PDA

View Full Version : Best and fastest way to render 360 Panorama in Lightwave?

Nicolas Jordan
12-17-2014, 07:59 AM
I have been trying to figure out the best way to render 360 degree panoramas in Lightwave. The most obvious way is to probably use the Advanced Camera with settings to render a spherical image but the main problem with that is the Advanced Camera is not using multiple threads for most of the rendering process and it can take a very long time to render a large image. The Advanced Camera was implemented in version 9.0 so I'm surprised it is nolonger taking full advantage of technology and in need of a n update. Is there any plugins out there or any other way that can be used to render these 360 degree views in Lightwave. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

Ma3rk
12-17-2014, 09:46 AM
I have been trying to figure out the best way to render 360 degree panoramas in Lightwave. The most obvious way is to probably use the Advanced Camera with settings to render a spherical image but the main problem with that is the Advanced Camera is not using multiple threads for most of the rendering process and it can take a very long time to render a large image. The Advanced Camera was implemented in version 9.0 so I'm surprised it is nolonger taking full advantage of technology and in need of a n update. Is there any plugins out there or any other way that can be used to render these 360 degree views in Lightwave. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful.

You might check out Liberty 3D's UberCam: http://www.liberty3d.com/tools/ubercam-camera-plugin/

Nicolas Jordan
12-17-2014, 09:55 AM
You might check out Liberty 3D's UberCam: http://www.liberty3d.com/tools/ubercam-camera-plugin/

Thanks I will check that out! One of the best things about Lightwave is that there always seems to be plugins that usually make up for any shortcoming the program might have.

MSherak
12-17-2014, 10:17 AM

Just make your own camera using an object with UV's. Here is a sphere example.

(AdvanceCamera with a sphere setting and 360 is a mirror ball probe render)

stiff paper
12-18-2014, 07:38 AM
AdvanceCamera with a sphere setting and 360 is a mirror ball probe render
Typo! Surface Baking Camera. (But we forgive you because -BZZT!- is the correct answer! Also, you included a pic. And it's christmas.)

Nicolas Jordan
12-18-2014, 07:46 AM
Just make your own camera using an object with UV's. Here is a sphere example.

(AdvanceCamera with a sphere setting and 360 is a mirror ball probe render)

As soon as I get a chance I will test that out as well. I wonder if the surface baking camera takes advantage of multi threading?

Danner
12-18-2014, 09:15 AM
11.6.3 added it I beleive.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/11-6_features_overview/
"Surface Baker Camera -The Surface Baking Camera recieves a boost in speed by taking advantage of multiple processor cores "

Sensei
12-18-2014, 10:19 AM
" Best and fastest way to render 360 Panorama in Lightwave? "

Environment Baking Camera from TrueArt's Modeling Pack.
See video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq5yRATeFms
Can it be any easier?

MSherak, such generated UV mapped sphere won't be possible to use inside of Effects > Backdrop > Textured Environment or baked environment HDRI reflections/refractions in shaders/nodes...

Width should be twice Height. 360 degrees in one axis, and -90...+90=180 degrees in other axis.

Nicolas Jordan
12-19-2014, 07:01 AM
" Best and fastest way to render 360 Panorama in Lightwave? "

Environment Baking Camera from TrueArt's Modeling Pack.
See video tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq5yRATeFms
Can it be any easier?

MSherak, such generated UV mapped sphere won't be possible to use inside of Effects > Backdrop > Textured Environment or baked environment HDRI reflections/refractions in shaders/nodes...

Width should be twice Height. 360 degrees in one axis, and -90...+90=180 degrees in other axis.

I will keep that in mind as well if I can't come up with a decent solution.

Nicolas Jordan
12-20-2014, 06:06 AM
I came up with a clumsy method but it will at least take full advantage of multi-threading for rendering. I set up 6 cameras, one pointed along each axis. I changed the FOV on each to 90 degrees in order for the combined camera views to form a cube. I then used the "universal camera selector" to set each view to render one after another. I just need to stitch them together to get the full panoramic image.

XswampyX
12-20-2014, 07:38 AM
Just bake out a mirrored spheres surface, like so.

It uses all 6 of my cores, you just need the correct UV map.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126179&d=1419086067

Makes : -

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=126180&d=1419086237

Sensei
12-20-2014, 11:27 AM
XswampyX, can you attach above scene?

XswampyX
12-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Of course. :)

Sensei
12-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks.

I will show you how it works with Environment Baking Camera.

There is huge distortion.
Compare them off-line in Photoshop/Image viewer.

XswampyX
12-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Well I don't know about 'huge distortion', but then size is relative.

If you up the geometry count in the sphere then you can get it to look closer to your camera, but the number of the samples at the top and the bottom seem to be far less.

Your camera makes/bakes a lot better images, not only is it distortion free, it's got a better sample count at the poles. :thumbsup:

Sensei
12-20-2014, 12:55 PM
Use both image maps as Effects > Backdrop > Textured Environment sources. Turn on VPR, and spin viewport. You should not be able to tell where is north-south pole, if environment map is correctly generated.

Lewis
12-20-2014, 01:03 PM
This all are silly workarounds and will make you do so much more work and fiddling than you actually need and will possibly be evne more problematic on bigger projects and more time consuming. Yes Advanced Camera is sadly single threaded (i reported that problem like year ago and they said they are aware of that problem but not said will it be solved anytime soon). Most easy/elegant and way is UberCam plugin, go buy plugin and you are done with 2 clicks, no fiddling with UVs, no fiddling with mutliple cameras or any other workaround. Just point and shoot and you get perfect 360 panorama ready for PanoTour ;). I've rendered 5k, 10k and 15k Panoramas with Ubercam easily.

Nicolas Jordan
12-20-2014, 04:35 PM
This all are silly workarounds and will make you do so much more work and fiddling than you actually need and will possibly be evne more problematic on bigger projects and more time consuming. Yes Advanced Camera is sadly single threaded (i reported that problem like year ago and they said they are aware of that problem but not said will it be solved anytime soon). Most easy/elegant and way is UberCam plugin, go buy plugin and you are done with 2 clicks, no fiddling with UVs, no fiddling with mutliple cameras or any other workaround. Just point and shoot and you get perfect 360 panorama ready for PanoTour ;). I've rendered 5k, 10k and 15k Panoramas with Ubercam easily.

Thanks for the advice Lewis! I have a large residential project to do. For past projects I have been modeling in Lightwave and rendering in Modo for these because Modo has a very nice multi threaded spherical camera. The only thing that can sometimes be a pain is if I have to update my models and I'm constantly moving models between Modo and Lightwave which can sometimes be problematic and cause strange issues with Modos shadertree. I was thinking about just sticking to rendering in Lightwave for this most recent project in order to streamline my workflow. If I decide to use Lightwave to render I guess I will have to get the UberCam plugin to make up for the Advanced Cameras shortcomings or do my rendering in Modo like I have done in the past. I sure hope they add a new spherical camera to Lightwave or make the Advanced Camera multi threaded soon.

Sensei
12-20-2014, 04:42 PM
Advanced Camera doesn't produce perfect spherical mapping AFAIK ready to be used by environment maps. There were distortions visible the last time I checked. So fixing multi-threading is not enough.

spherical
12-20-2014, 07:05 PM
I came up with a clumsy method but it will at least take full advantage of multi-threading for rendering. I set up 6 cameras, one pointed along each axis. I changed the FOV on each to 90 degrees in order for the combined camera views to form a cube. I then used the "universal camera selector" to set each view to render one after another. I just need to stitch them together to get the full panoramic image.

That's what I do, except I set one camera and keyframe it to rotate to the 6 directions in 6 frames and render the image sequence.

Sensei
12-20-2014, 07:11 PM
That's what I do, except I set one camera and keyframe it to rotate to the 6 directions in 6 frames and render the image sequence.

What for? You have Environment Baking Camera. Pick it up in camera type drop-down list..

spherical
12-20-2014, 07:31 PM
Going to a cube VR projection, it seemed the most straightforward way to go.

Sensei
12-20-2014, 07:34 PM
Cubic projection doesn't utilize image map efficiently.

spherical
12-20-2014, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I know that spheres have the least amount of surface area enclosing a given volume. It worked for what I needed it to at the time; which was quite a while ago. The point was: an alternative method of shooting 6 (or any number of) discreet vectors using only one camera, not 6.

Nicolas Jordan
12-20-2014, 09:21 PM

That's a better way of doing it than the method I had. With your method you only have to worry about changing settings on one camera instead of 6.

spherical
12-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Just make sure you have Motion Blur turned off. :D

probiner
08-02-2016, 06:37 PM
What for? You have Environment Baking Camera. Pick it up in camera type drop-down list..

I don't :D http://prntscr.com/c0wazk

I see it's part of your Modeling pack.

Anyways, even if slow to render swampy's scene with a more detailed sphere (specially at the top. Works out just fine!
Cheers

erikals
08-03-2016, 12:20 AM
Anyways, even if slow to render swampy's scene with a more detailed sphere (specially at the top. Works out just fine!

seem to recall Rob doing something similar in the Avatar Previews...