PDA

View Full Version : Pixie Dust

Andy Webb
12-19-2014, 12:11 PM
This plugin no longer seems to be in LW2015, can't find it anywhere.

It's still shown in the LW2015 manual though... :stumped:

prometheus
12-19-2014, 01:03 PM
This plugin no longer seems to be in LW2015, can't find it anywhere.

It's still shown in the LW2015 manual though... :stumped:

doing some renders in 11.6 now, so I really canīt check, this of course means they are about to update hypervoxels the next release, donīt you think:D

Nah..probably very few actually using pixie dust, donīt think I have ever had any use for it, said to be good to render faster, but I didnīt see any faster advantages against sprites, and sprites reacts to lights better than pixie dust I thought.
so I wouldnīt be surprised they just excluded it in the main setup, but it might be there in the plugins folder unloaded..I could check the folders of course.

Michael

prometheus
12-19-2014, 01:06 PM
You know..it is easy to just use windows explorer and go to program files newtek and do a search for pixie dust...try it, or go to 2015/support/plugins/effects...mine is there anyway.

If you can not access it in volumetrics drop down tab, locate it manually with edit plugins.

caustics
12-19-2014, 03:29 PM
Hi,

I've a default LW2015 installation on my iMac and for me the PixiDust effect is listed under the "Add Volumetric" drop down list in the "Volumetrics and Fog" dialog.

Regrds.

Andy Webb
12-19-2014, 05:09 PM
I'll double check, but I couldn't find it.

No problem, I've never used either but the manual suggested it rendered quick and for what I wanted it sounded better than HV.

Andy Webb
12-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Hi,

I've a default LW2015 installation on my iMac and for me the PixiDust effect is listed under the "Add Volumetric" drop down list in the "Volumetrics and Fog" dialog.

Regrds.

Yes it is there, just couldn't find where you added it, too late now I used HVs.

Cheers

jeric_synergy
12-20-2014, 12:33 AM
BTW, iirc DWBurman has some Liberty3d tutorials on using Pixie Dust, if you want to save yourself some annoying research time.

Kaptive
12-20-2014, 06:31 AM
You know..it is easy to just use windows explorer and go to program files newtek and do a search for pixie dust...try it

A program I'd recommend, because I find Windows search slow and it doesn't always seem to find what I want... is Everything. http://www.voidtools.com/

It catalogues your hard drives really fast (I've got about 8 Tbs and it takes about 5 mins). But after that, search is instant. In my LW workflow, I have found this program to speed up all those instances when I can't find an object or image (or plugin!). It is especially useful when package scene screws up and you need to locate whatever was dropped. Give it a try, it really is a great little program...

jeric_synergy
12-20-2014, 12:47 PM
Thnks for the recommendation: I've been using AgentRansack but it doesn't index the drive, even though it's quite fast. But lately my storage has expanded and I'm no longer willing to wait.

PLUS, I hate their taskbar icon because it's just really damn hard to SEE.

prometheus
12-20-2014, 02:17 PM
I'll double check, but I couldn't find it.

No problem, I've never used either but the manual suggested it rendered quick and for what I wanted it sounded better than HV.

I am under the notion and feeling that hv sprites in similar size actually renders faster in final renders than pixie dust, and it also updates faster in vpr than pixie dust, and you also have better control over size and opacity lighting etc in hypervoxels...but it might be milliseconds in differences

There is a question about the pixie dust shading ..where that would look better? given certain scenarios, pixie dust with custom colors have some other gradients..ray to particle and relative ray, and include standard particle birth etc, no local density gradients..which in use with hv can dissolve particles based on particle amount/clustering.

As I can see..hv seem to render faster 0,6 seconds as opposed to 0,8 on what I think is the similar particle size.
pixie dust fixed grid size with high values will render much faster, but id doesnīt matter how high I go there, it still renders slower than hv sprites.

prometheus
12-20-2014, 02:37 PM
I found that by fiddling with pixie dust opacity and lower it quite a lot, I got pretty nice rendering of some particles, that might look better than sprites, not sure..just discovered it. pixie dust do not recognize light information in the scene ..just ambient light.

just noticed that pixie dust in the manual is under the HeadLines of Hypervoxels, I do question the truth about pixie dust rendering faster than hv sprites though. maybe that donīt take effect until there is millions of particles or something?

Michael