PDA

View Full Version : Xfrog Sale

Megalodon2.0
12-22-2014, 03:39 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned here, but I saw this info over on the Modo forum. Xfrog is having a 70% sale.

The best package is ALL of their plants for $329. Not too shabby.

http://xfrog.com/category/xfrogplants.html

spherical
12-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Xfrog is always on sale. We got taken in at the 50% off that was supposedly ending at the close of last year. Never did. Promotion after promotion comes along, right on the heels of the previous; along with a bunch of free models. The recent 60% and 70% off sales would have been worth waiting for, had we known how they operate. Of course, then you have to deal with the arcane way of downloading them all. Tedious doesn't even scratch the surface, not to make a pun. I've had to ask for new links three times and still haven't gotten all that we purchased. Just too time consuming.

HarverdGrad
12-22-2014, 06:56 AM
I was considering the $329 deal and started to read the forums. The file by file download process looks crazy. Plus they require a special zip extractor from their site. Sort of forces you down the "include DVD" route but at $45 per DVD, per format (i.e obj, lightwave etc.)- doesn't seem like much of a deal.

jasonwestmas
12-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Their plants are purdy so I think it's worth it, despite the weird marketing and distribution.

Megalodon2.0
12-22-2014, 04:56 PM
Well... I just finished downloading the entire collection. I also have the DVD's coming as well. While I do have a fast internet connection, it wasn't too bad downloading. And while it wasn't the most pleasant experience downloading all of those files, it wasn't that bad - for me. And I've never seen a sale of theirs for 70% off - up to 50% yes, but not 70%. Not to say that it hasn't happened before, but I would bet that it's VERY rare.

And while the downloading may be somewhat tedious, you do only have to download the files ONCE. And then you can enjoy the savings and some very good models. And I don't see too many people needing ALL of the formats. I've bought about half a dozen of their DVD collections and have NEVER ONCE used anything other than LWO. I would have liked an FBX format and perhaps would have used the Vue format, but other than that LWO works just fine as the single format since it imports into most programs without a problem. And Accutrans can help with other formats if required.

Anyway... doesn't matter to me if anyone buys in or not - I don't get any commission. :) I've got some great models that I will definitely be using in my archviz work and can use a little more 3D as opposed to 2D billboards. The speed of LW today along with much faster machines removes most of the impediment of using 3D foliage. And at about 12.5 cents per model... I'll take it. :dance:

I was considering the $329 deal and started to read the forums. The file by file download process looks crazy. Plus they require a special zip extractor from their site. Sort of forces you down the "include DVD" route but at $45 per DVD, per format (i.e obj, lightwave etc.)- doesn't seem like much of a deal.

My old version of WinRar works just fine unpacking the files.

HarverdGrad
12-22-2014, 05:40 PM

Okay- after Megalodon's last post- I looked at the deal (what he wrote made sense).
I went ahead an ordered it.

I'd like to revise my above comment..

The special Zip Extractor is 7zip (no biggie- it's a great, free, open-source extractor). The other comment is in regards to the downloads. I was under the impression it was file by file, but it's really region- and however many formats you requested. For example- the attached screen shot has 4 zips to download for all plants in the Africa Library (I requested Lightwave, OBJ, & Modo. One other zip is the Billboards). All the other regions follow the same pattern, so what I thought would be hundreds and hundreds- really isn't.

Finally, in regards to pricing. Download one of the free plant libraries, and they will send you an invoice for the download link. Pay attention to the invoice because it includes a 10% off coupon for your next order. So you can essentially order the whole deal for ~$296.

Regards~

erikals
12-22-2014, 06:07 PM
one thing i didn't like is that the files seemed Huge... 300-400MB for a single tree...

Megalodon2.0
12-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Finally, in regards to pricing. Download one of the free plant libraries, and they will send you an invoice for the download link. Pay attention to the invoice because it includes a 10% off coupon for your next order. So you can essentially order the whole deal for ~$296.

Damn! Missed that! :cursin:

one thing i didn't like is that the files seemed Huge... 300-400MB for a single tree...

I just checked the three Xfrog libraries that I uploaded to our NAS - the largest was an Eastern tree just under 18mb - LWO format. I don't recall ANY Xfrog files being anywhere near that large. I think you must be thinking of another library - unless there is a an Xfrog collection that is super large?

erikals
12-22-2014, 06:37 PM
hm, strange, i'm quite sure it was Xfrog, maybe .obj or .fbx format, but knowing this is very good http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif
thank you for informing, guess it's worth a second look...

spherical
12-22-2014, 06:44 PM
All the other regions follow the same pattern, so what I thought would be hundreds and hundreds- really isn't.

No, it isn't each and every plant individually. When you have all of the libraries to get, and have five formats to get them in, it still gets tedious. I figure that if they prepare files for the applications that I have, I may as well use the native versions. Converting them all four times would be worse than downloading them. What gets me is that they timeout the links and make you request updated ones in order to continue. Their links are in no particular order when you get a new set. The web page is fine but when those links timeout, the ones you get in an email are all mixed up. Just give me a login to a web interface where only I can get what I purchased; whenever I need it. What is so difficult about that?

erikals
12-22-2014, 06:53 PM
what about just buying Xfrog 3.5 instead... > $119
http://xfrog.com/category/xfrog-for-windows.html

Megalodon2.0
12-22-2014, 07:03 PM
hm, strange, i'm quite sure it was Xfrog, maybe .obj or .fbx format, but knowing this is very good http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

OBJ is definitely larger. And the Maya files are the largest at 140gb for the entire library whereas LWO is only 40gb for the entirety. So you are probably right that some of the Xfrog trees are huge - just not in LWO format.

No, it isn't each and every plant individually. When you have all of the libraries to get, and have five formats to get them in, it still gets tedious. I figure that if they prepare files for the applications that I have, I may as well use the native versions. Converting them all four times would be worse than downloading them. What gets me is that they timeout the links and make you request updated ones in order to continue. Their links are in no particular order when you get a new set. The web page is fine but when those links timeout, the ones you get in an email are all mixed up. Just give me a login to a web interface where only I can get what I purchased; whenever I need it. What is so difficult about that?

If I were paying full price I would agree. I would want ALL of the file formats since - as you say - you might as well use the native versions. But at 70% off... I can deal with one format. And since it also comes with the .xfr files I can always get the program and export them in the native file format that way - if I HAVE to. Fortunately I have no other use for the other formats.

I started downloading the files last night, went to bed, and then downloaded the rest today. I was only able to download four files at a time, and then had to wait about five to ten minutes before downloading the next four. As I said previously, not great, but acceptable. But if I had to download the entire collection with ALL of the formats - 703gb... forget it. I'd wait for the DVD's. :)

spherical
12-22-2014, 07:17 PM
What really got me was that when I first bought in, the web page did come in pretty jumbled up. So, I edited my own version of it, culling all of the extraneous stuff, and began downloading them in a sensible order. Way easier to keep track of. Then, to my surprise, the lings all failed. That's when I learned of the [email protected]$$ idea to timeout the links and my ordered web page was worthless. What a stupid system to adhere to.

jasonwestmas
12-22-2014, 08:12 PM

300 mb is in the 10-15 million quad-polygon range. I don't think these plants/trees are that heavy.

sukardi
12-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Okay- after Megalodon's last post- I looked at the deal (what he wrote made sense).
I went ahead an ordered it.

I'd like to revise my above comment..

The special Zip Extractor is 7zip (no biggie- it's a great, free, open-source extractor). The other comment is in regards to the downloads. I was under the impression it was file by file, but it's really region- and however many formats you requested. For example- the attached screen shot has 4 zips to download for all plants in the Africa Library (I requested Lightwave, OBJ, & Modo. One other zip is the Billboards). All the other regions follow the same pattern, so what I thought would be hundreds and hundreds- really isn't.

Regards~

Even better, wait for few days and they will send you an email with 15% discount. That was What I got :)

erikals
12-22-2014, 08:16 PM
300 mb is in the 10-15 million quad-polygon range. I don't think these plants/trees are that heavy.
trust me, they were, but i probably downloaded the wrong file or something
i'm almost certain it was from Xfrog...

but like Mega said, the .lwo files are small, so it'd make sense to use those

good to see no one else experienced the problem :]