PDA

View Full Version : Warner McGee Tip: Point Normal Move

rdolishny
12-21-2014, 02:43 PM
So many things I'm learning in the Warner McGee Modo videos. You should really buy the tutorials the whole set is $50.

http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/modo/training-videos/warner-mcgee-training/

Here's just one I'll share for now: in Modo you have translation on normals, if it's in Lightwave I can't find it. I sort of did find something new (for me) though in Lightwave: Point Normal Move.

Select a point or points and give that a try when sculpting or refining a mesh. In Modo I think it's called push and pull, and Modo has the added value of falloff. But for quick and easy pushing and pulling along a normal in Modeler, this is a great function I didn't know existed.

If you can share a way to push and pull geometry with falloff, please let me know. Thanks!

3dbr
12-22-2014, 12:06 AM
If I understand correctly, this
Pole Evenly Tool (Modify>Transform) in mode Fallow>Polygon and Point Radial, work how push and pull

p.s. Move Plus+Right mouse= Point Normal Move

Surrealist.
12-22-2014, 08:40 PM
Maybe I am not understanding. But I think what you want - for interactive approach is ";" key is Dragnet. Tool and right click drag to adjust the fall off. (basically the drag tool with point radial fall off)

It does not work on the normal direction but I find that to be a specialized case. I prefer drag net for basic sculpt-like editing, more free-form. When I want to move along the normals I find that as a more exact function with a specific selection.

Is that what you are looking for?

chikega
12-22-2014, 09:46 PM
The "Push" Tool in MODO is the equivalent of the new "Point Normal Move" in Lightwave, except that "Push" can effect vertices, edges and polygons. As 3dbr mentioned above, the older "Move Plus" + Right Mouse = "Point Normal Move".

jeric_synergy
12-23-2014, 01:26 AM
Are we STILL lacking a "Poly Normal Move" tool???

erikals
12-23-2014, 04:25 AM
Are we STILL lacking a "Poly Normal Move" tool???
with falloff?
yes we are...

i'd like something like this >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPUkCJ_kC3I

rdolishny
12-23-2014, 07:04 AM
with falloff?
yes we are...

i'd like something like this >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPUkCJ_kC3I

That video was perfect. In fact, the placement of a Normal switch under the Falloff pulldown is exactly where I think it should go, too.

Lots of workaround guys but I'm about 4h into an excellent 20+h Modo tutorial video series and stumbled a bit with a move-on-normal solution. I found it with the Point Normal Move tool, but have pretty much fallen off the wagon after finishing the topology section. The topology pen in Modo is amazing, and was released in Modo 601. Modeler is starting to show its age, but I'm sticking with it and will report back.

erikals
12-23-2014, 07:19 AM
yep, lack of stuff like this made me a bit disappointed in LightWave 2015, hopefully LW3DG will strike back soon...

Surrealist.
12-23-2014, 08:39 AM
If that is what you want I think the pole evenly tool (as mentioned above) set to point radial fall off is what you'd want. Correct?

lertola2
12-23-2014, 09:23 AM
If that is what you want I think the pole evenly tool (as mentioned above) set to point radial fall off is what you'd want. Correct?

The pole evenly only moves points towards or away from the origin. It does not move them along the points normals. You can simulate point normal using a weight map for falloff by sending your object to Layout and applying Normal Displacement on the Deform tab of the Objects Properties panel. Set up the displacement texture with a gradient that that uses the weight map as the input parameter. Then save transformed object to bring the shape back to Modeler. This is a convoluted way to model but it works.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=92812&d=1297826846

Surrealist.
12-23-2014, 10:40 AM
Yeah that's right. You can also do it with a paint morph trick in Modeler on a smooth scaled morph.

I was coming from the idea that what was wanted was a fall off kind of sculptly thing and you are right I was not paying enough attention to that tool. It is pretty close though. Way different than Drag Net. Much closer to a Point Normal move, if fact it is pretty close but seems more viewport dependent.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

chikega
12-23-2014, 11:11 AM
In 3dCoat, the move tool can also move along the normal by holding the Ctrl key which helps to be more spontaneous instead of changing the option in a menu. Both would be ideal.

I see Sculpting functions as a natural evolution of Point Normal Move, Drag Net and the like. MODO did a good job transitioning to this modality with it's Sculpt tools. Silo was moving in this direction with it's soft selection modality before it's development slowed down to a halt.

Surrealist.
12-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Yeah I like painty kind of tools. Even though when I am modeling in a 3D app I am usually going for a more precise approach, it is nice to have the painty kind of sculpt tools to switch to every now and again when doing something like a car body etc.

When I was modeling characters with polygons I used these things all the time. But now I do that in Zbrush and spend most of my time retopo in a 3D app and then other more mechanical modeling. But still it is nice to have.

So if I were making a request it would be for a sculpt mode go into of some kind. If only to be able to bulge smooth, push and pull etc.

jeric_synergy
12-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Point Normal Move should be EASIER to get at (I can never remember if it's MOVE PLUS or TRANSLATE or what, and it should not be a RMB thing).

POLY Normal Move should exist.

All tools should have Falloff options (they do NOT, take a look), which IMO is Yet Another Inexplicable LW Inconsistancy, or YAILWI.

Feature-wise, single press Falloff should be implemented , which may be as easy as a script, esp. for "Tool X+specific-falloff" implementations. (It may not be possible to ONLY set Falloff, while Tool+Falloff I believe is doable.)