new loop and move it immediatly ?
Thx !

Yes it does. That was so annoying! ;)

Nicolas Jordan
12-23-2014, 07:47 AM
I downloaded the new build to test a render bug I submitted. It doesn't crash anymore but most of the scene turns black now when rendering. I'm assuming that this build was pushed out before some bugs were completely fixed in order to get other fixes out to users. It looks like my 2015 trial has finally ended today.

prometheus
12-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Merry christmas Lino, thanks for doing an excellent job in the communication towards us, and giving support and reporting advice and general feedback, your voice has been needed for sure.

Imīnot sure..I think my trial period soon will end, havenīt tried it much lately though, would be nice if there will be a new trial demos,or a new point release within some months... so we can test how well it behaves for a little longer period.

Michael

THIBAULT
12-23-2014, 08:29 AM
I think i've missing something. What happened to "reduct noise" which was convenient to reduce the effects on lighting reflections of the type "car headlight?"

jasonwestmas
12-23-2014, 09:34 AM
I believe reducing noise is mostly done with the adaptive sampling and oversampling features.

lino.grandi
12-23-2014, 09:37 AM
Merry christmas Lino, thanks for doing an excellent job in the communication towards us, and giving support and reporting advice and general feedback, your voice has been needed for sure.

Thanks for your constant presence on this forums, you're very active helping people, and your YouTube channel is absolutely inspiring. ;)

Imīnot sure..I think my trial period soon will end, havenīt tried it much lately though, would be nice if there will be a new trial demos,or a new point release within some months... so we can test how well it behaves for a little longer period.

Michael

I still don't know the plans for Update 2, but I really think the current release will get a lot of people productive!

lino.grandi
12-23-2014, 09:40 AM
I downloaded the new build to test a render bug I submitted. It doesn't crash anymore but most of the scene turns black now when rendering. I'm assuming that this build was pushed out before some bugs were completely fixed in order to get other fixes out to users. It looks like my 2015 trial has finally ended today.

Scenes turning black when rendering? Please report this with content!

allabulle
12-23-2014, 10:35 AM
Oh, already a patch? That's really good news. And another coming. If that is a new trend in the developing and releasing cycle at LW3DG I think it's a very good thing. I might upgrade after all in January. Congratulations LW3DG.

lino.grandi
12-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Speaking about updates....

In your accounts you can find an updated content as well. Gary Chike just found out a problem with a scene (a missing object).

If you try to load the scene named "Mecha_Walking.lws" from:

\lightwave_2015\2015_New_Features\Genoma2\Mecha_Ri g

....you'll receive a message telling you that an object named Body_Only_04 is missing.

Here's the object:

Sorry about that.

allabulle
12-23-2014, 11:12 AM
Thanks, Lino.

Nicolas Jordan
12-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Scenes turning black when rendering? Please report this with content!

A report for this has now been submitted.

lino.grandi
12-23-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks, Lino.

Sure.

A report for this has now been submitted.

Thank you!

Kuzey
12-23-2014, 12:20 PM
There seems to be a font issue/bug on the Mac side with Yosemite (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?145001-Fonts&p=1415461#post1415461)

LW11.6 & 2015

JamesCurtis
12-23-2014, 02:41 PM
On the note on missing Genoma 2 Demo file content, Lino, that was one of the objects I had mentioned earlier. Thanks for supplying it to fix the issue.

On the mention about crashing FiberFX scenes, The crashes seem to only happen after I have loaded and cleared a few other FiberFX scenes. A reboot or relaunch of LW usually results in a clean render with no crash. I was using the Update 2 content files. Same happened with the original content files. Memory retention issue?

jeric_synergy
12-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Thanks to all who report bugs-- can't squash 'em if they don't see 'em.

lino.grandi
12-24-2014, 02:17 AM
On the note on missing Genoma 2 Demo file content, Lino, that was one of the objects I had mentioned earlier. Thanks for supplying it to fix the issue.

Thank you for reporting it!

On the mention about crashing FiberFX scenes, The crashes seem to only happen after I have loaded and cleared a few other FiberFX scenes. A reboot or relaunch of LW usually results in a clean render with no crash. I was using the Update 2 content files. Same happened with the original content files. Memory retention issue?

It could be!
Please make a report with steps reproducing the problem.

Nicolas Jordan
12-24-2014, 07:58 AM
Sure.

Thank you!

Hi Lino, I was going to PM you about this but your PM box is full so I will post this here instead.

Regarding the "black rendering bug" I recently submitted I just wanted to mention that I noticed I may have been getting objects turning black in renderings because I was running LW2015 in Discovery Mode since my LW 2015 30 day Trial recently expired and I have not purchased the upgrade yet. I noticed the GI must be limited in the final render in some way in discovery mode so this may having been causing excessive black in the render and may not be a bug at all. I did not realize the Discovery Edition had limitations on final render output so I'm going to avoid using it from now on.

I hope to upgrade to LW 2015 soon and then I can do some proper testing!

VirtualFM
12-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Hello!

Just 5 minutes to share my story to the guys at Newtek, and the rest of whoever wants to read it.

When I read about all the features of Lightwave 2015 I wasn't exactly excited. Yeah, Constrains in Bullet are definitely welcomed, but I don't rely on Lightwave anymore when dealing with complex effects and there are crippling workflow decisions or limitations. Of course I will take a shot at them somewhere later in the future, but for now I don't rely on them. I don't deal much on character animation and never used Genoma, so Genoma 2 didn't get me excited (even if i agree it must be great), the line rendering might be useful now and then, but not really something I do often, and basically the only things that I really had an use for were the enhancements in rendering speed in Motion Blur and Radiosity, as I rely on Lightwave more as a rendering engine than anything else.

So I did download the trial to get a better fell of the overall enhancements, but got an hold on the update.

The trial didn't went very well either... As usual I crashed Layout in my first 5 minutes of testing it, then I found several weird things that either were not working or behaving in a weird form, but since i didn't know if it was "user error" and I actually don't have time to fill out bug reports and be sure it is a repeated and reproduceable behavior, I didn't report them.

In the meanwhile I got a new project in the end of November. A big project, with tons of rendering to do, realistic output, passes, etc I thought about upgrading then to, at least, take advantage of some of the workflow enhancemetns, but my hands were full and couldn't deal with new bugs I didn't know about, potential crashings or scene wrecking, and I know by experience that it's bad idea to upgrade for a new project without being sure we tested the essencial things, much less upgrade in the middle of a project.

However the project was really taking an heavy toll on my dwarf-renderfarm (2 computers!) and I thought LW 2015 could improve the rendertimes because of heavy improvements on Motion Blur rendering and radiosity. So I used the trial version in order to render some really heavy scenes (not heavy in polygons, but in rendertime, with very close-to-the-camera objects). Didn't work, as I found there were some black lines/bugs in some parts of the image that were not there with Lightwave 11.6.3. Those only appeared with Photoreal MoBlur on, so there was a bug.

So why I am telling all of this? Because even with all that, Lightwave 2015 saved the project! For two reasons:
1 - The camera matching thing was crucial in some scenes. It was so much more easier to match the camera using the new tools that I can't even imagine trying to match them in the regular way. i would either still be here trying to match the scenes or i would have to use Syntheyes or something similar.
2 - there was a VFX that required FiberFX. As usual, it all worked well in the tests (a ball and a simple scene), but when applying the effect to the real scene, which was heavy and full of mocap-data, I started to get crashes. I tried everything I could remember, even replicating the effect from scratch by copying all the parameters by hand without having to rely on "Load From Scene", but in the end Lightwave 11.6.3 crashed when pressing F9 or F10. In a desperate move I loaded that scene in Lightwave 2015, pressed F9 and... It didn't crash! So I rendered that FiberFX sequence in Lightwave 2015 and thus it saved the project.

After working 120 hour-weeks I needed a rest so only yesterday I came here to make the upgrade, as a reward because, after all, the project would not be possible without that effect and I would be completely screwed if I had not rendered that scene with LW 2015. But you know how it is, I was still reticent, indecise, I don't expect on having more projects like this one in the next months and the money is scarce in an Europe in decadence and a country almost bankrupt, only upgrading on the basis of rewarding Newtek and for the benefit of not having an heavy burden on my conscience, for using something without paying.

That's the point where I saw that there was a Lightwave 2015.1 upgrade already! I donwloaded it immediately, installed it, tested a scene and... WOW, the motion-blur black zones bug were gone! That closed the deal!

So there you are, I upgraded to Lightwave 2015 because it saved a project and because you seem committed to polish this version to be reliable. Heck, maybe I can even find an use for the constrains now! :-)

CaptainMarlowe
12-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks for your input. And I'm officially jealous, because I haven't upgraded yet. ;)

Snosrap
12-24-2014, 09:46 AM
I was going upgrade after Christmas anyway, but this upgrade just clinches it. I just wish NT would take Walmart gift cards as payment. :)

lino.grandi
12-24-2014, 10:20 AM
That's the point where I saw that there was a Lightwave 2015.1 upgrade already! I donwloaded it immediately, installed it, tested a scene and... WOW, the motion-blur black zones bug were gone! That closed the deal!

So there you are, I upgraded to Lightwave 2015 because it saved a project and because you seem committed to polish this version to be reliable. Heck, maybe I can even find an use for the constrains now! :-)

Thank you for sharing this.

We're doing our best to make LightWave always better, and we're glad that's something not going unnoticed.

Thank you again for your support.

chikega
12-24-2014, 10:36 AM
Great input, VirtualFM. I've been putting LW 2015.1 through it's paces :)

jasonwestmas
12-24-2014, 10:41 AM
A lot of good news Vritual FM, thanks for sharing all that. It gives me a good overall perspective of LW 2015.

lardbros
12-24-2014, 12:54 PM
Absolutely agree... The team have done a great job getting an update out so quickly... I'm excited by the commitment and by the presence of the team in the forum too! It's a deserved success guys... All the hard work is paying off! :)

motivalex
12-25-2014, 08:01 PM
Absolutely agree... The team have done a great job getting an update out so quickly... I'm excited by the commitment and by the presence of the team in the forum too! It's a deserved success guys... All the hard work is paying off! :)

This is a big positive. The quick update and team presence!

MG artist
12-26-2014, 03:29 AM
Thanks for the new update , amazing work and very quickly !

JamesCurtis
12-29-2014, 09:35 AM
Just received a notice about the bug/issue I was having in the 2015.1 update - -

(Case LWB-1206) Rendering FibeFX sample content crashes Layout

LightWave Customer Support

We actually have this reported by multiple people and have confirmed its existence. We hope to have an update in the near future that addresses this.

Thank you for having patience with our support during the holiday season.

Thank you for your report.
--
LightWave 3D Group Support

[email protected]

----Original Message----

FiberFX scene crashes after I have loaded and cleared a few other FiberFX or other scenes. A reboot or relaunch of LW usually results in a clean completed render with no crash of the scene then. I was using the Update 2 content files. Same thing happened with the original content files as well.

The occurrence has been hard to pin down to a single file load/render sequence, but the crashes have happened using the FberFX Examples included in the sample content - notably the Furry_Tail examples.

Maybe a memory retention issue?

My machine has 16 gigs of Ram.

LightWave 3D LW 2015.1
GFX: Nvidia GT 640 most current driver

----------------------------------------

Nice to know it's being fixed/looked into!!

GandB
12-29-2014, 09:36 AM
Wow; wasn't expecting them to do a patch run so soon. Kudos to the team for their efforts!

jeric_synergy
12-29-2014, 09:39 AM
"Monthly Bug Kill" has a nice ring to it.

Hey, a guy can dream, can't he?