PDA

View Full Version : Genoma

sebrady
12-19-2014, 09:17 AM
I added a Genoma rig in Modlerto a human form.
I moved and sized the bones as needed.

In Layout, I clicked create rig.
I CANNOT see the human form. Nothing renders, I can only see the rig, or the human form in wireframe mode but it does NOT render.
what is going on.

bobakabob
12-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Check the Scene Editor... All in the manuals. You probably have rendering unticked next to the object.

sebrady
12-20-2014, 10:30 AM
the model looked fine in Modeler. In Layout, the transparency was 100%. I have no idea why this happened but now everything works.

As a side note, when I "create rig" in layout, sometimes everything goes perfect, other times, when i create rig, things get all messed up. No consistency. i love Genoma when it works.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Why does this happen? Does it have some utility?

lino.grandi
12-21-2014, 02:29 AM
the model looked fine in Modeler. In Layout, the transparency was 100%. I have no idea why this happened but now everything works.

As a side note, when I "create rig" in layout, sometimes everything goes perfect, other times, when i create rig, things get all messed up. No consistency. i love Genoma when it works.

Genoma has nothing to do with object's surfacing. If you get something like the transparency set to 100%, that must be something else.

Starduster
12-21-2014, 05:28 AM
Just got LW_2015 and thought I'd try Genoma 2. Never tried Genoma in LW11 and I have not animated much in years so my issue may be a "head space and timing" issue. Anyway, Genoma is a very nice rigging tool. So much easier to rig than I remember.

Everything works great until I try to animate the rig. Even the smallest movement is so slow. Moving the arm down to the side in IK took minutes. Am I forgetting something? Do I need a faster computer?
Mine is a I7 2700K 32GB Ram and a GTX970 video card. The model is 118000 subd'd polys.

RebelHill
12-21-2014, 06:17 AM
Genoma rigs arent the speediest... but run bare should give realtime playback on most systems... What causes REAL slowdown is having interactive mesh deformations. If using SubD... you'll need to use division level 0... if that's still too slow (depends how many polys youve got) you'll need to use proxy geo. Also, theres a bug in 2015 atm whereby layout slows down massively if you have the classic scene editor open and items expanded... so close that too.

Ryan Roye
12-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Everything works great until I try to animate the rig. Even the smallest movement is so slow. Moving the arm down to the side in IK took minutes. Am I forgetting something? Do I need a faster computer?

The genoma 2 biped/quadraped rigs can have 3-4 rigs present in the scene without a major hit in performance and are indeed efficient with computer resources. The Genoma 1 rig presets, however, are a different story as having more than 2 rigs present in the scene will noticeably impact playback.

Some things to check regarding your question:

1) Make sure FSPE is disabled in general options. This is something that is being phased out and should only be enabled when absolutely needed. It can produce a major performance hit on any scene, and in some cases it can cause unpredictable results.

2) In most cases animators set the mesh to a subpatch level of 1, which provides a decent balance between visual clarity and reduces performance hits from deformations (deformations being how the bones affect the character's polygons/points).

3) Make sure Studio Live is OFF. For typical character rigging it should not be needed, and it is really meant for animating in real-time like is often the case with hardware device usage.

4) If your character has a lot of transparent textures on them, disabling transparent textures will boost your playback speed quite a bit. This is especially relevant if you did something like use the Place Mesh tool in modeler to cover the character with semi-transparent polygons. Lightwave does not yet display OpenGL transparency very efficiently in terms of computer resources.

lino.grandi
12-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Just got LW_2015 and thought I'd try Genoma 2. Never tried Genoma in LW11 and I have not animated much in years so my issue may be a "head space and timing" issue. Anyway, Genoma is a very nice rigging tool. So much easier to rig than I remember.

Mine is a I7 2700K 32GB Ram and a GTX970 video card. The model is 118000 subd'd polys.

Genoma rigs are very fast. No math expression involved, no Sliders, just basic IK and Same as Item setup.
What can slow down your rig are other things (some mentioned by chazriker).

Your model looks pretty heavy!

Things you can do to speed up deformations:

- Set Subdivision Level to 0.
- Set Subdiision order to first (this will make deformations look worse, but if you set the Subd Level to 0, you will see no difference at all).
- Select a bone, open the Bone panel and disable Use Morph Positions, and make sure Faster Bones is on. This will make so only 2 bones can deform the same vertex.
- Use Weight maps to group body parts. In theory, if you can create one weight for each single bone with no crossing weights (like for a mechanical object with no "soft" parts), that will greatly speed up deformations.
- Make sure Threaded Mesh Evaluation is on in the General Options
- Make sure Alpha Clipping is selected for Transparencing Sorting (GL options).

I hope this helps.

jeric_synergy
12-21-2014, 10:23 AM
Rebel Hill, Chazriker, thank you both for your invaluable insights into such details! :bowdown:

(How the heck does "invaluable" mean "very valuable indeed"?)

Starduster
12-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Thanks RH, No scene editor open and I reduced the Div Level to 0 and it's much faster - I used to always set it to 1 - I guess this character is just to busy.

Starduster
12-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Lino, Genoma is fantastic. The tutorial vids are great. Thanks for the links and the tips. They all worked well.

I picked a ridiculously over modeled character to animate - not smart. But it does prove to me that Genoma does allow one to animate even a complex model on a modest computer.

Great job Lino!!!

lino.grandi
12-22-2014, 04:06 AM
Lino, Genoma is fantastic. The tutorial vids are great. Thanks for the links and the tips. They all worked well.

I picked a ridiculously over modeled character to animate - not smart. But it does prove to me that Genoma does allow one to animate even a complex model on a modest computer.

Great job Lino!!!

Thank you!

While we're working on the next version of LightWave so to make our software even more powerful about character animation , tools like Genoma and RHiggit can really help a lot make rigging a character something possible to anyone.