PDA

View Full Version : Spline Control path into Modeller

raw-m
12-17-2014, 06:36 AM
I have an object using Spline Control. SC is made up of 5 nodes and I really need the path in Modeller. I'm currently having to bake the motion of an object using SC but I'd much rather just have a spline in Modeller made up of 5 points in the same positions as in Layout. Any quick "Send Spline to Modeller" script recommended?

ernpchan
12-18-2014, 11:03 PM
You should be able to use this. https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/vector-data-importer/

You'll have to manually make the text file with your vectors but since you only have 5 that shouldn't be too bad. I could look into making a companion script to get selected nulls and the make the list of vectors.

raw-m
12-19-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks ernpchan, I think I'm just going to have to get used to generating these things in Modeller first, workable but really annoying without any camera reference.

ernpchan
12-19-2014, 09:10 AM
I'll still make the script to generate the vector list from Layout. At the very least it's an interesting scripting puzzle for me.

Maybe I could then figure out a way to make the connection between Layout and Modeler more seamless.

raw-m
12-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Good luck! I've tried a couple of those Scene to Modeler scripts but don't work with nulls, just objects.

ernpchan
12-19-2014, 11:53 AM
Good luck! I've tried a couple of those Scene to Modeler scripts but don't work with nulls, just objects.

I was able to make this curve from the DinoShark_Animation scene that comes with the 11.6 content. Unclear to me if that geo is useful or not though.

jeric_synergy
12-19-2014, 01:18 PM
(here I go again) On that notional whiteboard in the notional devs office, it'd be nice if one of the checklist items was "Two-way data exchange".

That is: Spline Control is GREAT, don't get me wrong, but it would be nice if it were anticipated that everything we can send to Layout we should be able to send to Modeler.

If one is going to plant the flag on the separation of the two apps, AKA "anti-unification", one should also make that separation as functional as possible. That means a two-way street for ALL data.

(Fortunately, this is the kind of thing that can most likely be solved with a script, a neglected strategy in my opinion.)

lertola2
12-21-2014, 07:49 AM
There is an Export_Spline command in Layout. Is that what you want?

raw-m
12-21-2014, 11:13 AM
Blimey! Thanks lertola2. How long has that been there?!

jeric_synergy
12-21-2014, 11:23 AM
There is an Export_Spline command in Layout. Is that what you want?
DAMN! Mine was unassigned!!! Sheesh. Where is it usually in the UI???

Good catch lertola2! :thumbsup:

OH WAIT: I get a "Cannot load external plugin" error..... will investigate.